New to DCC. Cannot get Controller to recognise any locos.

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
centenary

Re: New to DCC. Cannot get Controller to recognise any locos.

Post by centenary »

Dad-1 wrote:MMmm This one is a little odd.

Posting pictures is easy, as already suggested there is http://www.Imgbb.com where posting and
linking is very easy. It must be as I use it !

With an unknown source for the NCE equipment I'd suggest there may be something wrong
with it. We also seem to have a poster who thinks this site has old fashioned systems as to
" Maybe best I find a site that is up with the latest technology." Seriously if someone is
unable to crack posting pictures I doubt DCC will ever be their 'thing' and yes stay DC.

Geoff T.
I agree. The OP has managed to post a picture as their avatar so find it hard to believe they cannot put a single picture in one of their posts after all the detailed instructions in this thread how to do it on this site or via another host.

Im out.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I agree centenary,

Wish I could get a picture of mine in for an Avatar, just spent 3/4 hour and got nowhere !!
Something not adding up ?

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

To make pictures work : Windows - In your filer window, right click and click on 'Resize Pictures' and do whatever.
Linux : In your filer window, right click and click on 'Resize Imagess' and do whatever. Depending on the distribution, you may need to install/activate the nautilus-image-converter package - it's usually not there by default for security reasons.
MacOS - it's there somewhere.

All the above offer an option to add 'resized' (or any other text) to the re-sized image file name(s) so you don't lose the originals. If you re-size to 800x600 pixels any picture will now fit in forum posts. They don't have to be jpegs, other formats also work. Use the 'Attachments' tab and then 'Add Files' to load the resized images. Unless you need to for some other reasons, there's no actual need (or benefit?) to have them hosted anywhere. I thought I'd post this as things seemed to be heading down complicated roads.
SquiddlyDiddly

Post by SquiddlyDiddly »

Here goes another attempt at posting photos.
20230406_070559 (2).jpg
These show the controller screen before and after entering a loco number and receiving nothing back. Andy
Attachments
new20230406_070640.jpg
20230406_070627.jpg
20230406_070618.jpg
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

Is that short address '3' or long address '0003'? I am not familiar withn what an NCE display looks like.
SRman

Post by SRman »

Suzie wrote:Is that short address '3' or long address '0003'? I am not familiar withn what an NCE display looks like.
That's a short address, Suzie: a long address would show an asterisk against the number.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

SquiddlyDiddly wrote: These show the controller screen before and after entering a loco number and receiving nothing back. Andy
What are you expecting to receive back?

Did you try the Amp test as I suggested two weeks ago, what results did you get :?:
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
SquiddlyDiddly

Post by SquiddlyDiddly »

I have not had any spare time recently due to problems with my house renovations. As soon as I get time I will re-read all your posts and respond to those I have not responded to. Unfortunately due to now having the floors up on both downstairs rooms, the railway issue has to be put to one side. Hopefully in about two years time when I have finished the renovations I can start to build a new layout. Hopefully I will have the central heating fixed and the floors relayed within a week or so and then I can retest everything. Andy
SquiddlyDiddly

Post by SquiddlyDiddly »

lofty wrote:
SquiddlyDiddly wrote: These show the controller screen before and after entering a loco number and receiving nothing back. Andy
What are you expecting to receive back?

Did you try the Amp test as I suggested two weeks ago, what results did you get :?:
I have done the test that you requested with the following results.

The Amp test did not change from 0.0Amps when I put a locomotive on the track it stayed at 0.0Amps.
I turned off the power and started the test again with the DCC locomotive on the track and it didn't change from 0.0Amps
I then disconnected the track cables and did the same and got the 0.oAmps result.
That said to me that the track cable might not be connected to the track properly. So I removed the DCC locomotive from the track and replaced it with a DC locomotive. I then connected a DC controller directly into the two prong plug on the track cable and tested it and the locomotive moved. So this told me that the track cable was adequately connected to the track at one end and the track cable was adequately connected to the plug that is inserted into the power card.

So it is not the track cable and not the track and probably not the power card.
SquiddlyDiddly

Post by SquiddlyDiddly »

Dad-1 wrote:The above postings should get you posting pictures.
I personally use http://www.imgbb.com as my picture hosting site
free still with limits. I use pictures nowadays at 1000x750
as available space here was expanded a few years back.

I don't know what is wrong, I'm thinking either a faulty DCC
controller, or some error in setting up. Must admit I've never
had a problem with the DCC sets I've used : Lenz, Gaugemaster,
Hornby Selects (have 5 of them), Digitrax in both wireless and
wired forms.

Was your NCE set second-hand ? and if so from where ? I know
there are people who dispose of equipment they have trouble with.
A club member is always buying sound locos on Ebay and they are
always causing trouble- we usually sort out though so keep on trying
to provide conformation to actions and we may get there in the end.

Geoff T.
The Powercab was brand new.
SquiddlyDiddly

Post by SquiddlyDiddly »

lofty wrote:Part 2:

The track with nothing on should read as 0.0 amps as stated in part one. Place a loco on the track and you should get a read out, as per the 0.13 shown.

After I placed a loco on the track the Amps stayed at 0.0Amps and DIDN'T change to 013Amps.
tempImagenH49gV.gif

Try programming the loco. Step 1 is to enter the Prog Track by using 4 presses of the Prog/Esc button shown in Part 1. Press enter. Press 1 for Standard. You will then get the Wait screen, followed hopefully be recognition of the chip maker... simply follow the rest of the instructions.

If all in Part 1 and 2 fail, on multiple locos I would suggest that your cab is faulty.

Good luck.

tempImagezzeoIE.gif

tempImageRK6acB.gif

tempImageBnNWD6.gif

tempImagersHKvw.gif
SquiddlyDiddly

Post by SquiddlyDiddly »

SquiddlyDiddly wrote:
lofty wrote:Part 2:

The track with nothing on should read as 0.0 amps as stated in part one. Place a loco on the track and you should get a read out, as per the 0.13 shown.

After I placed a loco on the track the Amps stayed at 0.0Amps and DIDN'T change to 013Amps.
tempImagenH49gV.gif

Try programming the loco. Step 1 is to enter the Prog Track by using 4 presses of the Prog/Esc button shown in Part 1. Press enter. Press 1 for Standard. You will then get the Wait screen, followed hopefully be recognition of the chip maker... simply follow the rest of the instructions.

Nothing changed in the display here so it didn't recognise the Chip Manufacturer.

If all in Part 1 and 2 fail, on multiple locos I would suggest that your cab is faulty.

Good luck.

tempImagezzeoIE.gif

tempImageRK6acB.gif

tempImageBnNWD6.gif

tempImagersHKvw.gif