Hattons closing down

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Buelligan

Hattons closing down

Post by Buelligan »

I've just seen an announcement on their Facebook page that Hattons will be winding down business and closing in the near future, though no date has been decided.

Announcement can be found here:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/closure?utm_s ... wVYF4av40Y
Morayshire

Re: Hattons closing down

Post by Morayshire »

Heard the news by email just now. Gutted. Their trunk service was brilliant. I was looking forward to the next run of barclay tanks. Prices for new were usually good and their pre-owned section took more of my money than any other retailer.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Wow! That is some news! Cannot say Im surprised as Id noticed there were fewer and fewer brand new products being offered for sale and they seemed to be offering more and more used and 2nd hand items.

Running any High Street business is a tough ask. This should perhaps be an eye opening moment for those who complain 300 quid is far too much for a loco etc. These places arent making millions via 'excessive' pricing like some seem to think.

Ive seen lots of model shops close over the years and while this is just another one, the fact they are probably one of the two biggest speaks volumes.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

This suggests there is a cold wind blowing through the model railway trade.

Bad news for their staff as a start to 2024; given their consistently good service quality I would hope they will readily find new employment.

Post by 6412 »

Very great shame and very sorry for the staff involved. There is also the knock on effect for the model railway magazine trade in that Hattons were big advertisors.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Bigmet wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:57 pm This suggests there is a cold wind blowing through the model railway trade.

Bad news for their staff as a start to 2024; given their consistently good service quality I would hope they will readily find new employment.
I obviously endorse what you say about the staff. They must be gutted even if they got wind of this as those on the shop floor frequently do, before news landed. I noticed that 'Dave' who used to do those Hattons vids has been at Ellis Clarke for a while.

Hattons say they arent insolvent. Yet! Clearly and despite the prices we pay for their items, they've been sailing close to the wind and do not see profitability increasing in the short term. One thing you dont want to do in any business is be working just be making enough money to pay everyone else's bills.

Has their 'dispute' with Bachmann and not selling their new lines, the cost of bringing their own brand rolling stock etc together with high interest rates all had an effect on the overall trading position? Seems hard not to come to this conclusion.

With Hattons going, there will be less pressure on Rails to discount as much even if TMC and one or two other players may occassionally run discounted lines. Dont be surprised if overall, your modelling spend has to increase if you want the latest lines.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

We'll get some clue to confidence within the trade if another business comes forward to acquire some of the Hattons product. Not necessarily the physical product, but such as their superior online platform. That last is what I will miss if it disappears, all the others are clunkfests, and don't have much appeal, I'll only go to these if it is the only way to obtain a particularly desireable product. In short, I have a feeling i'll be spending less. More time to build and operate the layout.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

With the absurd current pricing of model railway items compounded by Hattons closing, that heralds the end of my model railroading buying days.

Although I'll miss adding to the collection occasionally, -love a rake of new Bulleids, fortunately I'm sufficiently well stocked to see me out without spending another penny other than on decoders as required.

Very sad on many levels though. Vale Hattons. You will be missed by many.
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

Basically disastrous for me in Ireland and removes the easily accessible second hand items which I've bought from Hatton's for years as I can't often afford new stuff, so I'll probably be kinda stuck now.

Hatton's had proper registration with the VAT in Ireland and affordable shipping and the Trunk service, had one of the only working online shop interfaces (many are diabolical, I've never liked Rails website). Never had any issues with customs as I can ship up to like 140 euros worth of stuff at a time without customs duties. The selection of second hand stuff was great, it'll be much harder to acquire things now. I use the New Railway Modellers online shop for things which tends to be pretty good and is quite well laid out and organised and one of the better organised online shops, but that is only new things.

I could try ebaying again but I'll have to get it shipped to my friend in the North of England and have him ship it and deal with customs which is just highly irritating and much more expensive. I mean if it weren't for Hatton's I wouldn't have afforded at least half of my rolling stock.

Oh well, at least Hornby's new announcement tomorrow will give some optimism....or not...

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
lenht1951

Post by lenht1951 »

Rather odd, article from BRM forum 3rd November 2023 https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/18 ... in-the-us/
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

What a shame. Although I don't plan on buying much more, if anything, it's still sad to see them go. I read the article on RMWeb, but don't know if it'll help modellers in the UK.

As has been said, their web site is/was second to none.
Pete.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Peterm wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:34 am What a shame. Although I don't plan on buying much more, if anything, it's still sad to see them go. I read the article on RMWeb, but don't know if it'll help modellers in the UK.

As has been said, their web site is/was second to none.
Hear, Hear! Peter. For us in the antipodes, they were a boon in every respect. I bought heaps from them. I personally spent somewhere in the double digits thousands of UK pounds with them between 2009 and 2017. I also opportunity or specific brand/item shopped elsewhere in the UK, US and AU too, but nowhere near to the same extent. Hattons were still my go-to despite losing NEW Bachmann and Airfix (model kit) product several years ago. They will be sorely missed by those of us down under.
End2end

Post by End2end »

After a slew of emails from Hattons in the run up to Christmas, this is rather surprising news.
A great shame.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

lenht1951 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:31 pm Rather odd, article from BRM forum 3rd November 2023 https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/18 ... in-the-us/
Wait and see on this. Could have been a mistake that on analysis has prompted this move; or an intention to relocate where the immediate prospects look better?
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

It was a little vague, but on a recent post on an American model railway forum, it mentioned that Hattons bought MB Klein, and the business closed-down immediately and all stock removed! Suggestion was that Hatton just bought the name? Sadly it is all now water under the bridge.