Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
HenryBlue

Re: Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post by HenryBlue »

Looks very Promising so far mate ;) i like the stock, I want that DRS 37 :( skint though lol Im jelious by the amount of space you have lol.

are you planning on converting some bachmann 20s in DRS livery and getting the flask kits?

heres a useful link for you mate, DRS transfers are really cheap here http://www.lancastercitymodels.co.uk/page2.htm the nuclear flask is at the bottom of that page.
[center]Image[/center]
Direct Rail Services

Post by Direct Rail Services »

lmsrail wrote:Superb layout, why have you removed some of the pics?
Which ones? the ones at the very beginning of the thread were removed when i accidently deleted them from photobucket and couldnt be bothered to relink them :lol: .
HenryBlue wrote:Looks very Promising so far mate ;) i like the stock, I want that DRS 37 :( skint though lol Im jelious by the amount of space you have lol.

are you planning on converting some bachmann 20s in DRS livery and getting the flask kits?

heres a useful link for you mate, DRS transfers are really cheap here http://www.lancastercitymodels.co.uk/page2.htm the nuclear flask is at the bottom of that page.
Ive got two more DRS 37's coming next year too :D :D :wink: :wink:

Im not up for the 20 conversion, well not doing it myself at least. Also the ready built flask FNA from Lancaster is £89 ready made compared to £30 for the S-Kits product. I plan to knock up a couple over the coming year to go with 37038 / 37510 / 37688.

Thanks for the comments lads.

DRS.
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009
hairyhandedfool

Re: Dungeness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post by hairyhandedfool »

Direct Rail Services wrote:....During a rather unproductive day in work yesterday i draw two track diagrams for Dungeness, if anyone wants to draw a wiring diagram please feel free :D :wink: .

Option One: Is having the power feed were it is now, but with additional feeds to the Up line and plastic fishplates.

Option Two: Is having the power feedback at the end of the platforms between the mainline turnout and the branch turnout.
Image ....
Hi DRS, been away for a week so I'm seeing all your progress in one lump, looking good. I'm glad you are getting back into it.

With regards to the above, I would go with option one, I think option two would give you more power outages than you think. If you stick with Electrofrog points you will need power feeds above and below points A and B to make sure the power is distributed correctly anyway, so all option two is doing is giving you a feed further up the line, not a bad thing, but perhaps not essential, especially as a feed on the storage siding under the town is probably a wise idea anyway. You might also want a feed on each of the lines at 'Dungeness'.

hth.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
Direct Rail Services

Many Thanks Mr HHOF.

Im going to crack on with what you suggested after christmas. Ive had a go at Dungeness this afternoon but my phone's battery died so I will post some pictures tomorrow.

DRS.
Last edited by Direct Rail Services on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class 66

Post by Class 66 »

Liking it alot DRS. Can't wait to see some scatter on them hills!

Keep up the good work! :D
Direct Rail Services

Im planning to use the up turned hanging basket liner for the most part of the hill covering to recreate grass, mixed with scatter towards the tops around the mass of trees and at the bottoms around the boundary fences and in the cess.

All along the back of the hills are will be a woodland to cover up that mess that is the 'sky' ! :shock: :cry: .

Thanks for the comments.

Oh and I will 'hopefully' have to VERY VERY special items of rolling stock in a week or so!. :shock: :shock: 8) 8) :wink: :lol: :lol:

Ta Ta for now.

PS:
I'll post those pictures from today, tomorrow.

DRS.
Direct Rail Services

I managed some work this afternoon, in what is fast becoming my Wednesday work day, the mother in law comes up to she the wife and kids so I slop off and do some work!.
First things first the pictures of works carried out on Monday:
I finished off the painting of the hills around Lydd:

I also painted the bare board all the way round to Appledore:

And into Appledore station:

Another picture of my short term reduced engine fleet in Appledore Station:

Right, work this afternoon centered on completing the long put off works around Appledore Town (on the hill) which doubles up as cover for the hidden storage siding. Ive put the first coat of paste and paper to cover the chicken mesh, but it still needs some more of the latter to make it a little more tought.

