Track Pins

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
New2N

Track Pins

Post by New2N »

Hi everyone,

I have a OO layout which I done about as much to as I can so, as it looks like being a very long winter, I thought I'd fill the days by having a go at an N gauge layout. As N gauge is a completely new discipline to me I will have a few questions which I know someone on here will have the answer too.

My first question is a very simple one and relates to 'securing the track'.

I get the impression that gluing is the favoured option but I don't fancy that and am pinning, through a cork bed into a 6mm mdf base board, with Peco N gauge track pins. These are very delicate and even using a very small hammer they are very difficult to deploy.

Does anyone have any tips. Will a pin driver do the job, if so can anyone recommend one, or do I have to break many very fine drill bits drilling pilot holes or is there some other device for this task. Or, is there an alternative to these overlong delicate pins which I guess are designed for use with insulation board or polystyrene sheet

Many thanks

CB
Bigmet

Re: Track Pins

Post by Bigmet »

Track pins are special inventions of Hell to try to disrupt railway modeller's track laying. Really only appropriate for heavy base set track on soft board. What it results in on finer track, is 'hill and dale'; unless you spend an inordinate amount of time making pilot holes.

Better by far to lay the track on double sided tape. If not ballasting then wash on some PVA along the sleeper base sides to hold it lightly to the base for the long term. if ballasting and using PVA or similar to secure the ballast on the base, that will more than hold the track.This is enough for a permanent home layout.
abenn

Post by abenn »

When laying my N-gauge track I used OO-gauge pins (my previous layout was OO-gauge) to temporarily hold it in place while the glue set. They're much more robust than the N-gauge ones and, IIRC, I used a 1mm drill bit and didn't drill full depth. I then pushed the pins in with a pair of pliers.
New2N

Post by New2N »

If I was going to ballast, which I am not sure I am as the layout is in sections and will be transported around the house and my wife would not be very happy with stray grit on the floor, I would glue.

If I was using foam underlay I would not pin as "hills and dales" can be a problem, but I don't find that on a firm surface.

I was hoping there was a special tool or shorter pins out there, but apparently that is not the case.

So I have resorted to simply shortening Peco SL14 pins by 5mm with track cutters and after making a hole in the sleeper with a pin and pin guide the shortened pins work surprisingly well and do no buckle or bend.

Wonder why Peco don't already market a short version?