What track manufacturer is best

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Davidgardener

What track manufacturer is best

Post by Davidgardener »

Hello I have two questions
1st one is what track manufacturer is best for N gauge to be used with dcc?

2nd can any track be used with dcc?

I’m new to model railways and don’t have a lot of room but N gauge looks just right. Ive been advised of a number of people to use kato track as it is easy to use and wire up. Is this right and can it be used in dcc format.

Thank you in advance.
Ironduke

Re: What track manufacturer is best

Post by Ironduke »

1. There is no single answer to this question

2. Yes, you can use any track with DCC.

Kato track is designed to be very robust and easy to use.
  • It is designed initially for people who don't have room for a layout; you can snap it together and take it apart repeatedly on a table top or floor and it will still be reliable.
  • The wiring is "easy" in that the power connections and joiners are well designed to conduct electricity reliably. You don't have to solder wires to the track.
  • The points are live-frog with built-in frog power switching and built-in point motors.
  • It is pre-ballasted.
  • It is convenient and fast to lay.
I use it. I love it.

However,
  • It can look a little toy-like sometimes.
  • It is not "prototypical" to UK or US track.
  • It is more expensive.
  • It is not easy (but not impossible) to mix with other brands or with flex track.
Peco track is probably much easier to obtain in the UK normally and it is very good.
Peco code 80 is the standard N gauge track
Peco code 55 is much finer scale and designed to look more realistic in size.
Flex track is way cheaper than sectional track.
Regards
Rob
Davidgardener

Post by Davidgardener »

Thank rob the track the be permanently ditties to the board as I will be putting scenery on and do you have any power to the point or does the track provide the power. Would you say stick to the kato track as I’m new to it or go peco. I’m just looking for something easy to fit and straight forward to wire as I don’t have a clue about wiring the track up.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Do you have a clue about how electricity works? That would really help.

I recommend you do some research around the forum and the online stores and look at what you can get and how much it costs (if that's a concern).
Regards
Rob
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Without doubt Peco.
To understand the Peco range you need to delve below the names used.
Setrack is fixed sections of track with pre made curves of specific radius. All points in the Setrack range are Insulated frog type. That is they isolate the track in the unset direction by turning Off the unset directions rail from the open switch rail through the frog and out. So on DCC, where normally all tracks are live, you need to overcome this feature by adding additional rail feeds after the points. Setrack in N is available in Code 80 rail profile.

Streamline uses flexible lengths of track which is curved or laid straight and is cut to fit as required. Points though come in two very different types. Streamline Insulated frog are as per Setrack Insulated frog points (above)and automatically cut off the rail power to the unset route.
Electrofrog is different in that the unset route is not electrically dead, its rails in the unset direction are actually both at the same polarity, hence no loco movement on the unset route. But be wary, as the point allows the set directions power to flow both ways out of the point and can very easily cause a short circuit. Usually two insulated rail joiners (IRJs) are fitted to the ends of the Electrofrog points Vee rails and new rail feeds installed after the IRJs.
Streamline is available in two rail profile types. Code 55 and Code 80 which matches Setrack rails. What is Code xx rail profile? I can hear you asking....Its the height of the rail in Thousandths of an inch. Code 55 is frequently also called "Fine Scale". Streamline points are not usually a direct drop in replacement for a Setrack points. Setrack points have a tighter turnout radius than Streamline and the overall footprint is usually larger for a Streamline point.

All track should work with DCC.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.