Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Direct Rail Services

Re: Dungness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

Post by Direct Rail Services »

Thanks lads.

DRS.
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009
hairyhandedfool

Post by hairyhandedfool »

Stick with it DRS, your making a great layout.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

mumbles wrote:Stick with it…

persevere... or do a lofty :D
I am probably the last person to offer advice

I am probably on my tenth layout in two years, having ripped it all up and started again, I did this because I was not happy with the way things were working out.

I had what I thought at the time, a great layout prior to joining this site. I could have left it and spent many happy hours playing trains, but when I look at old photos of it, I can see that my modelling techniques are now far better, and that has come with practice.

I too look at other layouts and think that I would perhaps prefer something else, but the chances of successfully copying a successful model are extremely remote, model something (fictitious or real) that does something for you.

At the end of the day there is no right way or wrong way to build a model railway.

Lofty
Direct Rail Services

Re: Dungeness Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

After some very deep soul searching and elevulation of the progress to date and outstanding jobs on Dungeness, i have decided that the best option going forward to is continue the contruction of Dungeness as planned.

To acheive this aim i have split the railway into five sections, each secton has its own list of jobs to complete and to provide more than a plain baseboard.

Section One: Dungeness.
Lay Dungeness road outside compound.
Ereact compound fence and gate.
Lay roadway into and in compound.
general senic around Dungeness, including forming and senic of banks leading from Dungeness towards Lydd.
plan/position and build Lydd Airport runway.

Section Two: Lydd.
Complete Lydd Town Bridge, including laying roadway and senic banks.
Contruct level crossing and roads.
Contruct Lydd Town platform and station building.
Build industrial building oppersite Lydd Town Station.
General senic work in section.

Section Three: Appledore West Tunnel.
Form tunnel and senic.
General senic in section between Lydd and Appledore West Tunnel.

Section Four: Appledore area (including station).
Contruct Appledore town area and roadway down to Appledore station.
Complete works on Appledore Station.
Contruct Level Crossing and lay roadways.
Install signalling equipment in section.

Section Five: Appledore East Tunnel and Storage area.
Complete contruction around Appledore East Tunnel.
General senic in section and signalling equipment.
Wire storage area.

Hopefully this will allow me to concentrate on each section completing most if not all before moving round to complete the lot sometime next year maybe.

Before I had a hissy fit and stormed off this morning, I did manage to apply about 5 or 6 blue sky backing sheets to Appledore and Dungeness, the colour does make the difference to the otherwise bare boards. But Im not that happy with them as they appear to have air bubbles under them, but this may be the appearance straight after application.

On the motive power front, my first engine 37038 should be with me this time next week, along with 37510 and 37688 during January 09. But there will be a very very special visitor to Dungeness in around two weeks time, but I will keep this one until later :D .

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has given advice and encourgement over the last 24hrs, it has really focused my mind to crack on with the project.

Many Thanks.

DRS.
zabdiel

Post by zabdiel »

Direct Rail Services wrote:After some very deep soul searching and elevulation of the progress to date and outstanding jobs on Dungeness, i have decided that the best option going forward to is continue the contruction of Dungeness as planned.
Excellent! This is a layout which I'm enjoying watching. Keep it up and it'll all come together.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi mate

To be honest, I think that if you are going to get things 'just right' as opposed to just making it up, then your idea of approaching it section at a time is to be advised. Hope it helps you kick on 'cos I am sooo looking forward to seeing this layout with a wee bit more flesh on an already splendid skeleton ;)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Direct Rail Services wrote:After some very deep soul searching and elevulation of the progress to date and outstanding jobs on Dungeness, i have decided that the best option going forward to is continue the contruction of Dungeness as planned.

To acheive this aim i have split the railway into five sections, each secton has its own list of jobs to complete and to provide more than a plain baseboard.

Section One: Dungeness.
Lay Dungeness road outside compound.
Ereact compound fence and gate.
Lay roadway into and in compound.
general senic around Dungeness, including forming and senic of banks leading from Dungeness towards Lydd.
plan/position and build Lydd Airport runway.

Section Two: Lydd.
Complete Lydd Town Bridge, including laying roadway and senic banks.
Contruct level crossing and roads.
Contruct Lydd Town platform and station building.
Build industrial building oppersite Lydd Town Station.
General senic work in section.

Section Three: Appledore West Tunnel.
Form tunnel and senic.
General senic in section between Lydd and Appledore West Tunnel.

Section Four: Appledore area (including station).
Contruct Appledore town area and roadway down to Appledore station.
Complete works on Appledore Station.
Contruct Level Crossing and lay roadways.
Install signalling equipment in section.

Section Five: Appledore East Tunnel and Storage area.
Complete contruction around Appledore East Tunnel.
General senic in section and signalling equipment.
Wire storage area.

Hopefully this will allow me to concentrate on each section completing most if not all before moving round to complete the lot sometime next year maybe.

Before I had a hissy fit and stormed off this morning, I did manage to apply about 5 or 6 blue sky backing sheets to Appledore and Dungeness, the colour does make the difference to the otherwise bare boards. But Im not that happy with them as they appear to have air bubbles under them, but this may be the appearance straight after application.

On the motive power front, my first engine 37038 should be with me this time next week, along with 37510 and 37688 during January 09. But there will be a very very special visitor to Dungeness in around two weeks time, but I will keep this one until later :D .

