Peco 0 gauge track (code 143 / 32mm)

Discussion on OO, and O gauge garden model railway design and construction. (scenery, track laying, electronics)
Halsted

Peco 0 gauge track (code 143 / 32mm)

Post by Halsted »

Hello,
can I run IP enginnering, Swift Sixteen or HGLW 16mm gauge wagons on Peco 0 gauge track (code 143 / 32mm) ?
Many thanks for your replies.
Chris
Last edited by Halsted on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain

Re: Peco 0 gauge track (code 143 / 32mm)

Post by Mountain »

SM32 should run on 0 gauge track without any problems in the same way that 0-16.5/0e/0n30 can run on 00/H0 track. Sm32 and 0 gauge share the same gauge width. The only forseeable issue maybe if any SM32 stock may have very deep rail flanges. Now my understanding on IP Engineering is that they are SM32 models. I used to have an SM32 Mamod, and I believe Mamod will run on 0 gauge track if I am not mistaken. I never did buy any track.
It would be a good plan if no one else can step in to give the answer, to ask one of the older model railway shops who have sold a range of different gauges who will be able to confirm or deny what I say through experience. I believe it will work fine, however, coarse scale 0 gauge may not run on code 143 rails and some coarse scale 0 gauge modellers have used SM32 track to run their models which has a deeper railheight to it. (I do not have experience in this so I am going by what I have read in model railway magazines). SM32 model shops will know if this will work.
Halsted

Post by Halsted »

Thank you very much Mountain. I got this answer from HGLW (they manufacture 16mm gauge kits):
"I have not tried this. They are designed to run on Peco sm32 track, which is code 200. You may find that they bump on the rail chairs on the lower profile O gauge track."

http://www.hglw.co.uk/index.html

But this guy used 00 gauge track (code 100) ! http://mdlr.co.uk/sc.html
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The thing is, unless the manufacturer or the model shop has tried it, no one knows.
A few 0 gauge enthusiasts have used code 100 rails to represent light railway track.
If you have a means to turn down any deep flanges, it is not going to be a problem. Ok, single cast pairs of wheels may pose a problem to do this, but it is not impossible.
Halsted

Post by Halsted »

Thank you very much Mountain. I got this answer from Swift Sixteen (they manufacture 16mm gauge kits):
"Not really, the O gauge rail is a lower profile so the wheel flanges bump over the O gauge chairs."

https://www.swiftsixteen.co.uk
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Ah. There. At least that is a question answered.
I know it is not a problem with 7mm narrow gauge on 00 track because most mechanisms used are from 00 gauge chassis.
Ok, they don't work on 0 gauge track, but you can use 0 gauge wheels on SM32 track. At least this option exists if you have to make wagons.
Halsted

Post by Halsted »

Thanks for all your replies Mountain.