New Railway Modellers Shop

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Bufferstop

Re: New Railway Modellers Shop

Post by Bufferstop »

Perhaps the small link should have a "mouse-over" event which displayed Visit NRM Shop. I would have expected the main logo's link to be to the NRM home page rather than the board index as it currently does. It's a sort of web design protocol, makes it easy to explore the site if you arrive by a link to one of the subsections.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

Yes I agree, - I seem to remember the old style NRM home page had a more prominant link to their online shop if I'm not mistaken?

Under the current design, newcomers to the forum may be un-aware that NRM has an online shop, a pity as they give an excellent service with quite a wide range of items; models, materials & usefull tools for modelling & the prices are very reasonable & often cheaper than I've seen on ebay & elsewhere.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I have to say while i knew of the shop i did know how to get to it from the forum so never really remember to look at it - my suggestion would be to ditch the adverts in the header and replace them with products from the shop - that way you can get to the shop easily by clicking on the advert (even if the product displayed is not of interest) but it would also 'tempt' people in to spend money :lol:
SirMeliot

Post by SirMeliot »

Bufferstop wrote:I would have expected the main logo's link to be to the NRM home page rather than the board index as it currently does. It's a sort of web design protocol, makes it easy to explore the site if you arrive by a link to one of the subsections.
That's exactly what it did do until the other day...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

SirMeliot wrote:That's exactly what it did do until the other day...
It's also what it still does if you go to one of the sections of the shop and click on it! but I refuse to look any deeper into yards of nested HTML. It's odds on it will change back again at some point in the future :?
Steve Hill

Post by Steve Hill »

It is perhaps too easy to forget about the shop (I plead guilty). My bookmark is to the Board Index page. I don't see why there should not be a big button somewhere at the top of the page saying "visit our shop!". Or maybe dynamically highlighting special offers or whatever.
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

I just made use of the shop for the first time in ages. Both the Hornby superdetailed LMS-liveried Stanier coaches and the olive-green Maunsell coaches have been like rocking-horse manure recently, but what did I find on here? And, even more impressively, what did I find still at their original price?

And I can vouch for the incredible rapidity of the service.

I am extremely happy. I'm off to browse some more....

Gavin
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Why, Oh Why, Don't we use the NRM Shop More ?

O.K I'm as guilty as everyone else, check out Hattons, look around one or two more
firstly to see if what I want is in stock & check out prices ..........
I couldn't find the full set of 3 Jarvis static greass scatters in stock, my local store
says they have ordered, but they don't deliver (I don't know from where).
Getting desperate I checked out NRM ......... All 3 in stock at the same price as
Hattons (who only has 2) and carrige was less.
From what I've read here the service will be good ....... We use Simon's website
WHY don't we support the shop better ??????????????

Geoff T.
midland_red

Post by midland_red »

I've ordered from the NM Shop on at least half a dozen occasions and the service I have received has been first class.

I get the news letter and always check them out first when I am looking for something.

Another order will be winging their way in the next couple of days too.

Having the forum linked to the shop is a great bonus for me too. I have got a lot of ideas and inspiration off here that I was able to follow up with items from the shop.

Trevor.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Dad-1 wrote:Why, Oh Why, Don't we use the NRM Shop More ?
It's not exactlt well advertised on the forum though is it? Maybe instead of or in addition to the adverts we get we could get some adverts from the NRM shop so that people will remember it exists.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Does anyone know if it would upset any advertising contracts that Simon has if the index page was entered via a latest shop news splash before the first loading of a session?
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I've just had my first purchase as well - the higher detailed P2 model. I ordered it on Friday and it arrived this morning. Excellent delivery considering the Sunday as well. It was also at an extremely reasonable price - considering my Hattons order was cancelled... jolly good stuff!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

It's got to have more adverts on the forum - they should run an experiment take one months ad revenue and another month without the adverts but showing products from the shop and compare the two - that way you would be able to tell if it's worthwhile or not

I will honestly admit to not remembering there is a shop attached to the forum - I stumble on ot a few time a year from google searches or links etc but never use it as a go to source

Another method would be to have a post with this months offers on or even a 'this just in' posting new items that enter the shop, chances are it would not interest everyone but would serve as a reminder the shops there!

Anyway I am off to have a nose at the shop while I remember :lol:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

There's an obvious solution we are all missing. The shop has a newsletter. Let Simon send it out to members automatically, perhaps for up tp 3 months after they last posted.
David68

Post by David68 »

I have used the shop a few times and will use it again I am sure.