Two Short Planks

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Two Short Planks

Post by Dad-1 »

What do you call your lay-out? Me? it's 'Two Short Planks' for two reasons, one I know nothing about railways and never made up a lay-out before, the second was because it was going to be on two short planks. Plans soon fell apart, brcause the local B&Q only had 6 foot shelves available rather than the original 5 foot I'd been thinking of using. So it's a minimal scenic job initially with a planned terminus station containing three platforms, sidings going into an oil depot, plus other sidings to hold whatever I feel like.
No specific region and intended initially to be BR blue period. The station to be 'North Quay' into which will run 1, 2 & 3 car DMU's although currently I only have a 2 car Bachmann 108.
Operation to be DCC and plank A has been tested today, with only one siding to add to this board later. Plank B will be more difficult as there are several turnouts a single and double slip to allow suitable marshalling movements.

Nov 2017 - I think these two are lost ..... PlankA2.jpg

Plank A under DCC testing - all three Loco's seen here running at once !

Plank2A.jpg

Checking the location of turnouts for Plank B, also making certain that tracks over the joint will align correctly.

Geoff T
frolly

Re: Two Short Planks

Post by frolly »

If the two boards are fixed together first, then run the track over the joint making certain that turn outs & tracks align correctly, fix the track to the boards.
At this point cut the track at the board joint with a fine dremell or blade, this will keep the ends of the tracks just wher you want them.

I have never tried this as yet but my layout will be in sections and i'm thinking thats the best way,

Graham
Frolly from Derby
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Hi
I have a join between sections and i butted the track up to the join, not as in frolly's description [although equally workable]
I use screws to fix my track in place until I have ballasted so there is potential to adjust the ends slightly to align perfectly
Look! 4 tracks over join.. you can see the screw heads either side of the join nearest the camera.

Nov 2017 - Not my picture, unable to recover - THANKS PB !!

Michael
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Frolly and Mumbles,
I'm not too worried about the joint alignment, but need to take care as smooth running is more important at this point than and scenery, balasting, or dare I say it 'design'. I just want to have as much operating track as I can on a 12 foot by 1 foot strip. I have yet to make the three trestles I plan to stand it on - just like a big kid I want it running as soon as possible.
You seem to have a great space there mumbles, lucky guy. I know I should have been more artistic in the line lay-out, but hell railways are linear and I want to move things around, it's for operational use not artistic appreciation. I'm still working out how I can have 6 or 7 live movements - trying to remember and change loco address fast enough can be quite a mental challange !! So far I've managed 4 without a crash ........ wait until tomorrow !!

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

All proceeding well, every section of straight track wired in, but no wiring soldered to turnouts. The view under the Station End board.

After filing down the turnouts and crossovers the track went down O.K. This complex series of changes will need to be remembered - hope the signal man's awake !!

Now looking towards what will be the tunnel from the terminus station end - could do with another 3 feet at the tunnel end to provide a sort of fiddle yard, well at least let a 3 coach train go out of sight. The left track is to out line, the inwards line offering turnouts to take traffic into the goods and marshalling area.

Soon have to think about scenery, not that I'll have much, this is for running trains first and foremost.

Geoff T.
lawrs1

Post by lawrs1 »

That layout looks like it is coming on a treat
Life is full of should-haves
frolly

Post by frolly »

Looking good!
Frolly from Derby
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Still no platforms, station building, ballast, or anything to make it look good. But today the grandchildren had a busy day running trains and this is worth all the effort so far, and the DCC is just great for marshalling wagons using two shunters. This is just the 'busy' end.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Well I've been rather busy and not working on my layout for a while. On Saturday I bought 3 yard lights and added them to a side attachment to Two Short Planks. I call it 'A bit on the side' which is exactly what it is, although seen here by itself while being worked on. The bund walls will have small oil product tanks inside and the foreground will have a 12" bulk tank again behind protective walling with a small wet (pond) hollow between the raised track, 12" tank and main lines that run along the right hand side.
I now have to start the serious scenery construction, an artistic thing that I've never done before.

Geoff T
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Oh dear another 2 weeks gone by and little extra to show
I've added some grass between the two lines and covered the left side with 50/50 Thistle Plaster and Saw Dust. Now I have to find how to get a decent grass on the verge and hillock by the oil tanks (which need a lot more work).
Then to the shallow pond on the other side with an abandoned wheel set sunk in the mud, some rail, damaged oil drum and old fire bucket.
Currently the main track is being painted rust and will soon have the top mounted Peco turnout motors fixed - then a mamoth ballasting job. Hopefully ready for my Christmas presents of a Metcalfe station and a signal box.

Geoff T.
Matt Peters

Post by Matt Peters »

The extension piece is looking good!
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

I must admit that extension piece is really good, when are you thinking of doing the ballasting.
I think it will add so much!
Regards, Jed
Class 66

Post by Class 66 »

lmsrail wrote:I must admit that extension piece is really good, when are you thinking of doing the ballasting.
I think it will add so much!
It's already been done has it not, the grey stuff around the track :)

Some great work going on here!
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Yep, but not the main part of the layout. The addition reminds me of a small dockland railway, especially with the 06's ss.I like the oil tanks and such shunters, reminds me of 60's Scotland, Dad, will this be a shunting layout....where will you go from here? great work so far by the way.
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

I meant when is the main thing going to be ballasted
Regards, Jed