Roath/Y Rhath (Cardiff, 1971, P4)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
pixie1988

Roath/Y Rhath (Cardiff, 1971, P4)

Post by pixie1988 »

Hello everyone,

I found this forum while looking for something else, so I thought I'd stop by and share my latest project.

Roath Goods is my long term P4 layout that is based in the Roath/Cathays suburbs of Cardiff, depicting a relatively small yard which acts as an interchange between the Welsh Capital and the Valleys. The progress you see here is the result of 4 months work and around 3 years planning. Set in summer of '71, there will be a good selection of blue and two-tone green on show as well as a good amount of grime. The yard itself sees a lot of general merchandise traffic, as well as coal and steel traffic that South Wales is so famous for. The rail-served warehouse to the left of the plan is hoped to be a focal point for the layout. All rolling stock will be fully prototypical for the area and era, so along side the older vacuum braked stock, the first signs of the air-braked fleet will be apparent. It's hoped that Roath should be 'finished' around Winter 2010. This photos form a bit of a timeline, but I hope they're of interest.

Above - The original rough sketch for Roath, which featured a representation of the line upto Radyr. Since this was drawn the idea of the running line has been abolished as it just didn't look right when mocked up. Beside, it should of been double track to represent the 'Valley line' properly

Above - The trackplan and point templates drawn out in Templot. Having had a proper sit down with Templot, I can't rate it enough. There's no way I'd be able to do the flowing curves without it!

Above - This left hand C10 point, built from the excellent Exactoscale components, forms one half of the crossover at the right hand end of the plan. It all went together very easily, but it's still a bit testing threading all the chairs onto the rail. In the photo I've placed a standard Peco medium radius point next to it for comparison, please excuse the mess that is my workbench...

Above - A photo from the first play session. Looking from the left hand end of the layout should give some idea of the overall view, the rear siding in this view will serve the warehouse on the original plan.

Above: The layout seen from the other end at the same time.

Above: The first of the terraced house front fresh out the mould. With the prospect of having to build 40-odd of them, the decision was made to spend the time to get one just right then cast them. They're based upon the 'prototype' in Flora Street which is roughly where Roath would be if it were real. I haven't got my photos to hand, but here's an image of one of the houses in neighbouring Minny Street http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/240 ... 3c.jpg?v=0, which are very similar although every other house is a mirror image of the one next to it. The resin mouldings the very basic shell of the building, all the details and slight variances are still to be added. I might also cast another of the same house to get a bit of variety in the stone work.

Above: A more recent view of the right hand end of the layout. Most of the recent work has concentrated on this end to date. Next tasks are to build finish the abutments and then apply the 'Brains' lettering. The odd block of 2 houses is just a place holder until I get round to building the laundrette that will take its place. It's hoped that as the trackbed is at eye-level, any rolling stock will be glimpsed between the various chimneys and TV aerials. It's also hoped that because of the height, just the tips of the houses behind the yard will be viewable - just like the real thing.

Above: A close-up of the terraced houses seen above. The house in the centre has had the front modelled open and I'm slowing building the hall interior. I'm quite looking forward to getting some really dated looking curtains inside all the houses. The fronts are just posed at present - the horrible join lines won't be there when I'm finished!

Above: A view from the end of the street. The shop has progressed a little since I last showed it, the staircase can just about be seen inside. It will become a newsagent eventually, featuring all the suitable magazines from the era. The end of the row is just temporary - I've got a little something planned for the finished article.

Above: The most recent view I have. Over the last few days I've been playing around with some new slimline tubes lights for Roath. Initially the light was way too bright and also far too 'sharp', so any illusion of natural daylight was utterly destroyed. However, I spent yesterday playing around with colouring the diffuser and, using a mixture of white and beige, I think I'm starting to get a better result. The lights much softer and more radiant but still in need of more experimentation I feel. A quick snap anyway, just a rough one from a small compact digi-cam as my proper one is packed away. It all looks a bit odd as it's still mostly bare plaster or resin, but I hope it gives an idea.

I'm forever after more information on the Cardiff area in the early 70s to aid the project, so if anyone can help, I'd love to hear from you. Sites such as Brian Tucker's dearly missed one were a gold mine - luckily I managed to get in touch with Brian (purely by a fluke meeting in a model shop!) to obtain a CD of his photographs.

