Yet another newbie to the N guage world

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Barracuda

Yet another newbie to the N guage world

Post by Barracuda »

Hello Folks

Be gentle with me !

56 years old and not modelled for 40 years, I've decided to get back into it so I've lined and boarded out and powered my new shed and built a 67in x 30in baseboard with a 26in x 12in extension making a L shape. I've decided N is the way to go so my question is, should I buy a train set as a starter ? Or should I assemble the bits n pieces I need from scratch ?

Thanks
Paul-H

Re: Yet another newbie to the N guage world

Post by Paul-H »

Hi

The obvious answer is don't rush and decide what type of Loco and era you want to model and if going DC or DCC then buy the individual items as you need them.

on the other hand a set should give you everything you need, Loco, Rolling Stock, Track & Controller to have a basic loop to play with whilst you plan your bigger layout

Lots of options though

Paul (another N-Gauger)
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

Hi Paul

I've pretty much decided to go for the late 50s early 60s, and I'd like to include an interpretation of Bude ( Cornwall ) station or Holsworthy ( Devon ) station as that's where I live. The mainline was called the Atlantic Coast Express and was originally the Southern network before it became British Railways.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

You might find a set that's a 'perfect fit' for the train, for a subject as popular as the ACE. The problem with sets is that they will have set track included. Far better is available, Peco's code 55 is what I would suggest. Selection of superior points and flexible track - you have to learn how to use this but the results will be much better.
heda

Post by heda »

Agreeing with the above. Firstly don't rush invariably you will look back and think what you could/should have dome differently, post you track plan on the layout planning thread you will almost certainly find people will suggest some small changes that will improve it.
As Bigmet says Peco code 55 is the track to go for, much better in the long term.
When it comes to buying loco's I wouldn't go for old or cheap stuff on ebay, I did and in the end sold them on and spent the extra on something that ran better and was more reliable.
I'm an ex N gauge modeller, now moved to OO, my layout was 72” x 32” so only slightly bigger than yours, you can get a lot on there.
Dave
abenn

Post by abenn »

Another vote for Peco code 55 track, and then buying rolling stock ad hoc. In my opinion the ability to flex the track to suit your requirements exactly, rather than messing aobut with fixed Settrack radii, is well worth it. Another minor benefit of flexible track is that you don't need so many power droppers because of the increased length of individual sections compare with Settrack.

I would also recommend going for Electrofrog points rather than Insulfrog. They require insulated rail joiners, and a separate switchable (usually via a microswitch on the point actuator) power feed to the frog, but the effort is well worth it for the improved running reliability.
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

Thanks for the tips gentlemen.
Silly question for you experienced modellers but is Set track compatible with PECO 55 if I tried to expand a pre bought set or do you have to use just one type of track ?

Thanks
abenn

Post by abenn »

I've never done it myself, but word elsewhere on this forumhttps://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... hp?t=25759is that code 55 and code 80 can be joined together with regular rail joiners and a small amount of packing under the sleepers. Settrack is, I believe, code 80.