Complete starter, follow my progress

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
blackpool_fy2

Post by blackpool_fy2 »

Oh, and could you please tell me what your support was when you applied the plaster of paris?
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Zanziba wrote:Ok, I have done a bit more. I have tried brown paint and green under my scatter, which looks best?

BROWN (Notice the Mallard pulling the coaches as recommended by NRM people)

or in GREEN

I think both are good because sometimes you see areas of lush green grass and other times you see the grass worn away to bare earth because (for eg) people have walked across it. So use both, depending on the sort of area you are are trying to recreate.

Anyway - I was going to say I think your mountains are quite dramatic - looking forward to seeing them develop !
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

If you look back a bit, and if they;re all working, you will see the start of the mountains:

1) hardboard for 2nd layer on 1x2" wooden legs. (8cm high but higher is needed if you're ever going to run pendolino trains.

2) Chicken wire shape (very flimsy) held in plce using natural shape, tacks and glue

3) Newspaper and wallpaper paste (Gives something for the plaster to stick to but not really adding much strength

4) Multi-purpose plaster from B&Q 12.5kg for £6.89, used about half of it, just add water (made it quite runny so smoother finish)

Still to do:

5) File off sharp bits and unnatural lines

6) Paint (green = hilly bits, brown = steep bits, grey = vertical bits and outcrops)

7) PVA + water on green + grey bits, add scatter grass

8) Final touches, paths, paint detail on cliffs, fences + sheep.

Hardest bits so far: cutting and handling chicken wire, reaching the back (4 foot from front of board over a mountain with limited ceiling height!)
train_frenzy

plastered..

Post by train_frenzy »

Hi Steve

Great pics, your layout is really coming on now!. Keep up the good work and look forward to more pics soon. I think a mixture of brown/green looks the best.

Many thanks for assisting me with my layout trauma!.. :lol:, will keep you posted.

cheers

H
matticus88

Post by matticus88 »

Hi Zanziba,

I was wondering how you are going to finish the larger tunnel entrance in this picture

as i am also going to be making a wider than double track tunnel entrance and i do not know how i'm going to neaten the entrance up.
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

I'm going to make an oval shape out of hardboard from a template made of paper. I am then going to glue on a print out of a tunnel front from a picture sourced on-line... I think?

At least, that is plan A.

If i am unhappy with the result I'll go the hardboard route again but scratch in the detail and paint the stone by hand.
blackpool_fy2

Post by blackpool_fy2 »

Right. Thanks for that tip, Zanz! :) I'm thinking of getting Mallard but in blue from Hornby. I really like it! ;) Oh.. and I like the green scatter on green paint personally, although the brown would be just as good if you perhaps added a little more scatter. :D
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

As I understand it the Mallard was blue for most of it's life, and only green for a short period of a couple of years. As I remember wikipedia has a full biography of it.
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Well, I didn't get as much modelling doen as I thought I would today. I decided to improve the lighting (and remove what can only be termed "fire risk" that the previous owner did... Mains voltage and Block connectors anyone?). So 2 hours later and I now have three main lights, all fitted, all in parallel and all running via a nice little junction box to a plug which goes into a simple socket.

Anyway, I then added two sidings, one long and one as a hiding place for one of my new J72's, and also isolated the end of the long siding using a plastic sleeper I found in a box of eBay stuff ages ago. Just need a little switch now to wire in and something to hide it under.

Finally I did a "little" bit of paint/scatter on the mountain but not enough to warrant photo's yet.

And that's about all of paydays money gone, have to wait until December for any more purchases but I do have paint and scatter left so the mountain will get it's main coat soon.
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Well I spent a bit of time doing the first of the scatter on the mountain. The track you can see in the foreground is the new siding in place. The keen eye will see a small dirt footpath in place which will allow access between this siding area and my main sidings and the lower quarry.

I am now scratch building some tunnel mouths before i do any more as I need to get the tunnels right before I paint them.
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

OK, found picture of a tunnel mouth on Google (half covered in trees). Cut good half, pasted back, flipped horizontal and hey presto tunnel mouth.

Now measured tunnels in loft, go into Photoshop, change dimensions of photo and printed to card. Next I need to cut out and glue to thick card, place on line and check clearance (mainly due to arched nature of chosen tunnel mouth, might have to rethink that for square ones?)

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow when I fit them in place.
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

OK, made the tunnel mouths, that didn't take long at all!

Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

They look great mate! 8)
Scratch built or Kit?

Adam
deanno

Post by deanno »

Those tunnel mouths do look good. You have got the 3d look even though i assume they are flat.

Deanno
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Class 60: Cut n paste from google photo's and then photoshop to size, glued onto card.

:)