Salvaged components from old compact cameras

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Bigmet

Salvaged components from old compact cameras

Post by Bigmet »

In the past I have been able to salvage motors from wrecked 35mm SLR camera motor winders, where some past owner has left the AA batteries installed and they have ruptured and corroded some of the interior workings beyond economic repair. (Canon in particular had a Mashima 1830 equivalent unit, a most excellent motor.)

New territory for me, compact cameras. We are in house clearance at present, as my father in law recently had to go into care, and among the many, many found items to go were two old Olympus trip compacts, both long life expired. I had the first one to pieces last night, and what was inside was a very neat cylindrical can motor of 2129 dimensions, single ended 1.5mm shaft, five poles. No evidence of any distress running on 12V with a little load, and has plenty of torque from dead slow. Salvaged construction screws from the camera will fit the threaded holes at 15mm centres at the shaft end too. Good spare motor for a couple of old kitbuilt tank locos which have ample space inside.

Also a 160microfarad capacitor. If I ever need stay alive, that baby may come in handy....
End2end

Re: Salvaged components from old compact cameras

Post by End2end »

It's amazing what you can salvage from old things.
I used some watch cogs and other bits for desk detritus in my water tower. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Peterm

Re: Salvaged components from old compact cameras

Post by Peterm »

Sounds good with the motor etc, but you'll get absolutely no use for a stay alive with 160uf.
Pete.