New year, new layout (GWR OO 1930s)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
d74

New year, new layout (GWR OO 1930s)

Post by d74 »

After my N gauge experiment, I'm back in OO as I found that N wasn't rewarding as I couldn't use kits or go into much detail.

This project began when I realised that by moving a bit of furniture I could clear a space large enough for a second radius oval. After a bit of playing around with different plans, I came up with this fairly simple one for a country station with a goods yard and depot:

The idea is that I'm going to have separate power feeds to the oval and yard so I can isolate the two and have shunting going on while a train runs round the loop at the same time. I think there's a fair bit of operational interest despite its small size. And my desire for a turntable will finally be satisfied :) The engine shed will hide a simple cassette system for swapping locos and I'm thinking of having a removable cover to keep dust off. The set of points at the back leads to hidden storage sidings.

Construction has started on the baseboards; there will be effectively two 4' x 3' with a 7" bridging section joining them. One of the two is built and is just waiting to be flipped over and put on its legs. They're 9 mil ply on a 2" x 1" frame with a leg at each corner, so 8 legs in all so it should be well supported and nice and stable.

While this has been going on I've made a start on some of the buildings etc.

Ratio's excellent GWR station, minus the canopy:

Another Ratio kit, this one a water tower for the engine depot area:

Nice, detailed kit this one. My only complaint is that the brickwork isn't deeply embossed enough for a wash to pick out the mortar, but it looks OK.

Finally:

My turntable. This is Peco's well type kit. It looks better in the flesh; the photo doesn't show up the drybrushing on the moving part or the airbrushed weathering in the well.

Next I've got to finish the baseboard while at the same time painting the track ready to lay it.

Future stuff: goods shed, cattle dock, coaling station, platform shelters, a bus and all the landscaping :) Loads to keep me occupied for the next few months!
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Excellent work there! great project and i look forward to watching it as it progresses! :)
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

If you go DCC you could have as many trains as you like going round while you shunt....perhaps 2 on the mainline on opposite sides while you happily shunt away......only a thought!

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
d74

Post by d74 »

I've got a clear idea in my mind about how the electrical side will work, but it's not too late for a re-think.

The three main locos I'll be using are DCC-ready, so it's an option. I'm unsure of the wiring for DCC; I want electrofrog points to avoid stalling so will have a real risk of shorts if I get things wrong. If someone could give me tips on where to feed in the power and where and how to isolate then I'll have a think about it.
d74

Post by d74 »

Well, time for an update! With the baseboard finished a month ago and the wiring done about three weeks ago, I've been putting the various buildings that I've been building for this layout since December loosely in place to give myself an impression of how it will all fit together. No landscaping has been done yet, so everything's just sitting on the board.

First, to give an impression of the overall layout, a view of the station and goods yard end:
and the depot and headshunt:
There will be a bridge at the station end and a tunnel at the other to hide the fact that it's a tail chaser. I'll explain a few details.

The area behind the station will be raised to the level of the pavement and platform, sloping down to the coal merchant which will be at track level. The platform will have four working lamps on it.

Here's the station building in situ:
The platform edging is Peco, the platform is brick embossed plasticard. I decided to use a brick pattern after looking at photos of Bewdley which has a platform built of small grey brickettes. The platform will be extended to join up with the cattle dock; it will be long enough for three coaches and a tender loco to fit quite comfortably.

Here's the coal merchant:
The painted woodwork here is painted differently as I figured it's not railway property so would be in the owner's own colours. My technique for bare wood is to use Revell acrylics - Leather Brown as the base coat, drybrushed with Wood. This work quite well IMO and is how I've painted all of the exposed wood on the layout.

The track linking the turntable is home to a small servicing area:
while beyond the turntable is an engine shed:
The inside of the shed is lined with printed card to hide the unfinished plastic interior. The idea of the shed is that it's not fixed and will act as a kind of simple cassette - it will slide backwards into the backscene with a loco inside, the loco and its track will slide out and another slide in (power via a pair of crocodile clips). I didn't reckon with the weight of the loco or friction from the wood, so I'm looking at lining that part of the board with some thin, glossy card to reduce friction. I also need to think of stuff to dress up the large paved area.

