Another pannier question

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
muggins

Another pannier question

Post by muggins »

When did Bachmann produce the most recent batch of pannier tanks, and what were the part numbers for the BR black ones?

While I'm at it, how on earth does one find out information like this? My searching never gets me anywhere if I don't know the part number!
Bigmet

Re: Another pannier question

Post by Bigmet »

muggins wrote:...While I'm at it, how on earth does one find out information like this? My searching never gets me anywhere if I don't know the part number!
Truthfully, with increasing difficulty. Bachmann once had a good easily accessed site which told you much of what you needed to know, with a few clicks. But it got 'upgraded'. Now it is just guesswork, and when you get to what would be the right location, the information isn't there. All they want to tell you about is what is in stock and what will be next to arrive. So it has been set up purely for the purpose of selling what is available, and what soon will be available. For the benefit of their customers, who are the retailers.
When did Bachmann produce the most recent batch of pannier tanks, and what were the part numbers for the BR black ones?...
Dunno. but there's one here on Hattons site. https://www.hattons.co.uk/502697/bachma ... etail.aspx
For all but Bachmann - with whom Hattons have had a bust up, and so no longer stock - Hattons site is my first port of call for RTR OO information of this sort. (I read that their site is about to be 'upgraded' too, so rather fear that it too will descend into the imbecility that is most model railway retailer sites: 'No we don't want you looking at the stock you are specifically interested in, we want to show you all the stuff that hasn't shifted, in the hope you will LTWTL, and then empty your wallet in our direction out of despair or something'.)

But if you can find a stock number on Hattons then you are laughing, because that's a starting point for a search.

Then, with a little google-fu, that led here:
https://www.modelraildatabase.com/locom ... tails/744/

Might be a useful site, probably worth taking some time to see what it can tell you.

I suppose buying the annual catalogues might help, but that's money...
muggins

Post by muggins »

Bigmet wrote: ... I suppose buying the annual catalogues might help, but that's money...
... which I'd much rather spend on trains!

Cheers Bigmet. It's a relief to know that it's not just me and my weak Google-fu. I've tried the Bachmann site before when trying to get to the bottom of various mysteries, but I've invariably started LTWTL before very long.

Ref that pannier on 'atton's site though, does 2013 seem about right to you for the last run? I have no idea ...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Sorry, I have no idea either, drysider y'see, and I bought all the Bachmann panniers I needed for their 'Ramsbottom/Crewe' dimension wheelbase, (along with a fleet of 3F Jinty for their Derby wheelbase) back in summer 2008 when Hattons felt able to sell them to me at (ignore next bit if price sensitive) twenty eight notes a throw.

You are price sensitive of course, you won't buy catalogues, sensible man. Last Bachmann one I have is 2010, given me by a retailer after I had used a copy from the mag rack to identify the items I wanted to place orders for. Sensible retailer, that.
So looking at that, the listings were 32-207 for an 8750 in BR black late crest and 32-214 in BR black early crest.

One further thing, Bachmann now offer two panniers, cannot remember what the other one is and how it differs, and by year end should be offering the third: which is a 94xx and I only know that because there's quite a number want, want, want !!!
muggins

Post by muggins »

Thanks once again mister. I'm not particularly taken with the 94XX, but for no real reason. What I'd really like is a new or as-new 32-216, which is the late-emblem BR black 57XX with coppertop chimney. I actually got all excited earlier this evening when I spotted a brand new one on Ebay, but alas the picture on the listing was immediately identifiable as one of Hatton's secondhands. The picture's now disappeared and the listing's been changed to "used" ... :roll:

ETA Al lchange - I've now realised that 32-216 doesn't have a coppertop chimney. The one I was looking at had been painted (very well indeed) ...
Last edited by muggins on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

So what's LTWTL?
Pete.
muggins

Post by muggins »

Losing/lost the will to live.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Sometimes followed by TMOASMN (take me outside and shoot me now).