Scenic Area vs. Programming Track

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Richard08

Scenic Area vs. Programming Track

Post by Richard08 »

This bit of the baseboard was only ever created to provide an excuse for the cutting, and provide somewhere for the two Metcalf (out of scale) houses I'd had knocking about for years (failed attempt at returning to the hobby about 15 years ago). Then I went mad and went DCC and it seemed a good place to put the programming track (Plan A was to have the programming track in the layout with appropriate switching, but controllers (Lenz) are expensive). A sort of failing preservation line where I could dump wagons that don't sell and assorted interesting junk could go with the programming track disguised as part of it seemed like an idea.

Then came Mr. Whippy. Having the ice cream van in the goods yard or coal yard were the only options, but not really aesthetic. So, why not use the space to create a scene where Mr. Whippy would feel at home - namely a festival, with tents, stage, band etc. Only what about the programming track? Does it really need to be available all the time? Nope. So, hang it on the wall out of the away when not in use. Space created - and a nice area to get all creative - starting with making a scaffolding stage. Basically a diorama within a (working) diorama. Maybe using a laser pointer with bits of mirror controlled by relays to create a laser show? Maybe use the old steam engine to suggest it's part of some ex-industrial site. The 'spare' wagons? Spares (wheels, couplings, buffers etc).
DSC01939.resized.JPG
It's amazing how an innocent gift triggers tangential trains of thinking. And terrible puns.
Dad-1

Re: Scenic Area vs. Programming Track

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Richard08,

I'd go for the scenic corner every time.
I may like living dangerously, but to my knowledge have not blown a decoder when
programming on my main track. I suppose I don't do much programming finding I can
live with most factory decoder settings.

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Dad-1 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:15 pm Hi Richard08,

I'd go for the scenic corner every time.
I may like living dangerously, but to my knowledge have not blown a decoder when
programming on my main track. I suppose I don't do much programming finding I can
live with most factory decoder settings.

Geoff T.
It appears not all CVs can be programmed in PoM (Programming on Main) on some decoders, or at least with Lenz controllers (setting the address in particular is barred for obvious reasons). But now I've established what settings I might want to change it's rarely used. Like once per engine only really. So yes, scenery it is :-)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Why can't it be both. A scenic area which includes a length of track, perhaps surrounded by grass and home to a "stuffed and mounted" loco or carriage when not in use. The only problematic bit being that the rail heads would need to kept clean, not allowed to develop the rusted tops of unused track.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Bufferstop wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:10 pm Why can't it be both. A scenic area which includes a length of track, perhaps surrounded by grass and home to a "stuffed and mounted" loco or carriage when not in use. The only problematic bit being that the rail heads would need to kept clean, not allowed to develop the rusted tops of unused track.
That was Plan A above, the 'failing preservation line'. Then Mr. Whippy arrived.... Also, the festival, apart from populating it, is a relatively cost-free option while I'm saving up for my next kit!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dad-1 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:15 pm ...I may like living dangerously, but to my knowledge have not blown a decoder when programming on my main track...
Without fail I will always use and recommend to others the use of a programme facility on a DCC system, for safely checking that a newly installed decoder will accept an address change; which confirms that track supply and motor supply are fully isolated from each other. (Thereafter all programming is performed on main.)

I have formed the impression that whereas in the past many RTR OO models had wiring errors and constructional features which made this 'safe check' a necessity, the situation has now improved. I don't positively recall the last time I got an 'error' read on a RTR OO model while doing this, but think it was on a Heljan O2 2-8-0, some of which had a wiring fault, during the first half of 2016. (My own efforts, whether a kit or a tinkered with RTR mechanism, I would never consider anything but programme track, made plenty of mistakes over the years!)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

My layout is DCC, and although not used a great deal, I have a dedicated programming track permanently wired into my Hornby Elite. I have even added buffers at each end and ballasted the track - sad life :roll:

ImageIMG_0731 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
SRman

Post by SRman »

My programming track is also scenic as I use it as a photographic stage as well. It is configured to look like it joins into the Underground tracks in a tunnel, but is, in fact, entirely separate from the main circuits. The programming track is towards the lower right in this overhead view, with tunnel mouths at both ends.

IMG20201011140934.jpg

And here is a photo of one of my locomotives taken as a record for possible insurance purposes, using the programming track for its other purpose.

P_20190930_213319_vHDR_On.jpg
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

bulleidboy wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:30 pm ...I have a dedicated programming track permanently wired into my Hornby Elite. I have even added buffers at each end and ballasted the track...
And also a Kadee height gauge.

My test track is non-scenic, and 'does everything'. Continuous run with all the limiting track formations present, switchable between DC, DCC programme and DCC supply. NEM pocket and Kadee gauges are to hand among much else. And finally there's a manually operated isolating junction to the layout so that I don't have to re-rail and couple clumsy beasts like 1CoCo1, or entire trains.

Whatever an individual layout owner chooses to do and finds best: mine results from a career that started in non-destructive testing technique for quality assurance purposes, so probably would be OTT in many folks opinion...
SRman

Post by SRman »

Bigmet wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:23 am
bulleidboy wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:30 pm ...I have a dedicated programming track permanently wired into my Hornby Elite. I have even added buffers at each end and ballasted the track...
And also a Kadee height gauge.

My test track is non-scenic, and 'does everything'. Continuous run with all the limiting track formations present, switchable between DC, DCC programme and DCC supply. NEM pocket and Kadee gauges are to hand among much else. And finally there's a manually operated isolating junction to the layout so that I don't have to re-rail and couple clumsy beasts like 1CoCo1, or entire trains.

Whatever an individual layout owner chooses to do and finds best: mine results from a career that started in non-destructive testing technique for quality assurance purposes, so probably would be OTT in many folks opinion...
I would say mine is also a bit OTT: like yours it is switchable to different things and has a Kadee height gauge at one end. I can use a DC controller for the initial test (and running-in on a rolling road if needed), Power Cab DCC (easy for quick programming jobs), isolating position (useful in between jobs), power pro (connected to the computer for more complex programming using JMRI), Zimo MXULF, and ESU LokProgrammer. I can say it allows me to be fairly self-contained when it comes to programming decoders and resting items. :lol: :lol:
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

My programming track was (and still can be) a separate piece of track which is ballasted and can be plugged in when needed and has extension wires so I can use it on my work bench. It was also used for display when selling as it has a scenic back board/scene on it before I started to get some scenery on the layout. However, the program track was designed into the layout I'm building at the moment. It's the single siding with a workshop on it within the TMD (as was) for Exeter St Davids back in 1988. Although that part of my layout will be the last bit to be completed, the idea was that just like real life locos would go in for servicing and come out good to go or take a spin on the layout; don't think the real locos were that cavalier!

In answer to your question incorporating it into a scenic area is great, but I wouldn't compromise a layout to get it in if I could justify its reason to be there.
End2end

Post by End2end »

A wagon with the appropriate figures and accessories could be travelling "camera dolly" recording the festival?
OR
Build a removable stage over track to hide it until needed? Not the main stage but the sound stage at the back where the sound engineers work from.
Just ideas. :D
Thanks
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread