McBuffys projects

What are you up to on your workbench
Mountain

Re: McBuffys projects

Post by Mountain »

Very good. At first as the pictures slowly loaded up I thought it was a 12" to the ft scale. :D
Chops

Post by Chops »

Exquisite. I continue to be amazed at the quality of these card stock kits. Practically unheard of in the US.

Back in the '70's, a firm called "Suydam" made some kits, largely composed of card stock. They were quite primitive by comparison, so when I first started hearing about card stock, I was like, "huh???"
Nessie rocks!
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

well some more projects been knocked out

hopefully these will help with the cables going round corners for the manual switches

next was finding these laying about at work and the idea hit me right away soo

marked out

snip snip

and thats all for the projects part. think they are going on the back burner for a while as i am focusing on getting the "play area" sorted out as it is a mess
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

it's a sad day, one on the buildings has been deemed unfit for purpose by the local authority and had to be knocked down...............

the reasons were it has been left unattended for sooo many years (months) it was a hazard, demolition company came in yesterday and started work, the site manager did say he can salvage some of the build

(excuse the mess on the floor. Local street cleaners are on strike....)
BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

Right I need some guidance please

I have these platforms I got from a job lot purchase last year,

They are airfix but a lot of the legs have broken (which I can solve that issue)

The issue I have is there is only one side to the platforms. Now I want to convert them to have both sides there, however I don’t want to destroy the other ones to make a set so would I get the same effect if I use brick faced plastic card and did some scratch build to make them the same??

Or has anyone else got a better idea??

Much appreciated

BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

Problem solved just figured it out as it was much simpler than I thought

Ordered a sheet of finescenes 401 and 404 plasticard from this forums website shop

And popped into the local model shop to grab some evergreen strip which turned out to be the right size (no a bad guess) i could have got those plasticards from the local shop as well but seen as it was my first time in there I now know I can get parts quickly and at about the same price roughly as online

Also knock another set of boards up at work today as I’m going to change one for these and have a bridge across

BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

So plasticard turned up and it turns out i needed the 401

and this was the 404

cut into strips and dry fitted to see fit

looks good so far

strengthen the back of the walls up

tried to put paint on but turned out crap so i primed them with Poundland primer

got some primer spray on the walls outside so also knocked up a little spray booth for me (no pics unfortunately)

painted up

tried my hand at weathering the platforms......

decided i was wasting my time as my little boy would be interested in that much fine detail

needed more legs for the board bases i have made so knocked these up at work

T shaped to save space/weight

next tried my hand at scene modelling.....

turned out meh

popped to shops and saw these in Poundland (good for fences)

also looked for a fine mesh sieve but nothing i saw then saw a splash guard.....

cut a pot up and hot glued onto mesh and voila (now waiting to fly zapper to arrive as there wasn't any in the shops)

BuffyMcBuffer

Post by BuffyMcBuffer »

Bagged myself another Routier Brakeman with two controls so i can now have four different power output feeds to the track.

I'll be letting little man have 3 and i would like to use one for a fiddle yard if i can get one made.

Also bought myself a ion generator and i am collecting parts and bits to put it all together to make a nice static grass applicator with multiple attachments.

Been following the Arduino guides on here which have been really useful and appreciate the effort people put the time in to doing them.
got a level crossing wired up (need to be transferred to pcbs which i have got) and then attach to layout
four way traffic lights but i might just use two way and again transfer them to pcb's
i am waiting on some leds which i want to put in houses and use the variable/random times they come on but again i need to wire it up on my breadboard and play with it then connect the whole lot to a mega Arduino (which is on the way) to run the whole layout (hopefully)

Can't think of anything else at the moment as i have also been fixing up my work bike (needed new chain, cassette (rear cog to you peeps) and found the free-hub (the bit the cassette goes on to) loose) so i ended up getting new wheels as well.

Anyway more updates with pics to follow hopefully

#############################################################################

UPDATE

ok so here are the pictures

I have been trying my hand at some scenery with some failed attempts (i don't like how the polystyrene looks and will be ripped off)

so i thought id try different types of water

this is some £1 yacht varnish from poundland

more added

and the final fill

looks ok for a dirty pond i guess

Arduino projects i did as well

Fly swat grass applicator which i deemed rubbish....

and a few more pieces i picked up from poundland

tub and epoxy are for the grass applicator 2.0

sticks are going to be used as wire fencing

and i am trying the "glue hanging basket down and rip up when dry" method which isnt turning out great so far but i shall persist

and my newer brakeman arrived, i really do like these controllers