Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
beerandpies

Re: Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post by beerandpies »

I think I can see your problem.... When you throw the points to where they are now one of the individual track on the far right is no longer part of the circuit.

This is, of course, assuming there's no underside wiring to these parts of track!

Now that I look closer, I can see the same problem on the other point too? Using the clips for insulfrog points would cause polarity problems on the frogs for Electrofrog points if I'm right? So the best way would be to have a second feed from your controller to the second line.

I'm thinking on my feet here so you'll have to excuse me if I've missed the point! :D
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
Direct Rail Services

Post by Direct Rail Services »

You're correct than once i switch the points from the bottom to the top (to allow a train from the bottom track to the top) i lose the power.

A second feed is most likley the way to go on this one.

I thought so :D :wink: but just wanted someone who knows what they are doing to have a look.

Many Thanks.

DRS.
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009
hairyhandedfool

Post by hairyhandedfool »

If the problem is loss of power when the track is set for a train to switch from one track to the other, but not when set straight ahead, it is a 'shorting' problem. You need to have some form of isolation on the track at the part where the two points meet, I suspect you will need to isolate the four inner rails (of the six at that point) and have feeds either side of the points.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
Direct Rail Services

I've reloaded the pictures of yesterdays work to photobucket and inturn inlarged them on here:

Looking from Dungeness towards Lydd with the first stage of the hills formed.

North end of the loop at Dungeness

Round the bend looking at Lydd

Towards Dungeness from Lydd.

Overall view of the Stage One Section

The completed hills on Stage One at Dungeness, all they need is painting and senic

North end of the loop

Lydd Town, the ply is the basis for the road leading towards the Level Crossing

The Stage Two side of Lydd awaiting work to start

The storage Area, with new controller panel

The semi complete Appledore Station area

My new Engine 66200, weathered and detailed. Very new indeed pictured on the storage yard

66200 idles on the loop at Dungeness

Now for a little trip down the branch on EWS's crew training run 0Z66 Willesden Brent - Dungeness.

66200 with its brake van in tow sit in the platform at Appledore awaiting the road onto the Dungeness branch.

Now past Lydd Town and on the final approach to Dungeness loop.

The trainman uncouples 200 from the brake in the loop.

And then runs round in the compound, under the overhead crane.

Once the van has been passed 200 backs onto it.

66200 backs onto its brake van ready to return to London.

Once attached to the van, a quick shunt to get it under the crane and its time for the off.

And back to London.

A shot of 66200 and its brake van heading towards the crossing at Lydd Town.

Back on the mainline passing through Appledore.

As the tail lights glow 200 and brake heading into the blackness of Appledore Tunnel.

Thats the lot for yesterday. I may get some time do there today but ive got work this afternoon. So it looks like more the weekend before i can do anymore, hopefully the rest of my locmotive roster should come in the next few days which include my other 66 (66135) my first of three DRS 37's (37038) and the National Railway Musuem DELTIC.

DRS.
Last edited by Direct Rail Services on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
hairyhandedfool

looking good DRS.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
Direct Rail Services

Would it be easier to replace the electrofrog points with isolated ones and have more feeds?

DRS.
hairyhandedfool

Direct Rail Services wrote:Would it be easier to replace the electrofrog points with isolated ones and have more feeds?

DRS.
In either case you would have to lift the track, Peco make 'Isolating Rail Joiners' (SL-11 (Code 100)/SL-111 (Code 75)?) which would probably be more cost effective, but if you replaced the points completely you may not need the extra feeds because the insulfrogs will pass current through the correct rails (the Hornby ones do at any rate!) without any problems.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
beerandpies

Post by beerandpies »

hairyhandedfool wrote:
Direct Rail Services wrote:Would it be easier to replace the electrofrog points with isolated ones and have more feeds?

DRS.
In either case you would have to lift the track, Peco make 'Isolating Rail Joiners' (SL-11 (Code 100)/SL-111 (Code 75)?) which would probably be more cost effective, but if you replaced the points completely you may not need the extra feeds because the insulfrogs will pass current through the correct rails (the Hornby ones do at any rate!) without any problems.
Yep, that's my understanding of electrofrog for the peco rails too.

I have some of the joiners for N gauge, they're easy to fit... The difficulty for me came with removing the the metal rail joiners before hand! Tip: Don't use your teeth :lol:

This seems like a good example of why I read a lot of DCC wired layouts have a wired bus underneath to take power to all the sections of track on the layout easily
Last edited by beerandpies on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Hi
sorry to be a kill joy but Dungeness is on a reclaimed marsh and is as flat as a pancake. :| if anything the track would be slightly raised with ditches and drainage run offs around it.

However, I like what you have done with the landscape so if it works for you keep with it :D

Cheers
Michael
Direct Rail Services

mumbles wrote:Hi
sorry to be a kill joy but Dungeness is on a reclaimed marsh and is as flat as a pancake. :| if anything the track would be slightly raised with ditches and drainage run offs around it.

However, I like what you have done with the landscape so if it works for you keep with it :D

Cheers
Michael
There are some hills :D just not the welsh valley ones ive got. :wink:

On the subject of the points, so i could stick with the electrofrog points but i would need to install plastic rail joiners around the crossing sections?

I wish i was using good old DC power now :cry: :roll: :lol: .

Oh and my other 66 came today 66135. :D

DRS.
beerandpies

Post by beerandpies »

You have to isolate electrofrog points for DC too I think to get the best of them... All this hard work at the start will be worth it in the end though!
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Im glad you decided to press on with the layout and its taking shape, much faster than mine I might add. Its looking good and I think the artistic license with the hills really makes it look good.

With regard to the wrinkles on the backscene, I know its shutting the door after the horse has bolted but when laying that amount of paper and using a "wet" glue it may help to soak the paper and then let it dry prior to gluing in order to "stretch" the paper. Its a techniquique used by water colour artists to prepare the paper and it helps to reduce the wrinkling effect similar to what you encountered.
Alternatively you could use an artists fixative spray, for example 3M spray mount*

Anyways keep up the good work and I look forward to the next installment

*other mounting sprays are availabe ;)
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
hairyhandedfool

Direct Rail Services wrote:....I wish i was using good old DC power now :cry: :roll: :lol: ....
As beerandpies said, you would have the same problem with DC because it is the flow of electricity that is the problem, not the way it is used. You need four insulating joiners for the four centre rails (out of the six present) between the points.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
Direct Rail Services

If i post a track diagram on here or the DCC forum could someone please explain what i need and were it goes to wire this bloody thing correctly :D .

I thought DCC would be so easy :shock: :wink: :lol:

Cheers.

DRS.
hairyhandedfool

Direct Rail Services wrote:I thought DCC would be so easy :shock: :wink: :lol:
It is simple really, its the points that are not :D

Imagine holding the points vertically, so that the two diverging routes are facing up and the one joined route is at the bottom, the two centre rails at the top, the ones from the 'frog', need isolated joiners on both points, four joiners in total. Power feeds should be at the joined end of the points and at a parallel place on the adjacent track.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan