Interesting Prototype Railway...

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mountain

Interesting Prototype Railway...

Post by Mountain »

Doesn't this have everything?

https://youtu.be/qaKHeAE_9JQ

Will make an ideal model!
Bigmet

Re: Interesting Prototype Railway...

Post by Bigmet »

It's a real contrast to the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch. And here's how you do it on a steep hilside...
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Mountain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:09 am Doesn't this have everything?
Yep! Especially for the modeller whose interest is flagging.
Heck of a drop off the table though (2m9s)
Cheers, Chris
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:42 pm
Mountain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:09 am Doesn't this have everything?
Yep! Especially for the modeller whose interest is flagging.
Heck of a drop off the table though (2m9s)
Cheers, Chris
Haha! Tabletop railway!
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Mountain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:49 pmHaha! Tabletop railway!
Now that the now looks like it might start to melt, I'm thinking of dropping my plans for a window-sill T-gauge station and maybe working outside. :roll:
Cheers, Chris
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:10 pm
Mountain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:49 pmHaha! Tabletop railway!
Now that the now looks like it might start to melt, I'm thinking of dropping my plans for a window-sill T-gauge station and maybe working outside. :roll:
Cheers, Chris
Impressive!
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:54 pmImpressive!
I am sticking with "disgusting" on account of this layout runs above a vegetable garden that is more impressive than my vegetable garden, with or without rakes of twenty? LMS coaches.
(Several years pass ...) Whatever you do, don't watch all 68 videos on that channel!

I do like the idea that, if ever it rains, every one hangs around indoors, at the station, and the trains head out somewhere - and can't be heard for ten minutes or so - whereas in a regular "loft" layout they can still be heard running behind the backdrop, or under the board layout or ...

I imagine that one person is in charge of assembling trains in those storage yards and emitting them on demand. That in itself would be a fun task, geared to real-time operations.

I find myself wondering, what with all the DCC stuff that exists, whether (4m 19s in the video) modelling has reached the stage where a photo-electric cell can read a signal light and respond. So that a signal box controller could pull a lever to make the light go green, and the nonexistent driver in the cab could detect that change in the signal light, and start the train rolling.

Cheers, Chris
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:05 pm ...I find myself wondering, what with all the DCC stuff that exists, whether (4m 19s in the video) modelling has reached the stage where a photo-electric cell can read a signal light and respond. So that a signal box controller could pull a lever to make the light go green, and the nonexistent driver in the cab could detect that change in the signal light, and start the train rolling...
You would want the complete job surely? Not just the green light detection to start movement but the yellow(s) to reduce speed, and the red to stop movement; so that the train moves in accordance with signals. That needs a detector and output unit in 'the cab' to read the light signal, modifying the DCC signal with the appropriate commands before input to the decoder, (much as the likes of the ABC system does by use of a diode network hardwired to rail sections, or some rather more advanced alternative system). The 'standing command' to each decoder in a loco controlled in this way would be for the appropriate 'line speed'. So the signalling system output and the in cab reader and output unit both need to be robustly reliable or the operation could go 'runaway'; unless a dead man's handle can be devised.
ChrisGreaves wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:05 pm ...I am sticking with "disgusting" on account of this layout runs above a vegetable garden that is more impressive than my vegetable garden, with or without rakes of twenty? LMS coaches.
Horticultural envy :D and carriage stock envy :D ? Get a grip man, choose one or t'other; or you'll end up planting carriages and shunting cabbages.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

0 gauge in standard gauge form comes into its own outdoors. I have seen really nice scratchbuilt rolling stock and locos on Youtube built specifically for garden railway use.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigmet wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:48 pmYou would want the complete job surely?
Absolutely!
I reason that if this sort of modelling doesn't exist yet, it will. Once the basic Input/Output mechanisms are available (detector etc.) then it becomes simply (!) a matter of programming a chip. Pretty well anything can be done.
As far as a dead man's handle goes, the first iteration would be a master switch at each of the modeller's layout controllers. I suppose that smart modellers have those Panic Buttons already; cut all power and start breathing again.

In terms of short-term automated recovery, I don't know. As long as the error can be detected automatically, the condition Error = Yes could be handled crudely by activating those spring points that cause a derailment when a wagon runs towards the mainline.
ChrisGreaves wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:05 pmGet a grip man, choose one or t'other; or you'll end up planting carriages and shunting cabbages.
Thanks Bigmet. At last I have an explanation for my carriages running at a snail's pace :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Chris
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Here is a much better view of the railway.

https://youtu.be/ELyVw-ZzZkM?si=gIHzIQFMa114k3pA

Enjoy!