009 Peco Track Power Advice

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
Savvy86

009 Peco Track Power Advice

Post by Savvy86 »

Hello all,

I hope someone can give me some directions on powering the attached layout with planned sidings. Its been built with 009 Peco Flexi and electrofrog points. Im intending to Power with guagemaster Model D controller. Currently the loop of track is powered however if i change a point I immediatly lose power until the loop is restored. I expect this is down to the electrofrog points. If someone could advise where i need to make changes to rectify it would be much appreciated. Ive drilled holes ready for powered point motors but until the engine can enter a siding i dont want to progress further.

Many Thanks :)
Attachments
image0.jpeg
Richard08

Re: 009 Peco Track Power Advice

Post by Richard08 »

Assuming you have insulated joiners on the crossing vees (frogs), which is the way to go with electrofrog points, then you will need additional feeds where the vees cut off the supply as you suggest. If the controller is DC these can be switched to provide isolated sections as a bonus if desired. Basically, pick a point on the main circuit and the follow the rails round. When you come across a set of points, or rather the vee, that 'breaks' the continuous rail, and that rail is not fed 'from the other end', an extra feed will be needed for that rail. Thinking of it as an electrical circuit rather than train tracks might help.

Looking at the photo and the loop at the top : The inside main rail supplies bottom rail continuously, the outside the top rail similarly, but the points will stop current getting to the lower rail of the top track and the upper rail of the lower track (electrofrog points don't switch the electricity per se like insulfrog points do), so a feed needs to be added those rails.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Hopefully this is clearer : Black = -ve, green (stupid paint program!) = +ve (or vice versa)
OO9mod.jpeg
OO9mod.jpeg (73.3 KiB) Viewed 626 times
The one at the bottom should be a black!
Savvy86

Post by Savvy86 »

Thanks for help with the wiring Richard. All up and running and pleased with how my first layouts come out.
Attachments
IMG_8104.jpg