New year, new layout (GWR OO 1930s)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Re: New year, new layout (GWR OO 1930s)

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi d74

Simply lovely. It oozes atmosphere and the track just looks 'right' even though I guess there's no strict prototype. I think the Evo-stick Adhesive silos are a bit over-scale though ;)

Cheers fella, great job so far

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
d74

Post by d74 »

Thanks!

I don't get your point with the glue silos - they're the same scale as the giant roll of masking tape...
RuffnutThorston

Post by RuffnutThorston »

d74 wrote:The goods yard store is this one:
http://www.railway-models.co.uk/1342_1_1040182.html

Station canopies are something I've pretty much given up on because of the problems that come from having a very heavy roof on top of very thin supports with only small areas of glue holding them together. I'm just going to have a shelter further along the platform.
Thanks for the info. re the goods shed. I have now acquired a kit. It will have a bit of modification as it gets built. I am thinking of a canopy, so that the end result resembles the "N" gauge shed made by PECO. (I think they are "missing a trick" by not making this delightful shed in "OO" gauge! :roll: I had one when I had some "N" gauge. Lovely! :D )
josh993

Post by josh993 »

hi
nice layout
just wondering as i have the same bus as you what make and code are the paints you bought for it
d74

Post by d74 »

I used Revell acrylics. The brown is no.84 Leather Brown, the cream is a mixed from ochre and white and the roof is no. 76 Light Grey.

When you make the bus, I'd recommend you do a dry fit first as the driver's side cab and the rear doors didn't quite fit on mine.
d74

Post by d74 »

More progress! I've been pushing on with the station and goods yard end of the layout. More vegetation and ballasting is done, and some more buildings, equipment and details have been added.

First of all, it has a name! Welcome to Crantsgrove:

Tucked away round the back in a place that's very difficult to get a camera into is the new goods yard office and weighbridge:

This is a very bad photo taken one evening with artificial light, I will post a better one, but this is my new platform shelter:

A water tower at the end of the platform:

Finally, a shot of the track curving away under the road-bridge:
You can just about make out the "Beware of the Trains sign".
02_tank_buff

Post by 02_tank_buff »

That layout captures the look and feel of the GWR. Well done!
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Looks absolutly fabulous! One that last photo, what do you use for that grass?
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Darn laptop's so slow I keep double posting - tch!
Last edited by PeterH on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
d74

Post by d74 »

Thanks. The grass is hanging basket liner.
sishades

Post by sishades »

Did you create the platform edges or are they purchased from a manufacturer?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
d74

Post by d74 »

The platform edges are Peco, painted in Railmatch Sleeper Grime then drybrushed with Cement. They're good because they're slightly flexible and the little ledges for the platform top can be used to support normal plasticard instead of the platform surface they're designed for.
josh993

Post by josh993 »

peco i think u'll find :D
d74

Post by d74 »

Well, things are progressing in a steady but unspectacular manner. There's a little more ballasting done, a simple sky blue backscene is in place to hide the storage sidings and I've added the last bit of rolling stock that I definitely need.

The bay platform's reason to exist and only possible use, and auto-coach, hauled by an auto-fitted pannier tank (I did check that this class was auto-fitted, but it may be replaced with a 14xx when Hornby release it later this year) waits for a signal:

It may be waiting a while as I've not built signals or a signal box yet! The photos give two nice view of the platform shelter, which I'd not posted a good photo of before. I didn't realise until I saw these photos how wonky that first lamp post is!

I've also been detailing around the engine shed, as it had a dropped-in-the-middle-of-nowhere look to it before and would have had a large empty space next to it that needed to be filled with something:

The wheels are off an old wagon, dry-brushed with dark brown and two rust colours. The barrels are brown dry-brushed with rust colour while the pallets are my usual wood technique of brown drybrushed with Revell Wood Brown. I'm not 100% happy with the grass, which I was hoping would come out patchier and less lush but my spots of glue must have run together. The backscene will be blended in with a fence and some bushes.
d74

Post by d74 »

I've made a start on a small empty area near the turntable, across the track from the coaling stage. I knew this would have a utility building of some kind, but was conscious both of obscuring the structures behind it and of making the layout too busy so I chose a grounded coach body as it's fairly low and could be painted in quite drab colours so it fades into the scenery:

I didn't want it too overgrown nor too neat, so the grass is a mixture of different colours of fine scatter with some coarser foliage mixed in then some with longer tufts of hanging basket liner added later to give it a rougher, more natural look . I think I've done an OK job of matching the colour of the scatter mix to the liner. I'm now thinking of how to detail the area; I have a barrel that I'm going to paint and put near the coach's entrance, and I'm going to have a look for some figures to make up a little scene of some railwaymen having a break.