47806's New Layout: The IC&L

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.

Post by 47806 »

Hello all

Having moved to the UK, I was forced to leave all of my model railway stuff in Canada (at least for now). I am now thinking about what I could build here on a budget and in a small space. So far, these are my ideas:

1) A rural station in Canada (double-track mainline with two sidings) about 4' x 2'. I am not so keen on this option because it would mean buying all new stock and I am trying to leave North America behind too.

2) Something interesting from the UK. 18 inches by 3' perhaps that would fit into the privatised era, preferably diesel. Any ideas?

3) I might revert to the classic fuelling point scene. Again 18 inches by 3'.

4) Nothing, I simply enjoy the full-size railways!

My old layout thread will give you an idea of what stock I already have: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... .php?t=792

Comments or suggestions please.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

Re: 47806 Plans a New Layout

Post by 47806 »

As so often happens, I had a surge of ideas about what I could do for a small layout. I have come up with a plan: the layout will be 1x3 feet (small and portable) and won't even be wired at the beginning. The basic plan can vary between North American and British stock with a few changes to the scenics.

I have a question first about points, I have been playing around with some templates, but I cannot be sure if this will work:

I am planning to use the Peco SLE91 and SLE92 (left and right hand small electrofrog points). If I attach the SLE91 to the SLE92 (as shown in the image), will the two routes be parallel?

Thanks for helping, I hope to post a final plan soon.
Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

47806 wrote:I am planning to use the Peco SLE91 and SLE92 (left and right hand small electrofrog points). If I attach the SLE91 to the SLE92 (as shown in the image), will the two routes be parallel?
XTrkCad says that they will be parallel like you've drawn them :) (although the angle of the connecting piece will be much shallower than your sketch). I haven't tried it 'in the metal' myself, but I can't imagine you'd have any problem.

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

Post by 47806 »

Thanks, I know that my sketch was inaccurate but I had hoped that the points would be parallel.

Post by 47806 »

I have now begun to build my new layout. I went to buy the wood and found it to be on sale (always good to get a bargain). I then attempted to build the baseboard without sufficient tools (the problem with a rented house). The outcome was not good: the lovely board had a corner split off (never try to screw into wood without first drilling). Thankfully it has been glued back and no permanent damage has been done. I am hoping to continue a little more cautiously and I am hoping to finish the baseboard before the end of the week.

I am now working on the final plan, name etc.
Raider

Post by Raider »

Moved over to 'Under Construction'

Post by 47806 »

Raider wrote:Moved over to 'Under Construction'
Thank you!

Post by 47806 »

I will now officially launch my new model railway: the Irwin, Cabot and Lavoisier Railway. It will be based on a fictional short line somewhere in Ontario or Quebec with very little traffic (this way I can run it with very little stock). It is quite small, about 85x40cm and it is really only to keep my skills sharp. I have designed a logo and I am working on the plan.

After yesterday's fiasco with the baseboard, I have found a working drill in the house :D and I have spent a bit of money on a few drill bits. Sometimes trying to make a layout on the cheap will not produce the result that you want. How could I forget the golden rule after 10+ years of railway modelling: it is always more expensive than you think!
trains!

Re: 47806's New Layout: The IC&L

Post by trains! »

Just remembered you could do something like this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3769
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Post by 47806 »

trains! wrote:Just remembered you could do something like this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3769
An interesting idea! My track plan is not too different from that but a bit bigger. However I have already finished the baseboard, it took two days and anyone with any experience with woodwork would think that my work was rather pathetic. It is level and the top is flat so I expect that it will work.

This is the underside of the completed baseboard:

This is the logo for the railway:
Last edited by 47806 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
trains!

Post by trains! »

You could do it as your next project? how long are you at 'mint' britan? becasue little projects dont take long i started a boxfile few days ago and mine is almost full balasted, wired hilled scenerized :D .
Jake
See here for my plan:

Post by 47806 »

I am in the UK, as far as I know, permanently. I haven't the time or the room at the moment to build lots of projects. I am hoping to superdetail this smallish project and then admire it. Once I have drawn the plan onto the baseboard, I will take a break for a while.
trains!

Post by trains! »

Sounds good, also means i'm looking forward to your super detailed work. If i was in your case I'd build a few small shelves and display stock. Also extend your collection of stock for when you go back. :D
Jake
See here for my plan:

Post by 47806 »

trains! wrote:super detailed
I'm not sure how super detailed it will be, but I give it my best shot.
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Post by Eastern »

Good luck with your layout - are there any model railway shops in Cambridge now? Heard many had closed?
I used to use R&D Models, Laurie & McConnal's in Fitzroy St, and a great store in the Kite (Ren Models? - where the Grafton Centre is now :cry:
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]