A quick surface point motor query

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Ken Shabby

A quick surface point motor query

Post by Ken Shabby »

Hi,
The replacement of a hugely annoying curved point with a straight one , and the subsequent remodelling of the surrounding track , means I need to fit a new point motor. Up until now I've always fitted the point motors under the point, but this new point is in a cutting and so a surface point motor won't be so easy to see. The other reason for a surface point motor is I'm recovering from a trapped nerve and I don't want to be crawling around under the baseboard too much.
I'll be using a Peco PL-11 motor which looks easy enough to fit, but before I buy one I just need to know If the point motor can be fitted to either side of the point ?
The point is a SL-91 insulfrog Streamline and the is only really room on to fit it on the right side where the track diverges rather than the straight side.

Thanks, Ken
Mountain

Re: A quick surface point motor query

Post by Mountain »

There is a little adaptor base that Peco sell for surface mounting the standard type point motors (Peco) which looks easy enough to fit as the point solenoid clips in via its tags which are then bent over and the adapter is screwed onto rhe surface of the board with the solenoid in an upsidown position and the adapter simply moves the point tie bar via the little side pip thing on the point. It is designed to fit.
Alternstively, Peco do those litrle side mounted solenoids. I have not tried one myself but they look a good idea for those difficult to reach areas.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I think there can be a problem fitting the surface mount motor on the curve side if you have stock with a low overhang. I would prefer to make a crank and link to allow a standard motor to be sited well into the nearside bank of the cutting. If further disguise is required, small hut, vegetation or any other bit of trackside clutter could be used.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
lenht1951

Post by lenht1951 »

E mail Peco, they are amazingly quick to reply :D
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Thanks for the advice. I was on the verge of purchasing the surface point motor, when I found a spare SL-91 point with a PL-10 point motor already fitted. It had been bought for a shunting layout which I started in lock down which had been abandoned after a couple of weeks work.
It turned out that the area the point would be fitted wasn't as cramped as I first thought , and so cutting the hole and fitting it was reasonably easy.
Ken
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

This topic resonates with me, having discovered that underboard connections are now beyond my capabilities. Yes I run wires and cables below the boards but all connections are made above, so much easier when connecting and even more so when trying to trace a fault. Sheds, small brick buildings grounded bodies, hollow clumps of foliage and even a derelict pigsty offer hidden connection points throughout the layout and make wiring a doddle. If I ever electrify point operation it will all be above board, just another set of challenges for the camouflage department.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions