Hornby 0-4-0 gears. The next step

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Mountain

Re: Hornby 0-4-0 gears. The next step

Post by Mountain »

It is interesting. It is only by experimenting that one finds easy solutions. I have seen brass gears and worms for sale which may be an answer from a non model railway source, but I have not bought them yet.
heda

Post by heda »

Yes, experementing, for me at least, is part of the fun. In theory the gears I have ordered should make the loco more controlabe at low speeds as well as reducing top speed and increasing pulling power. Changing down from 20 teeth to 26 teeth is quite a difference. They will take a little while to arrive as there coming from Australia but once there here I'll give it a try and post my findings .
Dave
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I'm not sure the loco will pull better as for these little locos the weight makes the difference.
heda

Post by heda »

Yes that's a good point.in my case it's not a problem as my loco is an old hornby with cast metal chassis and will only be shunting half a dozen wagons, not sure if the new lightweight 0-4-0's will pull any better, but I've ordered a couple of gears and will try to get some sort of comparison in due course.
Dave
Byegad

Post by Byegad »

Bufferstop wrote:
Dad-1 wrote:ngresley thats cruel !!

I can understand Bufferstop getting so excited at the thoughts of a reasonable running Hornby 0-4-0
his spelling went to pot ......
Geoff T.
Actually Geoff it's a downside to using my tablet's spell checker. - it automatically applies the Google AI checking which I suspect isn't always totally autonomous, it sometimes makes substitutions for perfectly good words with other words which might be expected to come up in conversation. It's major annoyance being that it can do it many seconds after you typed in the word. I've spotted it having happened in other peoples posts. One thing the AI get's right in a logical way which is an annoyance for a modeller is changing the units of a scale model to ones more plausible for the real thing, substituting metres for millimetres for example. You just gotta watch these 'ere machines, they get power crazy if you don't speak sternly to them.
Yes, that spall chicken is a pain in the harris.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Lowering the gearing will allow the loco to pull better, same as dropping to a lower gear in your car, but if the load is too great it will allow it to slip its wheels instead of possibly just stalling the motor.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Aha Byegad you mean the "spill chucker" :wink:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions