Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Direct Rail Services

Re: Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post by Direct Rail Services »

Thanks Mr HHOF, I need to take up that section of track anyway as i noticed one of the fishplates isnt in correctly. So i can replace them with plastic ones and put some wire in to connect them.

I took my 66135 to work this afternoon to chip up, but after i removed the body and located the decoder plate i found that it takes a 8pin decoder and i have two 21 pins in stock!. :D Oh well i just hope the RE 37's are 21pins!.

Cheers.

DRS.
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009
Direct Rail Services

Dungeness Model Railway is growing again :D ...

Not a new board or any major recontruction, well only a little extension to the Project Jenus board, to enable me to ease the curve from the mainline on to the branch and also for me to model the senic area alongside the branch around from Appledore.

This corner is the projected area covered by Project Trident:

The extension will take the form of a small triangle off the two boards about a foot in length.

I hope to start work on Project Trident sometime this week.

This project will run alongside Project Dresden, which is the remodelling of the Appledore Station/Storage area to enable me to operate the layout in DCC mode correctly.

DRS.

Post by 47806 »

Excellent progress, I like how you have detailed 66200 - it looks so much more realistic with the detailing pack.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.
Direct Rail Services

Re: Dungeness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

This is the first of two updates this evening, work today has involed the basic contruction of Project Trident, its only 16ins x 10ins so wont set the world alight, but will allow me to model the woods that surround the branch off the mainline at Appledore.

Project Trident Board, prior to installation

Ive decided that Project Dresden (the remodelling/wiring of Appledore/Storage) is being defered to at least after christmas, due to my lack of entrusiuam for the task and lack of money to buy the transformer i need and wires etc.

During a rather unproductive day in work yesterday i draw two track diagrams for Dungeness, if anyone wants to draw a wiring diagram please feel free :D :wink: .

Option One: Is having the power feed were it is now, but with additional feeds to the Up line and plastic fishplates.

Option Two: Is having the power feedback at the end of the platforms between the mainline turnout and the branch turnout.

Fleet News:
66135 arrived on Friday, without DCC so that needs doing but its 8pin not 21 as i thought as is my first DRS addition 37038, so i either need to get two 8 to 21 pin converters or two 8 pin decorders which ever is cheaper, but i will still need two 21pins for the other two 37's due next year so i might as well as buy two 8pins.

Bachmann Class 37 (37038) Direct Rail Services, unweathered, No DCC.

As above, showing off its lights.

Bachmann Class 66 (66135) English Welsh & Scottish Railway, unweathered, No DCC.

Bachmann Class 66 (66200) English Welsh & Scottish Railway, weathered and fitted with DCC.

My current traction fleet on shed at Appledore Slip Yard Sidings.

To add to these three, DELTIC should arrive this week sometime and 37510/688 (DRS) early next year and 66623 (Brandon Aggeragates Colours) Mid/Late Next Year.

Later one once the kids are in bed i am going to slip off down 'pub' to instal Trident, make a start of applying the first coat of green paint to the hills and PLAY TRAINS !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Ta Ta for now.

DRS.
Direct Rail Services

As promised the second installment of my work evening, when you make a plan, you always stray! :D .

The Plan:
1) fit Project Trident Board.
2) Mask off remainder of hills.
3) Paint.

Actual work
1) Fitted Project Trident Board Succesfully.
2) Masked off remainder of hills.
3) Fitted facas boards to front of hills.
4) Played trains!.

Completed fascas board at Lydd Town

The fascas running down towards Dungeness

Future plans for tomorrow, paint the hills at least.

DRS.
S_Jay

Post by S_Jay »

Dear Mr DRS,

How do you keep warm in your garage? I lasted around half-an-hour in mine (with the heater on). Mind you the outside temp was -1oC
Last edited by S_Jay on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=18394
Direct Rail Services

S_Jay wrote:Dear Mr DRS,

How do you keep warm in your garage? I lasted around half-an-hour in mine (with the heater on). Mine you the outside temp was -1oC
:D .

I put two rugby jerseys on with a t-shirt on under that!. Oh, and i have a hat on and two pairs on bottoms!.

I hit my fingure with the hammer least night, it didnt hurt!!!! :shock:

A heater ! :shock: :lol: The wife wont let me have one down there!.

DRS.
S_Jay

Post by S_Jay »

:D .

I put two rugby jerseys on with a t-shirt on under that!. Oh, and i have a hat on and two pairs on bottoms!.

I hit my fingure with the hammer least night, it didnt hurt!!!! :shock:

A heater ! :shock: :lol: The wife wont let me have one down there!.

DRS.
:shock:

:oops: I think I'm just a fair weathered modeller:)
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=18394
Direct Rail Services

Coming from Wales im used to sub zero temp's. :D .

Im going to have a crack later on and its getting a bit chilly already! :lol:

DRS.
Direct Rail Services

Talk about cold !!!! :shock: :shock: 90 minutes was all i could take this evening but i got quite alot done, considering the sub zero temps. :D

First things first, have a little play with 37038:

Those cab lights are great, i didnt realise the inside was detailed to. :o

The inplace Trident Board, awaiting tracklaying:

When work got started i managed to extend the front facas boards to the end of the bank outside the compound at Dungeness and i painted the whole valley green ready for the real senic work to start once ive ironed out one or two techical issues with the trackwork.

Welcome to the green, green valleys!.

After i had completed the valleys, i remodelled the former storage board and Trident, to straigten out the curve off the mainline:

Ive also laid the roadway upto Lydd Town crossing and over the bridge at Lydd to, once the paint has dried around Dungeness im going to lay the plywood base to the main Dungeness road behind the compound and then the top coat of 'tarmac', also the roadway into the compound and under the crane, fix the crane in place.

Then move round to the Appledore side of Lydd Town, form the banks and try to sort something out for Appledore town its self, which will hide the storage line.

Well im off to have a very hot bath to thore out! :D

DRS.
Direct Rail Services

I managed to finish off the Appledore side of Lydd Town bridge and also made a start on the hidden sidings senic last night, ive only just got my body core temp. back up to a life enabling level !!! :shock: :D :D

But ive got a little problem with 66135, I appears to be burning when it has power to it! All is not well with the motor so its going back to the shop and a refund will pay for my next engine in the form of 66068 which will be weathered, detailed and DCC'ed in line with 66200, so every cloud has a silver lining :D .

I think im going to need to install a proper wooden stop block at the end of the hidden siding, the current buffer stop isnt strong enough to with stand a bump from an engine and i dont fancy sticking my hand down the hole to retrive it.

Looking down said hole!:

The right hand side of the branch will form the hill to cover up the storage road, and the left side will be flatish farm land leading round to wooded area around the junction:

The semi completed valley around Lydd Town, I just need to wait for it all to dry and then to paint it:

Lydd Town with the roadways complete minus tarmac and the embankments either side of the bridge:

DRS.
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Hey DRS, the layout is looking great and progressing at a good pace !!! Am enjoying keeping up with the updates ! :)
Direct Rail Services

Many Thanks, im actual starting to enjoy working on it now! :D

DRS.
beerandpies

Post by beerandpies »

The work on the valleys is excellent! Very impressed.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
lmsrail

Post by lmsrail »

Superb layout, why have you removed some of the pics?
Regards, Jed