Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Direct Rail Services

Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post by Direct Rail Services »

I am very pleased to introduce you to my final design of my all new model railway Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal.

The model is a replica of the actual location, with a few modellers license ideas. But in the main you will be able to see Dungness in OO in a few months time.

The layout is 21ft long and 2ft wide spear out over two walls of my garge.

DCC operation throughout, with live peco streamline pointwork and flexi track.

From the stop block at Dungness which will be within a fenced secure compound you run onto the run round loop, which has a short cripple siding at the north end. After leaving the terminal the train progresses up the winding branch to the 1st of the 2 modelled level crossing. The 1st being a user worked farm crossing and the 2nd being a full AHB crossing for heavy loads, this crossing also has a overbrigde for normal road traffic, this bridge also severs as the senic break to the two road storage area.

The thinking behind this project is, its small and compact. Has one core traffic (Nuclear Flask traffic), but has the option for a decent allocation of locomotives.

The locomotives of which there will be no more thab 4 or 5 in total, which will allow them to be sound fitted in time, along with some weathering and super detailing when my 'skill' allows.

The small size of the model will allow cameo's to be modelled, i was thinking a Greenpeace protest :D .

My progress to date is:

Full track and point procurment completed, along with all point motors and underlays.
Baseboards minus underframe completed.
Transfer Terminal overhead crane brought.
Bachmann DRS Class 37/5's order and due late Sept/Oct. (The reason for the model).
Advice being sough on FNA-H kits.

Ratio Overhead Transfer Crane Kit.

FNA-H Nuclear Flask Vehicle Kit.

Rail Express/Bachmann Class 37/5 (37510) & (37688) Direct Rail Services Colours.

Hopefully within a month or two i should have some major progress to show.

DRS
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009
mumbles

Re: Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post by mumbles »

Local to me... check

Interesting to me... check

Original.... check

Decent track work... check

Based on reality.... check

Good stuff all round, looking forward to seeing how it goes. even the mention of the level crossing and bridge next to it has me excited, that's at Lydd IIRC? i'm now off to look at maps, websites and all sorts to refresh me of the area.
Regards
Michael
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Interesting concept.... will be watching this one progress :)
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
sheep21

Post by sheep21 »

looking forward to this one

cant wait to see it take shape.
Direct Rail Services

The LC and overbrigde is indeed Lydd :D :D

A image instantly reminds me of the Dungness branch in my mind :D .

Thanks for the words.

I wanted something orginal, simple/basic track layout as its my first model and something that the trains moved slowly so that i could realisticly use the different sounds on the DCC.

However is it proving differcult to source pictures of the terminal and loop...any ideas?
I was thinking about taking a trip down there myself but its a cross london drive plus about 2hrs either side of to!

I even have an eye on future display at shows but i may be getting a little ahead of myself there!.

Cheers.

DRS.
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Msn live earth has a clearer version than google maps for an aerial shot
Its a fair trek out of the way from me but if i ever head out that way i will try to get a camera on it for you

remember, if you do journey down you can go on the romney, hythe and dymchurch railway from dungeness to hythe. including the railway museum and large H0 model layout at new romney. and that bridge at lydd is well worth a visit :D

Michael
Direct Rail Services

Does anyone know the type of contruction at the overbridge at Lydd ? Is it a modern concrete bridge or older stone and brick?

I tired to search fotopic for pictures of Dungness branch and terminal but i only found pictures of trains coming from the location not at the location.

I looking for pictures or information on the compound and loop, such as are there floodlight in the compound, and loop, cctv and staff quarters.

Also are the points down there worked by a central ground frame or hand operated at the point.

Also...... :D

The method of operation when a train arrives and departs the terminal....such as how to the engines run round, do they enter the compound to do this or is it done outside the gate on the loop. This will allow me to work out how much track to have between the gate and south end switch on the loop.

EDIT:

My thanks to Mr Mumbles for the link, the sat image shows the switch is in the compound and the head shunt leads right up to the boundary fence, with a small crew/staff cabin to the north end.

I might model the main road to the south end, this will allow to me model my car parked up with me taking pictures!!!! :D :D

EDIT 2:

Anyone know what the cabin at the north end of the loop is for....im guessing a secure ground frame location?

Thanks in advance....

DRS.
Direct Rail Services

I've taken some pictures of Dungness (OO) so to where everything will go.

And suggestions or just pure negitive comments are most welecome :D :D :wink: :lol:

Looking north a view of the compound with the main road towards the bottom of the picture.

South end switch.

North end switch and cripple siding.

The Dungness end of the branch which has seen some recent investment in welded rails and concrete sleepers. The paper is the senic break aka Lydd.

The twin road storage area.

Overview of the Dungness area.

Overview of the Lydd area.

Driver eye view towards the compound.

Complete view of my railway room.

DRS.

Post by 4472 »

Will you be adding the RH&DR loop with the little cafe that does super fish & chips :wink: :wink:
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
Direct Rail Services

Can you see it from Dungeness?
:D

DRS.
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

Oooh, breaking the mould here, I like :D

By the way, before anyone goes poking around the nuclear facilities with a camera- find someone to ask. Certainly around Sellafield, I gather people have been arrested!
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

:-) Im liking this thread... as PT said a little different to the norm :-)

Any chance you could add some pics of the actual location to the thread please?
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Direct Rail Services

Thats the problem mate, i cant find any! :cry:

Ive tried all the different rail forums and fotopic to no avil.

Ive found one good pic from the over bridge at Lydd of a Network Rail 73 and train, that will come in handy for that area, but i cant find any of the actual terminal.

I really need some of the crane, as im going to have a crack my kit next weekend.

Thanks for comments, i hope to really make a decent layout something different, hopefully that will make up for the lack of action.

DRS.
beerandpies

Post by beerandpies »

I've had a behind the scenes tour of Sellafield... It was... Kind of cool, but scary.

Intertwined with tracks in places as I recall though it was a while back.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
Direct Rail Services

I find nuclear power so amazing but like you very scary!

That is why i want to model something like this.

It shows part of the story behind what powers my computer and my trains on Dungeness :D

DRS.