Soap dispenser motor

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Mountain

Re: Soap dispenser motor

Post by Mountain »

Thanks.....
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bigmet wrote:(Perhaps this is just me, but 'air fresheners' and the like would be better generally titled 'rancid stinkmakers', or in the case of the least offensive examples, 'spectacularly sickly sweet overkill'.
:lol: :lol: Agreed!
I meant the infra-red parts though. Perhaps in hidden sidings as detection. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Bigmet wrote:
End2end wrote:Something just occurred to me. Those auto air fresheners that spray when someone walks passed.
I bet they have some interesting electrickery inside...
For sure. But do you want your model railway to smell like some nasal incompetent's idea of what a spring meadow smells like? :lol: (Perhaps this is just me, but 'air fresheners' and the like would be better generally titled 'rancid stinkmakers', or in the case of the least offensive examples, 'spectacularly sickly sweet overkill'. It's like bagpipes, quite pleasant played from the far side of a Scottish loch, as heard at my location 22 miles north of Trafalgar Square.)
:lol: Well said. I feel exactly the same about those rancid stink makers.
Pete.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I must admit that when I once stayed in a room for the night with one of those in, I had to shut it in the toilet as the smells were giving me partial shutdowns. I could not turn the thing off as it did not have an off switch and I had no access to its battery compartment.

Every time it worked it made a noise and my Mum thought someone had a bad cold and was sneezing in the accomodation next door.

I don't get on with smells.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

If you have pets some of those stink maker flavours are also lethal, both plug in and battery operated types. I have seen reports of folk using them to mask doggy smells and a rapid trip to the vet was needed.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

End2end wrote:...I meant the infra-red parts though. Perhaps in hidden sidings as detection. :idea:
You could exploit that. The Dettol soap dispenser was a 'break the beam' detector, neat little unit with a red LED (could go on a buffer stop!).
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Mountain wrote:You will know who obtained their motors from where as when at exhibitions some will smell nice and every so often spray what looks like steam out of their chassis...,
From some of the attendees at exhibitions this sounds like a definite plus….. :wink:
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I just connect them up to my variable power supply, and wind it up to the fastest sensible speed. Usually comes out at just under 3,6 or 12 volts. In the last couple of decades I've only had two motors go open circuit, a Hornby ringfield and the can motor in a Bachmann Class 03 Shunter. The freebie ones out of toothbrushes, furbies and various short life action toys seem unburstable.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

RAF96 wrote:If you have pets some of those stink maker flavours are also lethal, both plug in and battery operated types. I have seen reports of folk using them to mask doggy smells and a rapid trip to the vet was needed.
For the people or for the dog?
Byegad

Post by Byegad »

Bigmet wrote:
End2end wrote:Something just occurred to me. Those auto air fresheners that spray when someone walks passed.
I bet they have some interesting electrickery inside...
For sure. But do you want your model railway to smell like some nasal incompetent's idea of what a spring meadow smells like? :lol: (Perhaps this is just me, but 'air fresheners' and the like would be better generally titled 'rancid stinkmakers', or in the case of the least offensive examples, 'spectacularly sickly sweet overkill'. It's like bagpipes, quite pleasant played from the far side of a Scottish loch, as heard at my location 22 miles north of Trafalgar Square.)
Yes the 'Pipes' are best heard in Scotland, at a safe 100 miles from the border I really enjoy not hearing them!

Our next door neighbour is an air 'freshener' fan. She took a parcel in for us and, while I really appreciated the thoughtful act, I had to take it into the garden, unwrap it, put the wrapping in the bin and wash my hands before I wasn't blinded by the 'scent'. It set my asthma off big time!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

When I was buying my previous car, The first time I looked at it the only thing I didn't like was the overbearing pong from an "air freshener", The salesman realised and threw it out, but when I took another look it was obvious it was an attempt to clear the smell of stale tobacco. I liked the car and he promised me it would be freshened up. He was true to his word the smell was gone, in a box on the passenger seat was a brand new draw for the ash-tray, which they had been forced to throw out before they could make any progress on removing the smell.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions