Eileens Emporium ok?

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Richard08

Eileens Emporium ok?

Post by Richard08 »

Eileens Emporium site appears to be down ('maintenance') - is all well there or is it just me?
End2end

Re: Eileens Emporium ok?

Post by End2end »

I've got the same...
"Eileens Emporium
This site is down for maintenance.
Please check back again soon."

It's their end. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Re: Eileens Emporium closed, liquidators appointed

Post by Bigmet »

Sad news, a business which has supported much DIY activity in a range of hobbies, by supply of tools and materials, has had to close.

Was looking forward to seeing their stand at a show sometime in 2023...

Liquidator, in the event you have any claim to make against this business:
Christine Vaines, Begbies Traynor, Suite C 11 Kingsmead Square, Bath, BA1 2AB | T: 01225 316 040 | Email Christine.Vaines@btguk.com
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Damn, a great place for interesting bits an bobs you never knew you needed... :-(
centenary

Re: Eileens Emporium closed, liquidators appointed

Post by centenary »

Bigmet wrote:Sad news, a business which has supported much DIY activity in a range of hobbies, by supply of tools and materials, has had to close.

Was looking forward to seeing their stand at a show sometime in 2023...

Liquidator, in the event you have any claim to make against this business:
Christine Vaines, Begbies Traynor, Suite C 11 Kingsmead Square, Bath, BA1 2AB | T: 01225 316 040 | Email Christine.Vaines@btguk.com
Yep sad news. Yet in other thread, someone's complaining about Kernow having to raise prices on pre order loco and dcc chip. It's brutal running a High St business at the best of times never mind now when costs are rocketing.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

When I spoke with Derek at the Gaydon show I was a little concerned by some of his replies I thought he might be struggling. I can't see anyone wanting to take the business on.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

It's a great shame they have closed. I for one, have bought stuff off them a shows many times. They did a range of brass strip (their own brand) that was half the price of others and always had a great range of building materials. They will be missed!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Their most useful attribute was the range of their products. You could get almost everything for a project from the same place, with consequent saving in postage. Perhaps this thread could be used as the place to tell everyone where you find the things that you always turned to Eileen's for.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

It is a big shame, thoughts are with Derek, family and staff... a company I will certainly miss.

Had always turned to them for tools, raw materials, solder, flux... sadly when costs started to rise I didn't see their prices increase, plus I know they moved a year or 2 ago, I expect the rent on the place went up as well, its a crying shame, and also now getting so difficult for small business to stay afloat as people are struggling to afford anything.

I have always tried to support and suggest Elieen's especially when I write about my own projects here or in PDF's... it certainly will be difficult now for those who like to scratch build.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Bufferstop wrote:Their most useful attribute was the range of their products. You could get almost everything for a project from the same place, with consequent saving in postage. Perhaps this thread could be used as the place to tell everyone where you find the things that you always turned to Eileen's for.
I find https://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk have a good range of parts, materials and some tools - the site name doesn't really perhaps give the impression! The lack of photos can be a downside though.

Bearing in mind I'm O so your mileage may vary, https://invertrain.com/ and https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/ have interesting bits and bobs in varying scales and some tools and materials.

It's been along time (i.e. never) since I was able to get all the bits and bobs in one place (including Eileen's) - I usually end up providing more profits to the Post Office than model shops. Which would be ok if it weren't that I had to get 1.5mm brass rod from one place and 1.0mm from another because no one stocked both!