RMWeb

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
InFullSteam

RMWeb

Post by InFullSteam »

Man, that place is filled with ******s (mods and users).

Hope this isn’t against the rules.
Admin4

Re: RMWeb

Post by Admin4 »

You don’t have to go there, and to be honest the vast majority of us on here are not interested in the goings on on there.

Have a nice day.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

InFullSteam wrote:Man, that place is filled with ******s (mods and users)...
I would suggest it also contains a whole heap of good information, there are some past and present expert contributor inputs to be found. As with all social media some 'filtering' is required.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

InFullSteam wrote:Man, that place is filled with ******s (mods and users).
Ordinarily I agree with Bigmet on most everything, but not in this case.

Completely agree with you. Neither forbearance nor filter work there for me. Just isn't worth my time or energy mingling with the arrogant cadre of EIQ encumbered resident curmudgeons or trawling through the refuse in search of an occasional informational nugget. I'd rather chew my own arm off and club myself to death with it than suffer their company let alone subject myself to it willingly.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Bigglesof266 wrote: Completely agree with you. Neither forbearance nor filter work there for me. Just isn't worth my time or energy mingling with the arrogant cadre of EIQ encumbered resident curmudgeons or trawling through the refuse in search of an occasional informational nugget. I'd rather chew my own arm off and club myself to death with it than suffer their company let alone subject myself to it willingly.
Yup.
Phred

Post by Phred »

You should have seen some of the Australian aquarium forums back in the day! Threats of violence and litigation, accusations of fraud, robbery, burglary, challenges to meet for a punch up to 'sort it out'.

All the fish forums have pretty much disappeared in favour of Facebook etc, so I don't visit them anymore. Good riddance. They were full of rubbish information anyway.

InFullSteam: Sorry, I hijacked your thread! :oops:
End2end

Post by End2end »

I saw that place when looking around before joining here.
It soon became apparent after reading some that the Number 1 rule there was .. It's your layout... DO AS I TELL YOU! :!: :evil: :!:
Not a good place for a total novice and seemingly very cliquey.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
InFullSteam

Post by InFullSteam »

Bigglesof266 wrote:
InFullSteam wrote:Man, that place is filled with ******s (mods and users).
Ordinarily I agree with Bigmet on most everything, but not in this case.

Completely agree with you. Neither forbearance nor filter work there for me. Just isn't worth my time or energy mingling with the arrogant cadre of EIQ encumbered resident curmudgeons or trawling through the refuse in search of an occasional informational nugget. I'd rather chew my own arm off and club myself to death with it than suffer their company let alone subject myself to it willingly.
They are the sort of grumpy old men who don't stop and wonder why their grandchildren don't visit them.
sishades

Post by sishades »

I once got banned from RMWeb for posting a negative post (no bad language and name calling was used) on this forum. Their admin were watching what people were saying on other sites.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I suppose it's always been a bit prickly, even in the days when Andy York
'owned it'. Also true to say if you were 'In' it was more friendly towards
comments.
I really don't visit it much now, partially because of the adverts and as
already mentioned digging for information seems to become harder, or
is that just me getting old ?
Even on here we do occasionally get moans about 'Mods', but mostly we are
very tolerant, to the level we lost a Mod because we were so laid back !!

Geoff T.
End2end

Post by End2end »

sishades wrote:Their admin were watching what people were saying on other sites.
CCP style credit-score at it finest and a bunch of miserable bar-stools to boot.
Best to give them a wide berth and leave them to their own devices.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

We've had a couple of well known names who were booted out of "that other place" and they didn't fit in well here, either, which in one case was a damned shame as he was renown for the quality of the model buildings he produced. I like to think that any newbie coming here gets treated kindly and fairly. Maybe once you've become an old-stager you might get the odd leg-pull or backhanded compliment but within limits that's down to the individuals concerned.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I think I know who you mean Bufferstop. Don't worry. He has resurfaced on another site I am on and he is doing well.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

This topic surfaces every so often. I find it extremely useful for historical and technical detail and tend to use it as an encyclopaedia rather than visit daily. I am only interested in one or two of the forums on there and almost always find what I'm looking for. It is not a friendly social networking site and those that expect that are routinely disappointed.

The issue of constant ads and videos is annoying however, but I'm not going to shell out to go ad free. Horses for courses really.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

It serves a purpose, especially for searching out odd bits of technical or historical prototype information which is where a lot of other forums (and almost all Facebook modelling groups) fall down. I've asked some very left field questions in there and usually got an answer, the only place that's ever come close to that is Britmodeller (which manages it largely without any of the issues complained about above).

A lot of the 'cliquey' atmosphere is because many of the members actually do know each other in real life, many of them from before the Internet was even a thing.

It does seem to have more than its fair share of fanboys though, and the ads are annoying. I draw the line at paying for access, I'll manage without first.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/