Hornby r965 controller - trains only run at one speed

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
Stokestation12

Hornby r965 controller - trains only run at one speed

Post by Stokestation12 »

Hi all,

I've got 2 hornby r965 controllers and I have been testing out some of my trains. I have mostly Lima & Hornby - the newest of these being about 18 years old. None are dcc in any way, all are analogue.

I have been using the r965 controller but I have noticed that no matter where the dial is, there are only 2 speeds: stationary and near full speed.
They don't respond to any change on the dial, they are either moving or stopped. I can't slow them down to a gradual stop or change the speed. When I slowly turn the dial from zero power, the train sits there until the dial goes past 50% - 60% power, then suddenly springs to life. The same in reverse; slowly turning the dial doesn't slowly decelerate the train; it just suddenly stops.when the dial goes past a certain point.

Is this just due to the transformers being low budget or old and would better transformers be able to slow them down and change the speed? Or is it due to the models being older?

Thanks in advance.
Peterm

Re: Hornby r965 controller - trains only run at one speed

Post by Peterm »

Yes to tour question about low budget controllers. There are plenty of far better ones out there depending on how much you want to pay. A lot of people have posted that they are well pleased with Gaugemaster products, but I'll leave others to put their views across.
Pete.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Those Hornby controllers are not the best. Gaugemaster ones are excellent and I think still come with a lifetime warranty? There are plenty available second hand if you're on a budget. I have the Model D and it is excellent. It has already been repaired once for free by Gaugemaster despite it being around 20 years old :-) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Phred

Post by Phred »

If all your trains are running either full speed or stop, it must be the controller I guess.
I've been using the Gaugemaster controllers for years. The difference in running quality over the Hornby cheapies is amazing.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It could be the speed knob internal.parts have worn or have got dirty inside.
Could be that a new loco may need so little current that the controller does not have a setting to cater for it, though R965 should be ok, so I would say it is dirt, though they are not designed to be opened up. (If one wants to keep the controller, find an electricial expert, but one may pay more in labour than it is worth).

Two really good manufacturers that continued with DC are Gaugemaster and Moorley. Even the Guagemaster Combi which is a relitively budget controller (Slightly low powered) will normally provide a much better control of trains. Is a case of one gets what one pays for (Within reason).
Gaugemaster do a good warranty, and I have in the past used it. One is carged for the postage, (And I was charged for replacement internal fuses as it was my mistake they blew on the two cased transformers I had), but it is a whole lot cheaper than buying new replacements if the worst happens. Usually apart from postage costs which is understandable, Gaugemaster do provide a fast and efficient warranty or repair service on their own products, and this is provided on controllers that are years old!
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Is it actually putting out 0 or 12v or is it the motor going from 0 to max in a couple of volts. Check on load with a meter.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Stokestation12

Post by Stokestation12 »

Thank you all for your comments.

I have figured out the problem.......and its slightly embarrassing!

I was using the wrong power supply! The plug I was using the wrong voltage. I have found the correct plug/supply and now the locos run at low speeds!

I have also acquired a gaugemaster which I can't wait to try out.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

There's no correlation between plugs and voltages when it comes to controllers. I label them all, I started with sticky labels on a role, I use a Brother label printer these days. I've accumulated a pile of "wall warts" and power bricks, that have outlived the device they came with, I've labelled them with the voltage and max current, so if I need a supply for some purpose I can quickly sort out something that will do the job.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Which Gaugemaster model did you buy?

Will be interesting what you think.