Complete starter, follow my progress

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Excellent stuff Zanzibar. The layout is taking shape nicely and is starting to look highly realistic. Nice purchase on the EE3/'37' by the way :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Cheerz guys. If I find teh time over the weekend I may even take a short panoramic video clip of the mountain.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Zanziba wrote:Cheerz guys. If I find teh time over the weekend I may even take a short panoramic video clip of the mountain.
Yeah do! And make sure you have the 37 complete with goods train in it :)

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

If I can get my "bathed" camera to work properly then it's a deal. Ever since the incident where my 18 month old decided to wash it, it has been a little temperemental!

Decided that I am definately going to replace the track in the upper quarry. I think I may put another controller just on that top section too, I have 2 hornby ones lieing around.
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Resized those pics as promised so load faster now!

Woke yesterday with severe back pain so now can't do much! Off to the Doc's to get some prescription pain killers. :o
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Okay, done th video but used my Nokia N95 as picture quality is better than my Fuji Cam! Unfortunatly that means it is in MP4 format and hence is best viewed with Apple Player.

Ermmm, another point is it is 24.5MB (Broadband customers only please) for only 1 minute 27 secs of footage!

If anyone can convert it to AVI that'd be great or point me to a program that does. I tried one Freeware one but it crashed 3 times so quit!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/Layout.MP4
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Done a bit more, got my industrial building in place eventually! Had so much trouble as it was much bigger than I thought it was going to be.

Little chappy on the platform with yellow hat on looks official and Class37 is rounding the bend.

Also, warning to all miscreant wagons... That kelloggs one kept derailing so it is now weathered, damaged, permanently derailed and literally vegetated. :)

On a sad note my relatively new Bachmann Pannier Tank died today. Not sure what to do with it, but taking it to bits seems likely lol. It took an express point badly at 3/4 speed and buckled it's front wheels. A bit of pressure and they clicked back into place but now it is completely dead!

:(

The good news though is that I have had a J72 pulling 5 wagons running circuits up over the mountain and through the quarry so I think retracking it is premature. I am just going to keep it clean and maybe wire up some extra power up there.
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

It LIVES... Just call me Dr Frankenstein!

I stripped it down to bare parts, little pieces falling out left right and centre. There was a short due to unknown cause somewhere but the motor was fine when tested alone so simply cleaned everything and slowly rebuilt, testing every stage.

Finally decided to avoid the buckled wheels syndrome again by super glueing the wheels and axels to the plastic thing in the middle taht keeps the two sides together.

Just done 20 or more laps of the layout, seems 100%. YAY!
blackpool_fy2

Post by blackpool_fy2 »

That Metcalfe kit looks great, Zanz and you've done wonders on the Kelloggs van. Glad to hear the Pannier's up and running again. Will have to come and have a look some time as I'm in Bispham down the road from you. :)
Thomas
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Just caught the video. Thanks for the 37 freight ;)

Nice to see a pair of old 'shortie' MkI Triang carriages behind the Princess class too. I've still got three of the four I got when I was four years old (though I confess they are a tad knackered now!)

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

She was pulling 3 of them and that Loco is the reason that I am back modelling, it was left to me a couple of years back when my Grandad died. I bought the Blood n Custards for my Mallard to pull. They don;t run well though as their plastic wheels create a lot of friction for the loco, hence why that excellent Hornby loco was pulling them as opposed to the rather wheezy mallard that I have (next servicing project, now where did I leave those Neo Magnets?)
Zanziba

Re: Complete starter, follow my progress

Post by Zanziba »

I am back. My goodness has it been this long? Well, I have spent the week back in the loft sorting things out, putting some bits on eBay and looking for some new stuff in the local shop.

I hope to get this thread updated soon :)
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Sold my Mallard on eBay and invested the money into buying a brand new A4 (Hornby) together with three Blood and Custards in a box set (1 of 3000 apparently) for £110 which I consider a bargain given that the shop has two A4's in and one is £95 and the other is £87.

Runs really nicely. :)

I have plans in place for a small extension to the layout to create another small shunting area where trucks can be ordered without interfering with the mainlines. I am trying get my head around a small electrical conundrum but can't remember how to post pictures to ask for help lol.
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

to post pictures you have to sign up for a photo hosting website like photobucket, upload your photo, resize it to a maximum of 800 x 600, then copy the image code and post it in here by inserting it between the image tabs .

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

I may have time tomorrow morning to take some pictures and I'll try and get the hosted.

I bought a E-Z Bachmann DCC controller off eBay today so anyone who can advise me about chipping my trains would be great. I may sell some of my old ones and buy DCC ready versions? I don't know really.