dcc decoders, used,

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
conrail

dcc decoders, used,

Post by conrail »

a friend has recently passed, his wide gave me number of his railway stock including 6 DCC decoders, not fitted, he tried DCC but preferred DC, if I put the decoders in my locos and put them on my DCC test track will it show what numbers are allowcated to the decoders or can I just reset them? to the default 3?
conrail

Re: dcc decoders, used,

Post by conrail »

sorry, should say his wife gave me, not his wide
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

They won't display their addresses unless they have Railcom installed and enabled. Your DCC controller must also be Railcom enabled too - most aren't.

Just give them a new address if your controller allows it or reset them, when the address should default to 3.

PS. It is possible to read various CVs to find the existing address but probably not worth the effort.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

No need to put them in loco's to test/read addresses. Connect a 100 ohm resistor across the motor outputs (orange and grey) connect the red and black to the programming track and you should be able to read them. If your system can't read them, try writing 8 to CV 8 for a reset. Note that not all decoders use this value.
Pete.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

conrail wrote:... if I put the decoders in my locos and put them on my DCC test track will it show what numbers are allocated to the decoders or can I just reset them? to the default 3?
This type of question seems to come round fairly frequently, and the bottom line is that there is no need to have any concern for the previous address. With the decoder on the programme track (however that is accomplished on the DCC system used) change the address to whatever is required, job done.
conrail

Post by conrail »

thank you Roger, Peterm & Bigmet, I appreciate your help and advice