An 8'x4' Layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
MiniNorthWestern

Re: An 8'x4' Layout

Post by MiniNorthWestern »

Oh wow, thank you so much for your super insightful replies!

kebang, so kind of you to go through the effort you have for me.
I'll definitely have a go at drawing this up for myself and look to alter my plans!
kebang

Post by kebang »

Your welcome, I've been using Anyrail for about 15yrs now and really enjoy doodling with it. (I struggle with other aspects of model railways, so I'm always very grateful to the other members here :D )
End2end

Post by End2end »

Great job Kebang. :D
Personally, I like the 2nd one with the longer sidings and longer tracks at platform 3 and 4 (nrm suggestion 02.png).

The only other suggestion I could make depends on certain factors.
Whether the blue track will be elevated at the rear and if right hand running will be observed. (outer loop clockwise / inner loop anti-clockwise).

If the blue track is not elevated, by adding a pairs of points at the rear, you can drive forward out of the 3 inner sidings, round to the rear, through the added pair of points onto the correct running, blue clockwise outer oval.

Obviously if the train is to run on the inner (Yellow) anti-clockwise loop, it needs to reverse out of the sidings first before being able to drive forwards on the inner loop.

I hope that makes some semblance of sense. :? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
kebang

Post by kebang »

Thanks End2End, you make some good points
How about this variation.
nrm suggestion 04.png
with a short goods train of 4 or 5 wagons you could uncouple on the head shunt, run around using the road that serves platform 1, then shunt them into the siding. When collecting wagons reverse the procedure.
What do you think, or more importantly, what does MiniNorthWestern think?
MiniNorthWestern

Post by MiniNorthWestern »

Looks great to me, I really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this.

I don't mean to be rude and don't want to waste any more of your time, but shunting probably isn't something I'll be doing all that much of... :oops:
My vision for the layout is more akin to my local station on the WCML, with the sidings being used similarly to Springs Branch TMD.

When I get a bit of time to finish it off, I've taken your notes on the points and am looking to reverse (?) the direction of the points leading to/from Platform 4.
This will hopefully give me a Mainline loop, with a bypass if a train is on what I labelled as Platform 4.
kebang

Post by kebang »

That's fine, hope you find bits of this that you can use :D
End2end

Post by End2end »

MiniNorthWestern wrote:but shunting probably isn't something I'll be doing all that much of
Not shunting as such, no.
But at some point something will need to either reverse into or out of those sidings and go round the layout in the opposite direction. Whether it be a DMU or a single loco.
More akin to 'train movements' rather than 'shunting' any wagons. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Not quite as elaborate as that kebang but the addition of your passing loop is a great additional idea too. :idea:

I meant a simple pair of points to change track at the rear. As highlighted within the black box.
nrm suggestion 04E2E.png
A train could drive out of the sidings right round and through added pair of points.
Switch the points once train is clear.
Now the train will be on the right track, going the correct way round.

This eliminates having to reverse the train onto the main lines through the present (blue) points at the front of the layout, to travel clockwise on the outer loop. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building