Scourcing G scale ballast?

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
clipper

Scourcing G scale ballast?

Post by clipper »

I run an indoor Gauge 3 layout which at 13.5mm to a foot is about the same as G scale, but I am having difficulty finding suitable ballast for the tracks, say approx 3 to 4 mm, any ideas would be welcome.
beamends

Re: Scourcing G scale ballast?

Post by beamends »

clipper wrote:I run an indoor Gauge 3 layout which at 13.5mm to a foot is about the same as G scale, but I am having difficulty finding suitable ballast for the tracks, say approx 3 to 4 mm, any ideas would be welcome.
http://www.woodlandscenics.com/

-> Roadbed/Trackbed -> Ballast

has a chart that may be useful?

Cheers
Richard
I have become.......comfortably numb
mikey

Post by mikey »

I have used horticultural grit or aquarium grit .they both 'grip' nicely and are perfect scale.

mikey
Pete92

Post by Pete92 »

Why not try grit salt?
Cheers,
Pete92

Post by glenn »

used small shingle (Wickes)and a small amount of concrete mix to bond it.
TREEMENDUS

Post by TREEMENDUS »

Hi Clipper
I realise this is a really old post but if you are still looking for a very realistic and lightweight "G" scale ballast TREEMENDUS produce just what you are looking for. It is cork based and pale grey in colour.
Image Image
egroeg93

Post by egroeg93 »

why not just use 00 gauge stuff?? I mean go look at a railway in realife, and you can see there are 5-6 individual stones of ballast between each sleeper. Well if you use normal 00 gauge stuff on 00 gauge track, you get 1-2 stones between each sleeper. So maybe if you used medium or coarse 00 gauge stuff, it'd look to scale.
Gordon H

Post by Gordon H »

Cliff Barker can provide ballast in bulk to go with his range of Gauge 3 (and Gauge 1) track. See website http://www.cliffbarker.talktalk.net/index.html. Ballast is listed in the Gauge 1 section near the bottom of the page.
I suspect using umpteen bags of the size usually available for 'OO' would be simply unaffordable, given the surface area occupied by Gauge 3 in comparison.