6x4 in OO. If it has to be...

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Emettman

Re: 6x4 in OO. If it has to be...

Post by Emettman »

Yes, there was a CJF plan in its origins. but the change to 2nd radius makes things surprisingly not simple

Mainly freight, as first thought of, a quarry or mine to dock as an independent line, with limited passenger services, mainly for the workers.
On the other hand these days this could easily be a preserved line, in which case the passenger traffic would have more prominence.

The sharper diamond to get two sidings to the "dockside" is from Atlas.

The green section. The line is essentially a point to point railway, but there is room to connect to get an oval, as shown.
Leave it out and both stations can be eased to a slight improvement.
Or , probably my preference, keep it but treat it as almost abandoned, the line to it *mostly* being useful as a long siding.
But still there if a bit of roundy- roundy is desired.
The green and blue points there are shown there covered, for scenic effect, but since they have no track above them that can be instantly lifted if required.

And, as usual, another 2ft of length, or even a foot, would give definite room to breath. The operator goes inside, after all!

Chris
(edited to restore photo)
Last edited by Emettman on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

"Well it's six by four, Jim, but not as we know it."

"if you are going to break a rule, break it good and hard."

Which probably puts me in the dock. "I can explain, m'lud."

6' by 4', operated from inside. 2ft lift-out bridge for access with out ducking.
Principally mixed goods for a dockside layout.
Passenger traffic is basically for workers: a short 2-car DMU, or a steam push pull.

4 locos plus whatever moves the passenger service.
The passenger train shuttles periodically between top left siding and bottom right platform.
Respectable little goods loco brings swb wagons from fiddle turntable 20" diameter.
Inside track of loop is usual drop or pick up position.
Loco returns light or can wait in refuge (beside platform)
Dock locos can pounce on and redistribute arrivals, and make up out-going load.
Why doesn't the goods loco do its own shunting? Well, while the route to the loop and the platform have respectable curves, the rest of the dock line doesn't just go down to 15" R1, it goes down to 10". Little 0-4-0's are happiest there.
Add warehouses, tanks and cranes to taste.

Chris
Last edited by Emettman on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carltonf

Post by Carltonf »

Hi all. Bit of a long shot here, but if you don't ask....In the 1980s (probably early part), there was a layout featured in Railway Modeller that was a solid 6x4 board - a county station, all on a gentle curve that belied the size of the layout. Nice countryside with tunnels at each end, and a small fiddle yard.
I know it's not much to go on, but maybe someone can help out identify the layout and the issue! The one thing I could add, that for it's time, it was outstanding!
I've just read this back - there's not a cat in hell's chance is there!! Thanks for looking...
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Not really! My suggestion would be go along to an exhibition, or a heritage railway etc. and see if you can find a pile of old railway mags; there usually is one as they're notorious for horders and difficult to shift after being donated to a society or whoever, and have a rifle through them yourself.

Chris; all your photos here seem to have disappeared, which is a shame, maybe have a look if you've got some spare time?
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I'll have it, but it's somewhere in 1 out of 120 mags, any chance of a bit tighter than 80s ?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Carltonf

Post by Carltonf »

I can only narrow it down to probably a couple of years either side of 1983. I had all the RMs for years, but disposed of them when I gave up modelling years ago. Good idea about having a good browse - there's a show at Perth Green soon, and there is a guy who always has a huge pile of old mags. I'll report back if I find it - it's not an intense cramming in track layout, it was just what I am looking at doing as a back room layout.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

Emettman wrote:"Well it's six by four, Jim, but not as we know it."

"if you are going to break a rule, break it good and hard."

Which probably puts me in the dock. "I can explain, m'lud."

6' by 4', operated from inside. 2ft lift-out bridge for access with out ducking.
Principally mixed goods for a dockside layout.
Passenger traffic is basically for workers: a short 2-car DMU, or a steam push pull.

4 locos plus whatever moves the passenger service.
The passenger train shuttles periodically between top left siding and bottom right platform.
Respectable little goods loco brings swb wagons from fiddle turntable 20" diameter.
Inside track of loop is usual drop or pick up position.
Loco returns light or can wait in refuge (beside platform)
Dock locos can pounce on and redistribute arrivals, and make up out-going load.
Why doesn't the goods loco do its own shunting? Well, while the route to the loop and the platform have respectable curves, the rest of the dock line doesn't just go down to 15" R1, it goes down to 10". Little 0-4-0's are happiest there.
Add warehouses, tanks and cranes to taste.

