Alex3410's Workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
Alex3410

Re: Alex3410's Workbench

Post by Alex3410 »

I did! It was my dads birthday present :lol:

Thank you for the tips I will see if I can also add some weight to the loco when chipping it and also look at the tender pick ups so hopefully it will then pull a half decent load
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Alex3410,

It might be worth a read of this thread from 2013

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... it=Black+5

Geoff T.
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Thanks for digging out the link its an interesting read, your images will form a very handy guide for cutting out some of the weight from the tender so thanks again :D

In the meantime I have started another project :roll: well actually a few more but i am counting them all as one as it does not sound as bad :lol:

I had to improvise a stand:

ImageUntitled by alex3410, on Flickr

so have decided to build my own solution to the helping hands as i wanted something with more capacity:

I have a bunch of the crocodile clips (from eBay) spare and have not fixed them down so i will be able to move them around as needed

rather pleased with the result, i have a single large one thinking it would be useful for long term storage / drying and smaller ones for more active activities / holding while i paint. The wood bases are heavy as well so should avoid tipping over etc

will have to report back once i have had a chance to use them
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Great idea for extra hands, I like it a lot. Also very nice black five job, I'f I'd spotted it in time I'd have bought one too, £30 is a good deal, but all sold out by the time I got home. :(
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
JohnN

Post by JohnN »

Great idea Alex. :)

BTW, is that a clipped wing mkV I spy there?
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Its this one (i think, the box looks the same - i am to lazy to get up and look :lol: will check next time i go up):

first model plane for awhile

also have 3 Sherman tanks on the go with a fourth to build before i start painting them

see what i mean about several new projects - classing them under single heading of 'kits' so it does not sound like i have just started loads of projects when i have several others unfinished :lol:
JohnN

Post by JohnN »

It gets a bit like that sometimes. When I moved I rationalised my stash and shed about 70 of my unbuilt aircraft kits leaving just a dozen I like to think I'll finish sometime. I have many ideas and things I'd like to try and not enough time to spend on them. To be honest I struggle finding time for the layout a lot of the time.
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

its taken me awhile (easily distracted by other jobs :lol: ) but i have finished the spitfire:

ImageUntitled by Alex Wells, on Flickr

really pleased with the result - i am going to make a makeshift area on the layout to display this and some other kits i have planned so watch this space :)
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

She's a beauty Alex! :)

(Tempest...) :wink:

sorry, had to... :oops: :D
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

hang on??? sorry, well, box says spitfire, and i guess they know what their making lol!!??

I take a bow and if anyone needs me, i'll be back underneath my rock :oops: :oops:

Chris P
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Agreed - good result.

Do you use a decal softener to get them to sit flush ?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

I thought all of the Tempest's had the chin on them from the typhoon but a quick google shows some did not have it some examples here if anyone interested so you learn something new every day :D

to be honest Airfix could have easily put any number of kits in the box and i probably wouldn't have been able to tell :lol:

@Lysander - Thank you, i do have some but being lazy didn't go and dig it out instead opting to just place them 'stock' as the instructions indicated - the finish is down to the quality of the kit and the transfers provided they went on like a dream & I am really impressed with them, its just a shame that not all of airfix kits are the same quality or that they don't indicate release dates on the box to help identify the new kits.
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

That does look very nice indeed, much better than what i ever produced back when I used to built static kits
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

I have started this months competition which is a rake of wagons but in the meantime i have been working on another project - a 1:72 Revell Thunderbolt

the plan with this one is to fit the Airfix 1:24 motor into it - i have previously managed to fit it into a 1:48 spitfire but 1:72 would mean it can feature on my layout! I wanted it in a spit again but the body is not wide enough to fit the motor so after some searching the Thunderbolt was the next best thing.

In the photo below you can see the metal rod that forms part of the motor kit, i wanted to use this to connect the propeller to the motor - test fitting it below

Motor test fitted into the body - mainly to confirm position and that the two halves would in fact join together still!

A shot of the propeller and the metal rod:

test fitting it again before i permanently join the two halves - with my high tech method of holding it in place :lol:

Testing it would spin freely:

all sealed up with no turning back

from under the plane you can see the wires that come from the motor and out along side the landing gear:

a few coats of brush painted silver:

finally its current form:

I need to start with the transfers but have been distracted by this months competition entry :lol: the plan is to install the plan on the layout when its completed, i will then feed the wires under the baseboard and use a DCC chip to enable me to control the speed of the propeller & turn it on / off

If it works well i might look at repeating it to have 2-3 of them sitting there spinning away!
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

I still need to finish this off with transfers but have had time to connect it all up to my DCC controller, take a look at the video and let me know what you think - video is little noisy LINK

might need to adjust the top speed to keep it under control :lol: