an exhibition layout by blaqkaudio009

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Blaqkaudio009

an exhibition layout by blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

well this is the second part of my home layout 'Rheilffordd Cilcewydd'. this is the top of the line, which is the slate quarries. the layout itself is freelance and ill include pretty much all of the engines seen lower down the line. my first kit - Rodney Stennings 'Sir Haydn' will be making a come back in the form of a corris engine instead of Talyllyn. the layout is just under 4 by 2 foot and consists of six motored points, four working wagon turntables and a working (hopefully!) gravity powered incline. stock will consist of slate wagons, incline wagons, a couple of v tippers(in a siding full of scrap'n'crap) and a quarrymans coach for transporting the worker too and from the quarrys.

so far i have laid about 90% of the track, and built the slate splitters works. so im getting there! heres a couple of photos taken on my phone cuz i cant find the camera lead.
this was scanned, it is the first plans i drew up of the layout a couple of weeks ago. it has changed in a few places but it will give you the general idea.
this is the whole layout,
this is the slate splitters works. looks better in real life than on phone camera
hope you look forward to watching it progress over the next few weeks
olliereading1123

Re: an exhibition layout by blaqkaudio009

Post by olliereading1123 »

the thread emerges.

good looking start with good hope, remember about the passenger excursion services!!!
Bespoke layout construction and design, http://thefiddleyard.webs.com/
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

2 interesting starts in one night. good stuff. I always like your stuff and it gets better and better each time
Good luck
Michael
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

yes and there will be passenger special services to the quarry once in a while the coach being pulled will have signs above the windows etc. but thats one of the final stages.
thankyou michael thats a real confidence booster.
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Blaqkaudio009 wrote: thankyou michael thats a real confidence booster.
you should be pleased with what you do, some nicely observed detail and you are actually modelling something you like and obviously looking to improve each and every time, unlike some cyber-modellers we could mention!
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

thankyou again! i think the reason is that i aim to get as close to reality as possible, but layouts these days tend to get insperation from other models and tend to forget the prototype, im not that fussed but its a shame because it restrics peoples abilities when not modelling real life. but yeah im going over to the ffestiniog hopefully saterday for photos etc. at the moment im building the office the same way i built the slate splitting works.
live-frog

Post by live-frog »

Love the stone buildings , I can just see you sitting there chipping each one to shape individually !!
mumbles wrote: unlike some cyber-modellers we could mention!
Is that akin to chequebook modelling as in Racy Breem (anag) or have I for the 5th time this evening , lost the plot ?
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

cheers, suprisingly thats not actually how i made them, the way i did didnt take that much time atall, but im glad it looks like it took forever!
and yes, we are all loosing the plot here, its natural..
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

i've lost it.. what ever it was.. PM me the answer Ron!!
HenryBlue

Post by HenryBlue »

lol, yeah... wtf :P brill layout as usual mate, I love the slate cutters building. brill. and the track plan is quite cool
[center]Image[/center]
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

cheers bud, but as i said it has changed a bit, i did mention to ollie the reason why all points are Y-points but the reason for this was because the left and right handed points are perfictly straight and looks very unrealistic for alot of places, like this is a quarry and it is rare to have straight track alot. you will notice (apart from the inline) there is virtually no straight track atall on the scenic side. i have done a bit more on prince tonight, he is sitting low on the chassis and is nearly finished being painted. i left it for a while whilst doing the scenic side for the home layout. photos of that soon
Blaqkaudio009

Post by Blaqkaudio009 »

tonight dad and i have been fitting the point motors, only had about 20 mintues to spare so we fitted 2 out of the 6, those two would take the longest as the other 4 have extended arms so the drilling would only be quick. we will finish the other 4 tomorrow night. prince has now had the black painted on. i have had him running with a tipper train around the layout for about half an hour as a test with no derailments or stalls. pretty good. the only place during the shunting test he derailed on was his tender reversing over points.
HenryBlue

Post by HenryBlue »

thats the sorta hing that makes me crazy, something you want badly, you get it and it freakin derails :P

btw Ive solved the flaw with your Tom Rolt, well the slant, its because the boiler it too low at the front, bomthing is supposed to be between the bufferbeam and boiler support. well I could be wrong, try it out.

look: Ive resized this to scale... Thanks me or else :P :

your poop up : http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd42 ... 00x600.jpg
[center]Image[/center]
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

One of those sidings look to tight for a train to go around without de railing
Regards, Jed
zarniwhoop

Post by zarniwhoop »

lmsrail wrote:One of those sidings look to tight for a train to go around without de railing
The one in the top middle ? Nah, that looks very common for British narrow gauge layouts - as long as you're only using short 4-wheel stock, and short locos, it should be fine at low speeds and it's actually a similar diameter to the main loop. Oh, perhaps you mean the siding at the bottom left (looks like a tight reverse curve after the 'Y' point) ?

For Prince's tender, check the wheels are in gauge, check the tender can pivot sufficiently from the loco, and then think about adding more weight to the tender. I suppose it's also possible that one of the tippers might not be running freely, and the tender turns out to be the fall-guy between the irresistible force of the loco and the immovable object. Or, maybe you just need a speed limit !

Looking promising so far - I particularly like the doors on the slate works. I'm impressed you can do anything useful in 4' by 2' - that's the real benefit of using short stock.

ĸen