GWR 0-4-2T's in OO

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

GWR 0-4-2T's in OO

Post by Bigmet »

https://www.dapol.co.uk/blogs/news/oo-g ... locomotive

Includes the 517 class. Will these be models with good traction at last? Bachmann have demonstrated the 'how to' on their two recent 0-4-4T's...
Dad-1

Re: GWR 0-4-2T's in OO

Post by Dad-1 »

AAHHhhh, This has arrived too late.
I have a DCC fitted early Dapol & a Hornby and they work O'K ish.
Then a couple of airfix and a couple of old kit built. None are really good enough.
But I'm retired, well almost retired, just not spending.

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The point of interest for me is whether Dapol design it right, all metal up front to keep the centre of mass within the coupled wheelbase so traction is stable, plastic construction and all the light weight tackle to the rear. Bach's G5 0-4-4T with this construction is a thing of beauty; I am a little surprised that those needing front coupled tank locos of 0-4-4 and 0-4-2 arrangements haven't been making more noise about this.

And incidentally one of the really neat features of the 'Victory' from Planet industrials is an assymetric decoder socket position, vertical in one side tank. There's no need to always unimaginatively put it on the centreline, especially when space is in short supply ...
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Bigmet wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:51 am The point of interest for me is whether Dapol design it right, all metal up front to keep the centre of mass within the coupled wheelbase so traction is stable, plastic construction and all the light weight tackle to the rear. Bach's G5 0-4-4T with this construction is a thing of beauty; I am a little surprised that those needing front coupled tank locos of 0-4-4 and 0-4-2 arrangements haven't been making more noise about this.

And incidentally one of the really neat features of the 'Victory' from Planet industrials is an assymetric decoder socket position, vertical in one side tank. There's no need to always unimaginatively put it on the centreline, especially when space is in short supply ...
Can tell they didn't have DCC in them days.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bigmet wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:51 am The point of interest for me is whether Dapol design it right, all metal up front to keep the centre of mass within the coupled wheelbase so traction is stable, plastic construction and all the light weight tackle to the rear...
And answering my own question, no they are not. Dapol list 'decoder fitted through smokebox' which precludes maximum metal where it is best located for stable traction.