New layout from a beginer

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
malyon

New layout from a beginer

Post by malyon »

Hi there im 21 and my girlfriend who is building the set with me is 20 and we decided to build a N gauge layout in our bed room.

Its 8' x 2' iv built the base board with a chip board but i will be addin some insulation board for the layout.

Iv designed the layout and drawn it onto the board with all the sections of track measured and marked out and labbled so i know what peco set track sections i need to buy.

the end section i going to be raised so so that the 2 main lines will run under a tunell and the top points and section will be a mine.

Im just dreding wirirng and seting up for the first time as im new to tis and i have a lot of points and want two trains running a once on the main lines.

What do you think?

beerandpies

Re: New layout from a beginer

Post by beerandpies »

Marking the track down in pen.... I had a total 'Doh, why didn't I think of that!' moment there.

Great start!
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
Dale_the_noob

Post by Dale_the_noob »

beerandpies wrote:Marking the track down in pen.... I had a total 'Doh, why didn't I think of that!' moment there.

Great start!
I'm going to draw mine out on the back of a roll of wall paper.
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

malyon wrote:Hi there im 21 and my girlfriend who is building the set with me is 20 and we decided to build a N gauge layout in our bed room.
You're both in your 20's and the best thing you can think of to do in the bedroom is 'build a layout' ???? Perleeeease :lol: :lol:

Seriously, good start there, I did exactly the same drawing out my entire layout before committing to anything :wink:

Paul
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Great start looking forward to seeing the progress you make!
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
santene

Post by santene »

that looks like a nice complex track plan are you going dcc or dc? and if you use flexi track itll work out cheaper than set track.
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy
Stumpy

Post by Stumpy »

Looks like there's going to be plenty of interest on that layout! Smashing! :wink: .
"A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat! Know what i mean!? Eh? Eh?"
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Probably the best laid out track plan I ever saw!

Good luck with this, the only advice I can give you is if you are not sure about anything then just ask on here, the guys are brilliant on these forums and will be able to help you with anything you need.

Just enjoy it and have fun....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
malyon

Post by malyon »

thanks for the comments guys.

Powere wise whats the difference with dc and dcc

I also want to run 2 trains at a time and i only want basic easy to use controllers. What would you recomend?? :?
santene

Post by santene »

The difference in dcc and dc is, dcc you control the train and in dc you control the track. On your layout it will be cheaper to go dcc because you'll only need one controller, for you to go dc on that layout you will need quite a few controllers, which will build up in price. Also in dcc the track is always live, and the trains all have decoders. When a train has a decoder its like a built in switch for you to control. When you put in the trains number on the controller, you are basiclly putting the trains switch on, which lets the power flow through it which sets it off moving.
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy
sishades

Post by sishades »

Hi there im 21 and my girlfriend who is building the set with me is 20 and we decided to build a N gauge layout in our bed room.
Gives a whole new meaning to "double header"! :D :D :D :D
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

"Can I park my engine in your loco shed love?" :lol: :lol:

Paul
Dale_the_noob

Post by Dale_the_noob »

difference between DC and DCC

DC - you control the track voltage, so only 1 locomotive can move on one section of track, you can isolate tracks so that other locos can't move. You can also have multiple sections, on your layout I would have 3 or 4 sections (2 loops, front sidings and mine). You can control these sections with 1, 2, 3 or 4 controllers, using knobs to choose which controller controls what. (A controller can control multiple sections)

DCC - you control each locomotive from 1 controller. Each loco has a number, so you push the number, 'drive' the train, leave it running, type in another number and 'drive' that train, type the first number in again and 'drive' that train.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

that track plan is amazing. I mean the way you drew it on the board. It's actually a big hard to grasp the plan itself laid out like that :^)
Use flex. You'll love it.
Regards
Rob
malyon

Post by malyon »

after admiring some of the layouts on this site. I decided to change the layout as the first design didnt flow that well.
so i bought some sections of track to help visualise the new desghne.

Its hard to see in the photos so i apoligies.

Also the order has been placed for all the track a gauge maste 2 track dc controler 2 traines and all odds and sods to get up and running.

iv decied to stay with set track as im a beginer at this so i want to keep it as simple to lay as possible.