First Layout (for a while) - 2009 UPDATE SEE PAGE 3

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
[qifop]

First Layout (for a while) - 2009 UPDATE SEE PAGE 3

Post by [qifop] »

My first post,

Had a very small layout when I was 10, I am now 26. A recent career change means I am stuck in London, alone during the week only seeing the family at Weekends. Therefore I needed to occupy myself, so I thought... I'll build another railway!

Limited on space as only a flat, so layout is based on a 6x4 base (ish), already designed the track after weeks of planning with HVR and also R-Track.

The base board is built, with 2x1 studding and 9mm MDF. I have also sealed the MDF. My plan involves about 17mtrs of track, OO scale. I am purchasing a Pendolino set purely because I need most the track it comes with and want the layout to be DCC, and after pricing everything up seems cheaper to get the set than buying bits (exc the train) separately however will most likely stick the train itself on feebay as I feel it is too long for my layout. I am looking to base my layout as modern and will feature various DMU's.

Will post pictures over the weekend as the bulk of the construction will begin then, picking up the Pendolino set, additional track etc on Friday.

Hoping to have all the track laid by a week Friday (inc ballasting) excluding the "special" section (more details later in week).

Look forward to the help you guys can offer.

Rob

EDIT - Work starts tomorrow with the help of my g/f's "artistic" skills. I have all the track. Will take plenty of pics and post next week.

here are the track plans, the elevation is going to be abit hit and miss I think, going to try it on hornby cheapo mounts then if it works will build it onto scenery. Notice how I ran out of space by about 2'"'s! I am going to mount some pillars to the end of my layout!

Scrub that my virgin media webspace doesnt want to let me host pictures anymore..... will come back later with another method
Last edited by [qifop] on Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bushey Troughs

Re: First Layout (for a while)

Post by Bushey Troughs »

Hi Rob, wecome aboard the NRM forum. Photobucket seems to be the host of choice, just keep the pics to 800 x whatever, pixels..... :lol:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Thanks,

All I am getting is "it was not possible to determind the dimensions of the image"? I have used lots of forums for car stuff etc but this is a new one on me? The file itself is fine.

Here is link to design anyway....

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo15 ... layout.jpg

Will post some pictures on Sunday and then update regular on my progress, im hoping to move swiftly on.

Finally some pictures.... (of nothing!)

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo15 ... dblank.jpg

oh and the essentials for any Adult modeller!

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo15 ... ntials.jpg
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

HINT: You're using the wrong link :wink:

If you copy the "IMG code" for each picture and paste that into your post it comes up like this:-
[qifop] wrote:Thanks,

All I am getting is "it was not possible to determind the dimensions of the image"? I have used lots of forums for car stuff etc but this is a new one on me? The file itself is fine.

Here is link to design anyway....

Will post some pictures on Sunday and then update regular on my progress, im hoping to move swiftly on.

Finally some pictures.... (of nothing!)

oh and the essentials for any Adult modeller!

Paul
frolly

Post by frolly »

this will keep your mind off other things

Plenty of cans! and a layout to work on. :D

i'm not too sure you will have enough fall in the track (bottom right) for the other line to cross over like that though
Frolly from Derby
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Cheers!

Yeah I was wondering about that, will scrap the yard if need be and move it in the center somewhere, off to collect the pile of track in a min.

Going to try the elevation with the cheapo hornby £8 job, and if it works going to build it into the scenery (as those things look horrid!).

Will keep you posted!

(thanks for the help with posting the pics, will remember that for next time ;) )
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Update,

Got all the stuff, laid the track. Marked where ballast is to go. Found some fantastic paint which includes grit for £6 at B&Q which looks good already. Have ballast ready to lay on to the track tomorrow. Waiting for paint to dry at the moment. Then hopefully pin down the track tonight and start on frame for tunnel. Pics as below.

More tomorrow.
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

As expected, the plan did not work. The elevation was a nightmare, and extending the board to accomendate it was even more of a problem.

Re-designed the whole track Saturday, laid it, marked the board, removed it, resprayed the base "ballast spray" on Sat night.

Sunday: Re-laid the track and pinned it. Ballasted the track (took 3 bags) and created the chicken wire mesh for tunnel.

Tonight: Need to finalise the ballasting, start paper mache' on the tunnel and clean the surface of all the track.

Rest of week: Hoping to get the track finished. Then need to start looking in to finding some suitable Catenary masts, and installing signals & wiring. Undecided on point motors as yet but will use Hornby surface ones (if they ever appear (new design ones)). Installing station platform (bought of a user on here, so if it arrives this week will get that done).

Will post pictures of the ballasting tonight.

Rob
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Bit further on, ballasting done.

Future station area - once platform arrives.

Dirty big junction "Baynham Junction" left line is in the platform B side of the station (short platform local services) ,2 pass throughs and right goes off to a siding. Further to the left is the other line in the station platform A which is long enough for a 4 car set (pendolino will sit here most the time as no other use for it).

Cleaned the track, testing for any dead spots.

More locomotives arrive tomorrow. Then need to track on with some scenery.
blackpool_fy2

Post by blackpool_fy2 »

Well done with the ballasting. :D
Thomas
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

FIrst structure built,

Created a 90's concrete structure in corner that trains exiting stations run through, also help as somewhere to put controller on top of it.

Another loco on the track also, still not platform thou!

Think passengers on the pendo might be starving by now.

Waiting to exit the junction

Baynham Junction, tracks cleaned now.

Still waiting to leave

Where's my platform!

Platform is at local Royal Mail depot, must go get it tomorrow!

Going back to my home town tomorrow night so no progress will be made this weekend :(
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Station complete, ordered 2x new Hornby 153's in Central Trains livery from Hattons due before end of this week. Girlfriend has kindly weathered some locomotives.

Added scenery to a corner, lots of progress made. Will take pics later this week once the new loco's arrive.
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

Great ballasting, its about a million times better than mine!
Love the virgin in the dark at the buffers
Keep up the good work :wink:
Regards, Jed
[qifop]

Re: First Layout (for a while) -New pics

Post by [qifop] »

New pics,

2x new Hornby Class 153's (in Central Trains) arrive tomorrow from Hattons so will be able to put some of those up. So far...

Pub & Freight Branch Line

Another angle

Station

Layout still constructing.....

Im quite pleased with progress for under a month, the cables popping through the board you can see are for signals.

Feedback please...
Matt Peters

Post by Matt Peters »

Great progress, thats come a hell of a long way in a month, keep it up! 8)