N gauge 90's Era

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
allesclar

Re: N gauge 90's Era

Post by allesclar »

no it runs fine :) but the DMU or 108 runs abit loud. Is it possible to run two gaugemaster track clears off the same controller 16v conneciton?
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

Nice to see another 90's N gauge take shape - I'm working on something similar myself. I do agree with m8 though about the kinks in the track, real railway has to be smooth and flowing for comfort as much as well as safety.

12'x3' but with rather less track and more rural scenery than yours, sort of Lincolnshire ECML based layout with a few 'extras' :wink:

Will be running the same sort of thing though - IC Swallow HST and 225, Regional Railways and Blue/Grey DMUs with the odd bit of railfreight grey creeping in :mrgreen:

Will be watching this with interest 8)

Paul
allesclar

Post by allesclar »

thanks for the advice. i think i might have to take all the track up and rethink this ballasting through. like engineer dave has already done, i think i might use normal underlay first, after painting the board areas where the tracks going to be a dark grey. i know it will take all day and will need me to dig up the ballast already down but in the long run i think it will be alot easier to do and with regards to points too. i will also be able to straigthen the rails out. i think its worth it, what about you lot?
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Personally I don't have a problem with the area you've already ballasted so I'd leave that as it is, just go back over trackwork, don't rip it all up, the best way to find any little area's that are a bit kinky is to do it at eye level. I think you're trackwork looks excellent so you don't really have that much to do, and don't forget that it's only your mainlines that would be better off super-straight, the sidings and loopwork will only look more interesting with the odd shape in them imho.

Of course it's only my opinion, you have to do what's right for you, if you like the look of the trackwork, leave it, if you are always going to look at certain parts and say "If only" then make the change now, it's your railway though, do as you please.....good luck and keep us all updated...

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
allesclar

Post by allesclar »

thanks spavo :) i have taken action and bought 6 rolls of gaugemaster underlay. considering they are going for 16 on ebay, rails of sheffield offered them to me for 12 each. bargin. I have started to do the main lines and sidings on the un-ballasted area, i must say its looking alot better and even sound proves the running of coaches against the board :)
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi allesclar,

Thats some great collection you have there, love them tracks too with i had the guts to have that many points on my layout :shock:

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)
allesclar

Post by allesclar »

here are some updates of the new ballasting im using :) it does take abit longer to do, probably because i have to take the track up first :P but i think it looks much better and tehre are no problems with rolling stock derailing or points getting stuck. with additional balllast between the tracks etc, or topping up, i think this will look just as good :)

hard to think that these photos were taken with a phone camera :)

here are some updates, i know the tracks dont line up btw :P

mess mess mess, but making slow steady progress. i now have the entire left side (bigger side :) ) board done. tommorrow i will be using warm water to remove the ballast from the other side and relaying again with gaugemaster. fyi i used about 6 rolls of gaugemaster underlay on the one side job today so im guessing i will need about 5 tommorrow tops.

allesclar

Post by allesclar »

just a few additions to the family, came this morning :)

class 25 and class 55 with coaches :)

Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Crikey you must be spending money quicker than a drunk sailor on shore leave but you do seriously have a fine array of stock there, very impressive.

The gaugemaster underlay looks excellent, I used it on both my 1st two n gauge layout and was delighted with it. don't even ask me why I'm using silver sand as ballast on my latest one, I must be mad.....

Anyhow you're layout is looking great, really super stuff, well done.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
theboyrob

Post by theboyrob »

my god ypu ain't half throwing money at it!

Never seen as much stock in all my life!
Class 66

Post by Class 66 »

What an impressive array of stock.

The layout is completely epic.
allesclar

Post by allesclar »

ha, i have only bought a few recently, although i have owned most since i was 7 after i started the hobby with my dad :) Im finishing off the station area today after i got side tracked, i will post tonight and that willl be the one side complete :) does anyone know how to make the underlay going under the points look good? as you can see i have let it run on and not cut it as im unsure :(

cheers

i know what you mean about the epic :P but i love all ages, i love to see the black five hauling coal wagons, love to see the class 90 bomb it past with a full rake of mk3s and love to see the deltic haul ass with those green mk1s lol completly mixed up but hey :P
allesclar

Post by allesclar »

done the main board now, all i am doing tomorrow is putting both boards back up. when i next get some time free i will be ripping up the whole track on the other board and then relaying it down with underlay. just a few more photos when testing the track angles...

i completey redesigned the station so now the fast lines are on the outside (x2) and now i have 3 platforms for mainline trains and one for branch lines trains, aswell as a spare siding next to it that can store a full length passenger train if need be.

this is where the main engine shed is going to be located, will consist of 2 of the peco modern engine sheds and four sidings...

thanks for looking, update in a few weeks :)

Adam
allesclar

Post by allesclar »

just a few photos of little progress, i have added more platforms to the main station as well as reconfigure the engine yard. Still need to finish off the main end curve and join the station and sidings to it.

cheers
Tank

Post by Tank »

Looks like a great layout! I wish I had enough room for four loops, but I only have two. One day.... :lol:
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk