Is this site in decline?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bigmet

Re: Is this site in decline?

Post by Bigmet »

Dad-1 wrote:...That sounded like a reference to 'Work'. Being a four letter word the moderators here could take exception...
I'll have to make a kneefall for forgiveness. That was the way relatively few people behaved when shouting a message in passing was the only possibility. What the likes of Mobile phones and apps such as posteriorbook, twitface, etc. have done, is facilitated extension of this behaviour almost without limit... Twill be a cold day in hell before I have such a device, however much the youngsters tell me it is essential. Email, that's occasionally handy, when I don't have quill pen, ink, parchment and a means of delivery available:
Right worshipful and good Sir,
I commend me to thee heartywise and most humbly, whereas the model thou sent hath not the powere enough to make it runne. I send withal my servant Crakes to thy service with that model, that thou mayest make test of the case, whether it runn or nay. And if it be nay, that thou might restore to me one able to worke. Crakes hath some small coin for thy troble in this matter, but nott so much that he should obtain ale for drunken revelry,
etc, etc...
Phred

Post by Phred »

I commend me to thee heartywise and most humbly, whereas the model thou sent hath not the powere enough to make it runne. I send withal my servant Crakes to thy service with that model, that thou mayest make test of the case, whether it runn or nay. And if it be nay, that thou might restore to me one able to worke. Crakes hath some small coin for thy troble in this matter, but nott so much that he should obtain ale for drunken revelry, etc, etc...
Heehee - I did enjoy that! Although when I copy/pasted it into the reply box, the spellchecker nearly collapsed. :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Phred wrote:...when I copy/pasted it into the reply box, the spellchecker nearly collapsed...
And proof that your brain outperforms the programme, no trouble with comprehension, despite the slightly wayward spelling and different usages typical of C15th written English.
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

I wasn't for one second suggesting people should sign up for Facebook and desert this forum with my original comment. I was suggesting that it is perhaps one of the reasons it can be a bit quiet in here at times. Facebook is either something you like or something you don't. I personally get on fine with the Facebook groups I'm in (OO garden railways, British Railway Modelling and Model Railway Enthusiasts) and they are all pretty friendly, It's just another place to find valuable information when you need it. Facebook isn't for everyone and I accept that completely. :wink:
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Metadyneman wrote:I wasn't for one second suggesting people should sign up for Facebook and desert this forum with my original comment...
What you posted reflected reality, and that's something that we should never be in denial about! It is firmly in the court of those that value a forum, to support it intelligently and constructively.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

We also need a laugh !
Thanks for that earlier 'comment' I liked the C15th English.
A tawdry reply from me, otherwise occupied.

Geoff T.