So, next job is to chase up where my remaining lamps are then finish the platform and start on the landscaping. I've also got to finish the storage sidings round the rear of the oval, but I can't do that until the backscene's in place and I know how much space I have for it.
d74

Re: New year, new layout (GWR OO 1930s)

Post by d74 »

Well, it's been ages since the last update and a fair bit's been done - it's starting to look like a layout instead of a board with track on!

I've finally got some landscaping done. It's a polystyrene base covered with Polyfilla, painted earth colour. The road's light brown fine scatter, glued down then fixed with dilute PVA. It took two layers to get an even finish. The greenery is done using the hanging basket liner tip from the excellent Cramdin Yard layout... Woodland Scenics could make a killing by buying a job lot of this stuff and selling it on for five times the price!

Next job is to add some lineside fencing then continue with the grass. I've discovered that thin strips works better than large patches with this stuff, so it may take a while.

I've also had a re-think of the shed area, and have abandoned the cassette idea in favour of three permanent roads:
Kirton Fen

Post by Kirton Fen »

Looking good!, like the turntable :wink:

Chris
d74

Post by d74 »

Time for another update! I've been quite busy with ballasting and adding vegetation; there's still a bit to do, but the layout's finally looking presentable.

An aerial shot of the station and goods yard:

Looking across at the goods yard from the platform:

A shot from ground-level:

And a couple of the station forecourt showing my new-ish road vehicles. First, a Modelscene bus that I'm not happy with. It's painted OK but the kit itself didn't go together very well:

And an MG Airline and Morris Oxford. These are white metal kits, I from Auto Craft:

I've got a few bits to do such as a water tower for the end of the platform, a goods yard office and detail bits for the station. I've also got to continue with the grass and put up a backscene.
Pedanticmongrel

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

Is that Cardigan Castle I saw in the shed?
d74

Post by d74 »

To answer both questions:
It's a Castle but not that particular one, it's Wellington. It's slightly out of the era I'm aiming for. Although the shirtbutton livery fits in the 30s, that loco didn't get that name until the early 40s. It's also not something that's likely to have hauled 2 or 3 coaches along a single track line, stopping at small stations like mine :) I'm glad I bought it when I did, though, as it was very useful in getting clearances right for large locos.

Apart from the Castle the two main locos are a Bachmann small prairie and a Bachmann 57xx pannier. The only things I'm planning to add to this are a 48xx and an autocoach if I can get them in the right livery and maybe a Hall to use instead of the Castle.
Pedanticmongrel

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

if you think of getting a hornby 61xx/51xx/41xx (large prairie) they can be hassle i've had a alot of hassle of my new one i got today, i think it might be overcome, so how does your 40xx Castle run then? I've just ordered Cardigan Castle in the same livery as yours and am all fired up :P lol
d74

Post by d74 »

I think it runs OK and is quite smooth at slow speeds; it's got an loco-mounted Ringfield motor. It's a little loud compared to the Bachmans.
RuffnutThorston

Post by RuffnutThorston »

Hi.

I like your layout. I also have a few(!) Ratio kits on my Ffrwd Station.

I have used the canopy with the station building, but made my own supports!

I do like your Goods Shed. Is it a kit? It is just like the one I am thinking off for Ffrwd. I have seen a picture of a similar model ("O" or "1" gauge) in a magazine, if I remember correctly, that one was based on a shed at Box.
d74

Post by d74 »

The goods yard store is this one:
http://www.railway-models.co.uk/1342_1_1040182.html

Station canopies are something I've pretty much given up on because of the problems that come from having a very heavy roof on top of very thin supports with only small areas of glue holding them together. I'm just going to have a shelter further along the platform.