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has given advice and encourgement over the last 24hrs, it has really focused my mind to crack on with the project.

Many Thanks.

DRS.
I must make a to do list like that for my layout rather than just picking and choosing at what to do
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Direct Rail Services

This is what i was going, but things werent being done! So a list has been made and im going to work off that.

Cheers.

DRS.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Direct Rail Services wrote:This is what i was going, but things werent being done! So a list has been made and im going to work off that.

Cheers.

DRS.
I know what you mean. I started a list today but sadly I havent seen it for 3 weeks and im 1200miles from it so its a bit of a guess lol
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Direct Rail Services

Good Evening all.

Its been sometime since i have ventured into the garge so assuming its still there :D i plan to have a crack at Dungeness tomorrow. Work will focus on stage one section around Dungeness. So it depends on how much time i can get between dropping the wife and kids off at school and go to work as to how much i can do.

This activity has been prompted by the purchase of three locomotives, 37038 DRS, 66135 EWS, 66200 EWS and DELTIC.

Of course 37038 will form part of my core fleet along with 37515 and 688 when they arrive from China early next year!, but 66200 will be part of the mainline fleet who will ply there trade on trip freights through Appledore and power the odd Autoballaster train down the branch. As for DELTIC well what can i say? :D :D

Why not? :P

37038 will arrive standard DC powered, but im going to fit the two spare chips i have to them, which i initial planned to put in the two RE 37s, 66135 will need chipping and weathering in time, but 66200 will arrive with DCC onboard and has been weathered and detailed its a very nice looking engine.

I nearly got a very nice Hornby Class 60, DCC onboard, weathered and detailed but someone else got in there with seconds to go, and got it for £56.56 !!!!! Brand New! But saying that i got my 66 for only £56.23 :D :D :D :D

I have managed to get two brand new Bachmann 66's one weathered/detailed and DCC fited and the other brand new including postage for £111.00 Bargin!.

Good Bye for Now.

DRS.
Direct Rail Services

Good Afternoon all,

After two very productive days in my little corner of Kent, i have completed all but the painting. All one of my engines arrived which allowed me to test the track. As a result of this testing i have found a problem with my points, they isolate. They are all electrofrog points so they should isolate? Any ideas?

Anyway Progress to date:

Looking from Dungeness towards Lydd with the first stage of the hills formed.

North end of the loop at Dungeness

Round the bend looking at Lydd

Towards Dungeness from Lydd.

Overall view of the Stage One Section

The completed hills on Stage One at Dungeness, all they need is painting and senic

North end of the loop

Lydd Town, the ply is the basis for the road leading towards the Level Crossing

The Stage Two side of Lydd awaiting work to start

The storage Area, with new controller panel

The semi complete Appledore Station area

My new Engine 66200, weathered and detailed. Very new indeed pictured on the storage yard

66200 idles on the loop at Dungeness

Now for a little trip down the branch on EWS's crew training run 0Z66 Willesden Brent - Dungeness.

66200 with its brake van in tow sit in the platform at Appledore awaiting the road onto the Dungeness branch.

Now past Lydd Town and on the final approach to Dungeness loop.

The trainman uncouples 200 from the brake in the loop.

And then runs round in the compound, under the overhead crane.

Once the van has been passed 200 backs onto it.

66200 backs onto its brake van ready to return to London.

Once attached to the van, a quick shunt to get it under the crane and its time for the off.

And back to London.

A shot of 66200 and its brake van heading towards the crossing at Lydd Town.

Back on the mainline passing through Appledore.

As the tail lights glow 200 and brake heading into the blackness of Appledore Tunnel.

This is the troublesome point section that is isolating????

Im using the Hornby Digital power section to connect the Select Controller to the track which works fine, but i thought Peco Electrofrog points allowed all sections of the layout to be powered, but it doesnt work. Any ideas how i and solve this problem?

One idea i had was to move the power section to the the points south of the station, were the branch and mainline part, this will allow all sections of the layout to have power except the spur at Dungeness, but this is OOU so doesnt need power.

More tomorrow.....

DRS.
Direct Rail Services

Ive just noticed i uploaded the pictures to photobucket as tiny ones not medium, i will reupload them and fix the above. later.

DRS.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Direct Rail Services wrote:As a result of this testing i have found a problem with my points, they isolate. They are all electrofrog points so they should isolate? Any ideas?

...but i thought Peco Electrofrog points allowed all sections of the layout to be powered, but it doesnt work. Any ideas how i and solve this problem?
I am not sure what you are trying to get at really, you may have to expand your question slightly.

As a starter though, if you have a main line and a siding you cannot have power to both at the same time even with electrofrog points without adding extra feeds.
Direct Rail Services

When i had a double circle of hornby track, i used the hornby digital point clips to make the inner circle live as i had the feed section on the outer circle.

The points were Hornby settrack self isolating points, with the addtion of the clips they became live.

I assumed that the peco electrofrog points operated on the same pricinple?.

How would i go about making the whole layout live i have the feed like this:

But the line to the top of the picture doesnt have power to it.

Or i was thinking i could add one feed to the whole railway at this point, between the switch to the branch and the up/down mainline.

Any Help would be great.

DRS.
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Wish I could help but these things are something I've got to learn too. Have you tried putting these problems to the DCC part of the forum. I'm sure you'll get the answers straight away. When that's sorted, maybe you could enlarge some of those pictures from before 'cos the landscape's looking tantalizing.