Ikea tables for a baseboard

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Ed84

Ikea tables for a baseboard

Post by Ed84 »

Hi, first time posting here, and was hoping for some advice. I’ve only recently gotten into the hobby, for the first time since I was about eight! I’ve been looking at baseboards for a fairly basic layout, based loosely on the Hornby Trakmat design. The aim is to go for something around 120cm x 180cm. I’ve looked at the HM Baseboards kit, and do like the sound of it, but wondered if there’s a cheaper/easier way. The IKEA Linnmon tables come in both 120x60 and 200x60 option, meaning either two or three bolted together would give a suitable size. They’re also really cheap, which is certainly attractive! The plan would be to bolt three of the 120x60s together, then cover them with thick cork tiles or foam board. All the points motors would be surface mount anyway, so minimal need to cut into the tables. Wires would be run through the cork/foam, but hopefully above the tabletop.

Obviously a purpose built baseboard might be better, but would probably be outwith my limited DIY skills. Joining a couple of IKEA tables together might be a quick, if not exactly ideal, way forward. Best of all, it would be fairly cheap, yet expandable, since I could add a further table on if it works (my layout would allow for expansion anyway). Of course, my wife might kill me before it’s finished anyway! :lol:

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ed
Flashbang

Re: Ikea tables for a baseboard

Post by Flashbang »

If the layout is to remain permanently erected then they do seem good value.
I note that those sold with legs are 75cm (approx 29.5inches) tall, which is a little on the low side unless always sitting down, as conventionally around 915mm (36inches) to 1000mm (39.4inches) is about right to stand at a layout and work. Their thickness is stated as being 3.4cm (1.4inches) which is quite thick. While this should give good stability, it may cause problems with anything mounted underneath coming up through the baseboard such as point motor drive pins. Though as you say you're using surface mounting motors it's not a issue at all.
Note; access all round would be needed on anything over about 60cm (24inches) deep as you can't reach across without causing damage to items nearer the front beyond this distance!
I think I would want to see one erected and test it for wobble before buying several. :)
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Ed84

Post by Ed84 »

I agree about the height, that’s certainly a concern, though they do sell an adjustable trestle as an alternative to the legs, which does up to 93cm, so might still be in the race! The other approach would be to go for a foam/ply panel, using something like the kingspan 50mm with a ply base of, say, 6mm, in panels of 60x120cm, then join them together. The problem then becomes creating a proper support, i.e. legs etc. The main aim being to avoid major woodworking as far as possible (and the associated expensive tools etc!), while ideally allowing for it to be taken apart if we ever get around to a loft conversion.
I’ll try to get through to IKEA soon, and have a wobble at the tables! I can always lie and say it’s for the meatballs! :D
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

My layout in build is planted on IKEA 750mm high tubular legs £2.50 each. They support a really sturdy 150mm deep plywood framework so with a 9mm thick top and 18mm thick leg support plates it comes out at around 930 mm working height (think kitchen worktop height) once the adjusters have been twiddled to get it all level.

My frames are 12 ft long x 3 ft wide and have 8 legs @ 4 ft spacing. Solid as a rock.
You can see the normal height of the desk next to the layout boards, just right for sitting at.
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1211.jpg
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
bristolmidland

Post by bristolmidland »

I am thinking of doing something similar using IKEA Kallax units. These are 147 x 76 and have the added advantage of having 8 storage spaces in them which can have drawers of containers fitted to them. Ideal for all the model bits and pieces and locos/ rolling stock. A friend has suggested fitting raised baseboards on top to make wiring easier. They are a little bit low but the railway will only be 39cm wide. I have to leave room at one side of the layout to allow access to the heating boiler. I already have several sections of baseboard with ballasted track from my old layout, these being less than 30cm wide. I plan to have two lifting sections, one to allow access from the door and the other to a cupboard. I could rehang the cupboard door as a slider but don't want to go that far in case my garden shed ever appears! I am just looking for a relatively inexpensive way to get my railway up and running.
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.
meehow

Post by meehow »

i am sitting at an ikea £17 desk right now. no wobble at all.
also considering them as a base for my layout.
modular, vertically stored layout with legs removed.
the height seems perfect as i am not planning to stand while admiring the trains :-)