Expanding The Highlander set by Graham Farish

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Novice73

Expanding The Highlander set by Graham Farish

Post by Novice73 »

I am a complete novice to model rail in general and specifically a newbie owner of an N Gauge set. I bought 'The Highlander' by Graham Farish. I could do with some advice on a couple of problems I'm encountering and I may be asking silly questions which may be answered with the want of a bit more common sense on my part! As I'm new to the hobby I only want something basic.

I expanded the layout in the set (with Farish track) to suit a table which is about 1.2 metres x 0.75 metres which is just slightly bigger than the full extension advised by Farish, which is displayed on the box. I pretty much copied the recommended extended layout and expected it to work fine in terms of being able to move between both the inner and outer loops at will. The outer loop to which the power clips are connected to, is fine. However, if I direct the train onto the inner loop of track I will have to switch the points back after it has transferred so that it doesn't derail after going round but at this point there seems to be a short circuit as the train will simply cut-out and stop moving. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Is there anything else I should consider or have done in terms of preparation/setup?

I have read other threads and done some digging around the forum and it's fair to say I could do with a point in the right direction regarding how the electricals work... Though I have established that a phrase used commonly regarding points stands out to me; 'blade contact'.

Ideally, in the end I will hope to run two trains in opposite directions on the loops but I'm just working on getting up and running at the moment.
BTW, feel free to move to a more appropriate part of the board if necessary.
Bigmet

Re: Expanding The Highlander set by Graham Farish

Post by Bigmet »

You have run into a simple shortcoming of 'set track' systems designed for use with DC power.

The point blades act as switches to connect the power on the outer track circuit to the inner track circuit, consistent with the mechanical setting of the points which directs the train onto the inner circuit. But the moment you reset the point on the inner circuit to allow the train to run over that point, the switch action isolates the inner circuit from the power supply. (Not a short circuit stopping the train, but simply disconnected from the power.)

How do we get around this? By supplying power to the inner circuit as well, for which another set of 'power clips' are required.

But that doesn't completely do the job, because you want to be able to run two trains independently in opposite directions on those two circuits. To achieve this, a second controller is needed to supply the power to the inner circuit. (We can then get into switched section cab control by which the track layout is divided into isolated sections each with switchable supply routing, enabling all track sections to be powered by whichever controller you choose.)

You might want at this point to consider DCC, which only requires one controller, and has constant power on track; running the locos by encoded signals decoded by a 'decoder' on each loco.

As I hope you can see, your question wasn't silly at all.

How DC control works, and more:
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/e ... ontrol.htm
Novice73

Post by Novice73 »

Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that the set I have is DCC-enabled as I have the Bachmann E-z controller and have been able to switch my only locomotive's address from the default to one of my own choice. That's a bit besides the point but that's the type of thing I can do with DCC, is that right?

With regards to power clips could you point me in the right direction as to where I could buy? I mean the Bachmann E-z has the socket to connect the controller to the track but that's only for one track (in this case my outer loop). Does such a product exist (in N gauge) that would allow for two tracks to be connected to power clips and the controller I have?

Thanks again for the reply.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Novice73 wrote:...the set I have is DCC-enabled as I have the Bachmann E-z controller ...
Aha, since I know nothing specific about N gauge products, had not a clue this was a DCC set! I also don't have a clue about the Bachmann DCC kit, and what provision it makes for connections to multiple tracks, which is what you need. Never underestimate my potential for ignorance...

Either ask the dealer who sold the set to you, or go to Bachmann https://www.bachmann.co.uk/page/service-request with the question of what components you need. That's one way, and while waiting an answer someone here who knows this kit may be able to give advice.

Personally I would solder wires onto whatever wire track connections come out the controller, and solder these to the track, no need to buy special 'power clips'. But if you were able to solder, you wouldn't be asking this question. (It's worth getting a small soldering iron and resin cored electrical solder, and then 'learning how' is my best advice; seriously, you'll never look back and it will save a lot of money in the long run.)

HTH
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Does the supplied power clip in the set look like this: https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/cate ... ip/379-480 ?
If so it will be difficult to connect the controller to more than one track feed without cutting and joining two feeds to the single plug. If you do buy more you could use a choc block terminal to join several together. Note the very tiny writing on one of the wires. This should indicate polarity. Make sure you connect all of the wires with the writing on to each other.
But as advised by bigmet, soldering to the rails will be better and more reliable. It's a very useful skill to learn for a railway modeller and you can use any speaker-type wire instead of buying a pre wired clip with an extra plug which you will just throw away.
Regards
Rob
Novice73

Post by Novice73 »

Thanks for the replies

Yes that's the exact Power Clip that came in the set.

I'm going to look-up soldering.

I suppose I'm a newbie and a lot of people will already have known that that soldering may have been the way to go but I don't believe there is any mention of it associated with the advised extension by Farish.

Cheers.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Novice73 wrote:Thanks for the replies

Yes that's the exact Power Clip that came in the set.

I'm going to look-up soldering.

I suppose I'm a newbie and a lot of people will already have known that that soldering may have been the way to go but I don't believe there is any mention of it associated with the advised extension by Farish.

Cheers.
I suppose Bachmann would rather not encourage people (especially children) to solder in case they burn themselves or damage the track or set the house on fire. It's just a pity they didn't think of that when they came up with this lame looking method of connecting power to their nscale track.
But they don't seem to provide any simple means of distributing the power from a single EZ command station to multiple track sections in either N or 00 scale.
Regards
Rob