I built some wooden supports and a tunnel month, formed the chicken wire over the formers:

The tunnel that will be Appledore East Tunnel, to go with the West tunnel at the other end of the station:

The semi completed tunnel and mouth, a little rough and ready at the minute:

And from afar:

This view is looking out from inside the tunnel, from the escape hatch:

I still need to make the 'banks' a little thicker to kee out the light, but its taking shape. I especially like this picture of 37038 on the blocks:

I plan to provide some sort of temp. light in the form of a bulb and battery to light up the inside of the tunnel for maintenance and rerailing.
As for Appledore town centre, which was planned to sit on top of the hill, Im now thinging about making it a thick woodland extending down the embankment and into the station area. As the real Appledore town is behind the station and there is woodland to the east of the station.

Other News:
For those's who havent seen my new thread in layout planning section, Ive started the inital planning for my next railway in mid 2010, in the form of Midsomer Norton on the former Somerset and Dorset Railway, set in the early to mid 1960's running to the very end of passenger and freight operations.

Im expecting 66068 to arrive either Friday or Saturday, but im having trouble obtaining a return address for the person I brought 66135 off, which is burning when I attempt to operate it.

See Ya.

DRS.
Class 66

Post by Class 66 »

Hey DRS.

The layout looks great, it's really all coming together now. Bet your glad you continued with after your previous frustration.

With your tunnel mouths (for the bridge and tunnel) are you planning to put some brick pattern paper over the wooden frame or buy some tunnel portals ?

Once again, the layout looks very good!
Direct Rail Services

Class 66 wrote:Hey DRS.

The layout looks great, it's really all coming together now. Bet your glad you continued with after your previous frustration.

With your tunnel mouths (for the bridge and tunnel) are you planning to put some brick pattern paper over the wooden frame or buy some tunnel portals ?

Once again, the layout looks very good!
The bridge at Lydd will be papered with bricks, and the Appledore East tunnel mouth will be a peco tunnel portal like Appledore West Tunnel.

I am glad that I stuck with it, but im kind of putting off doing any other senic stuff apart from basic painting. I could at least lay the ballast I have along the cess's between Dungeness and Lydd.

I need to buy some more paste before I can apply more paper to the hills, and build up the small banks around the back of Appledore platform.

Thanks for the comment Mr 66.

DRS.
zabdiel

Post by zabdiel »

Direct Rail Services wrote: Image
Have you considered the possibility of a really bad derailment where the train ends up plunging to the floor through the hole? I think it's fairly unlikely but it'd suck if it happened!
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

Owch, that could end up in a nasty pile of broken locos and wagons!
Regards, Jed
Direct Rail Services

I have considered it, but I was so upset I couldnt bear come to terms with the fact it could happen.

The cost to benifit ratio is 99:1. So the cost far outweighs the benifit. :D :D :D

No, really Id hadnt thought of it until you wise men suggested it, cheers. I think I will install a crash wall to minimise any effects of a derailment.

DRS.
Direct Rail Services

I suspose I should update this thread before it desappears into the page of lost threads!!!!.

Very little work has been undertaken on Dungeness since the last update with only the arrival of 66068 and 66405 to comment on, only 068 is DCC onboard at present but 405 will be done in the new year.

The planned increase of my DRS 37 fleet fall through at the last minute, if it had come off as expected the increase would have come about with the addtion of 37604 and a FNA flask carrier. But thats the way sometimes.

With my mini traincrew's off for christmas now, no work will be undertaken until after christmas or even early in Jan 09.

Bye for now and have a good xmas and new year!

DRS.
Direct Rail Services

After many days of thinking about the work needed to complete Dungeness and how to complete the layout as per the orginal spec. To recreate the branch in the most prototypical form.

After a lot of though, Ive come to the conclusion that the Dungeness idea would once completed provide very little in the way of operational excitment and would have had a very sort life.

I think you know were im going with this so i will cut to the chase.

The Dungeness Branch is closed RIP.

DRS.
Mighty

Post by Mighty »

DRS! After all that hard work you seemed to be progressing so well! Why the sudden change of heart?
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=20737