Pixie
Direct Rail Services

Re: Roath/Y Rhath (Cardiff, 1971, P4)

Post by Direct Rail Services »

Oh my God !!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is STUNNING !!!!!!

Im from that part of the world, and this is a jem of a model in the making!!!

I can just picture the finished thing.

Total blown away with this, with some 'ground level' B&W pictures when its finished you could fool people that its a real place!

Great work mate.

DRS.
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009
sheep21

Post by sheep21 »

fantastic work.

The houses look brilliant, typical Cardiff terraces. Im really looking forward to seeing this take shape, what with coming from the city.Any chance of doing Paper Mill site at a later date :p
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

Hi, cant wait to see this layout develop, keep up the good work :wink:
Regards, Jed
pixie1988

Post by pixie1988 »

Thanks for the comments folks - work is very stop/start, but I'll keep you updated.

Pix
pixie1988

Post by pixie1988 »

Evening chaps

Long time - no post! I thought post a bit of an update as a lot of progress was made over Easter, although it's come to a grinding halt now I'm back at univeristy. I've also discovered 2mm Finescale which is a horrible distraction....

Anyway - Roath.

I'll let the photos do most of the talking but main areas of change are the road surfaces going in, more green bits and various structures starting to go in (The brick built house was a mere place-holder until I pulled my finger out and started on the 'proper' on). Perhaps the signature Cardiff piece, the Brains bridge, is also new. Here it was a mock up while I chose the correct typeface, I think it certainly adds a new element. I've made mine an adaptation on the Clare Road bridge (see prototype snap below) as it was seen in the mid-60s.

And here it is a week after! Transfer are home-made waterslides, which worked pretty well but I think my paper is getting a little old now (I bought it from Cove Models and I was still building Waltham, so it must be about 5 years old). These have now been fitted and weathered in (although it still needs rust marks) with the usual shrubery fitted to blend them in. I've also cast the abutments to help complete the scene. I've also made a start on the house/laundrette, which replaces the previous place-keeper.

I must finish off my Falcon sometime - I ordered some replacement plates for it, however I think I ordered the wrong size...

There's also been a bit of progress on the housing front with the first set of castings for the backscene being assembled, and is now awaiting a little filler here and there. This is going to be a looong process as there is a LOT of them to do - around the 30 odd mark. Then there's painting them....

There was a brief time-warp too....

And finally - some inspiration. I've spent the afternoon dribbling at this photo - http://www.c37lg.co.uk/images/rm37215.htm. Dirty loco with a little contrasting cleanliness on the ends with a long string of wagons in a very 'meh' settings. Nothing special, just simple everyday porridge. Perfect.

Comments/suggestions/death threats are all welcomed!

Boomshanka,

PIx
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

LOL! No death threats here :lol: ..infact i would lobby for longevityt mate! ...i am very impressed with that, i particularly like the brdge with brains on it lol. it's developing very well, all the best with it and keep us updated. :wink:
sheep21

Post by sheep21 »

reminds of canton really alot now.

Mmmmm I want a pint of Brains Best Bitter! Curse London pubs! :lol:

seriously though, all looking grand, I take it we will see you this time 2010 ? :p
Lewis Nash

Post by Lewis Nash »

is the falcon nameplate one of the real ones that once was attached to the real life locomotive? :)
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]
pixie1988

Post by pixie1988 »

Thanks for all the comments chaps, It's a real kick up the back side to keep going with the project. I've got an October 2010 deadline to work to so I should get myself in gear...
Lewis Nash wrote:is the falcon nameplate one of the real ones that once was attached to the real life locomotive? :)
I wish! If it were it'd be on it's way to auction and plans for a 7mm version of Roath would be floating about. It's a casting taken from the real one that's inside the NRM, which were used on the NMT hybrid power car 'Hayabusa'. The other real one I believe holds the record for most expensive diesel nameplate to be sold at auction, bringing home around £27k!

Boomshanka,

Pix
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Absolutely 'kin stunning mate :) I really, really like the way this little beut is developing. Good to see an old-timer interloper too ;)

Cheers fella, always a pleasure to see this layout

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)