Chris
This looks like a fun layout :D A good opportunity to try your hand at scratch-built track too as you can save a bit of space with custom pointwork. Bending the 'rules' slightly by enlarging it to 6x5 would allow for a slightly easier radius in the bottom corner.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

flying scotsman123 wrote:
Chris; all your photos here seem to have disappeared, which is a shame, maybe have a look if you've got some spare time?
Just seen. I've tidied my photobucket and it seems to have wrecked the links: I'll see if I can do some restoration.
ttreba

Post by ttreba »

Found this thread while looking around the www for 6x4 plans … more just to while-away the time than any real interest in actually building one. But I've now found myself getting quite intrigued by the possibilities of such a layout. I like that it allows for a semblance of realistic operations, manageable by one person, while having a bit of a childhood trainset feel to it, although the scenic treatment could have some impact on that I suppose.

I've had a fiddle with the original by Emettman and have managed to ease-out to R3 and R4 in some places. For easier viewing I've not shown the upper station layout, but would likely use the one suggested by Kentishman as it helps to give a slightly wider operating well. If I were to build this, I'd have access on all sides so the 2 points under the upper station wouldn't be an issue. Everything on the lower loop is R2/438mm radius.

I've set the upper section height at 70mm, giving a 1in37 incline, although am wondering if maybe 80mm would be better.

The hidden loop on the original has been replaced with just a siding which I envisage using for an autocoach or railcar type shuttle to/from the upper station. It could also of course, be extended onto a larger fiddle-yard if wanted. Other trains would be 2coahes with small/medium tank engines and mixed goods.

I've used the metric version of 6x4: 1830x1220mm.
6x4a.jpg
Chuffing along s l o w y
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It looks good to me. :)
ttreba

Post by ttreba »

Mountain wrote:It looks good to me. :)
Thanks.

I had another little fiddle, increasing the elevation to 80mm resulting in a 1in32 climb and inserting a couple of 38mm straights (Hornby R610 / Peco ST203) into the lower loop to shift it 'south' a little:
6x4b.jpg
I'm imagining this would quite suit an urban/inner city location, lots of retaining walls and a couple of industries to provide for various traffic.
Chuffing along s l o w y
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Yes. A nice city line that is busy and yet is a single line. A great plan. You may need to get a lot of little people on your layout to create the "Scene". But yes. A rather nice idea. It reminds me of Cardiff where after leaving Cardiff Central if heading east, the main line dips down a bit and the branch line goes up and over the main line and heads towards Cardiff Queen Street and beyond. Ok, Cardiff Central is far too big to model, but the line going up to pass over the main line does give an idea as to what your layout looks like. Incidently, when I was a guard, if we had to wait at the signal on the lower main line, we could look down and below that was a road which one could see glimpses of it if the rear cab (Or guards compartment if I worked engine and coaches but I don't think... No. I would be much further back with E&C workings) was lined up in the right place.
ttreba

Post by ttreba »

Mountain wrote:Yes. A nice city line that is busy and yet is a single line. A great plan. You may need to get a lot of little people on your layout to create the "Scene". But yes. A rather nice idea. It reminds me of Cardiff where after leaving Cardiff Central if heading east, the main line dips down a bit and the branch line goes up and over the main line and heads towards Cardiff Queen Street and beyond. Ok, Cardiff Central is far too big to model, but the line going up to pass over the main line does give an idea as to what your layout looks like. Incidently, when I was a guard, if we had to wait at the signal on the lower main line, we could look down and below that was a road which one could see glimpses of it if the rear cab (Or guards compartment if I worked engine and coaches but I don't think... No. I would be much further back with E&C workings) was lined up in the right place.
Thanks very much for inspiring me to have a look at some pics and maps of Cardiff Central - quite an impressive place - and yes, I can see how the plan reminded you of it. It'd be great to add some 'depth' to the layout with a glimpse of a road under the tracks as you've described - it'd certainly add to the inner city feel. Might take some planning, and a bit of carpentry, but not impossible.
Chuffing along s l o w y
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It will be rather nice to see what you come up with. :D
ttreba

Post by ttreba »

It'll be quite a while till I can even think about making a start, but will post and let you know if/when I have something to show :)
Chuffing along s l o w y