New Collector, old Collection

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Obsidian87

New Collector, old Collection

Post by Obsidian87 »

Hi just introducing myself.
Inspired by the model shop located in northwich, I decided to dust off my fathers railway set and start making a layout in my garage. Having found that one of the trains is too old and past my expertise to fix (an old intercity train) i am sticking to the diesel loco and designing an industrial layout for my first attempt.
My first question will have to be whats the best power supply and speed controler to use as mine is old and mostly burned out after many hours of use by my younger self and my father. I dont want to delve into DCC just yet and the missus doesnt really want me to spend too much.
Any advice would be most welcomed
End2end

Re: New Collector, old Collection

Post by End2end »

Hi Obsidian87 and welcome to the forum. :)
The Intercity may be an easy fix. I'm sure the knowledgable here could guide you to get it running again. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Obsidian87 wrote:Hi just introducing myself.
Inspired by the model shop located in northwich, I decided to dust off my fathers railway set and start making a layout in my garage. Having found that one of the trains is too old and past my expertise to fix (an old intercity train) i am sticking to the diesel loco and designing an industrial layout for my first attempt.
My first question will have to be whats the best power supply and speed controler to use as mine is old and mostly burned out after many hours of use by my younger self and my father. I dont want to delve into DCC just yet and the missus doesnt really want me to spend too much.
Any advice would be most welcomed
Hi Obsidian87 - Welcome to the forum, like most of life, the "best" power supply will depend on how much you want to spend, the Gaugemaster controllers are very good, but if you can get your hands on an old Hammant & Morgan Clipper or Duette then these are cheaper and virtually indestructible if a little crude compared with modern controllers but if you are running old stock these will be perfectly good.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Welcome on board, Obsidian87.
Many years ago I used a Hammant & Morgan Duette. It gave great service.
Now I have a Gaugemaster Combi controller. Another favourite.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Welcome Obsidian
We are a nice friendly group here. There are lot of very knowledgeable people amongst us and some great modellers too. As a person who runs a vintage layout I use both the H & M Duette and Clipper.
BrightonMan

Post by BrightonMan »

Welcome to the group. I use a Gaugemaster small combi, think it was about £35. I also have an old H & M that I've had for years. Totally agree with the comments above, they are bullet proof.
kebang

Post by kebang »

I see, like most of us, you are trying to keep your costs down so you might wish to consider this option for an inexpensive controller:
https://www.budgetmodelrailways.co.uk/accessories.html
The case costs 3.50GBP.(+postage). The electronics from Ebay are about another fiver (post free), thats the power supply & the PWM controller for speed and directional contol.
I have a couple of cases on order, as well as the electronics. I expect delivery in about 3 weeks time (I live in the Philippines and mail from abroad is very slow to arrive)
So by the middle of January I should have assembled one an be able to report upon how good they are, compared to the one from the little hornby train set I purchased in November.
Usual disclaimer: I have no connection with 'budget model railways', although I enjoy their U Tube vids!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

A word of caution about the H&M controllers. (Bear in mind I still have a couple in regular use as my basic DC test units.) While well constructed by the standards of their time, the 'double insulation' feature does present a potential hazard. Protection from a mains voltage shock from the casing is entirely dependent on the mains wiring insulation and connection integrity, and the grommet protecting the mains lead from the case edges.

A fault in these construction aspects is potentially lethal, and a user was killed by such a fault.

An electrician should be requested to perform a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) and full inspection, and rectify any defects before use.
b308

Post by b308 »

Which also applies to any old controller you may get secondhand... Times move on...
Obsidian87

Post by Obsidian87 »

Bigmet wrote:A word of caution about the H&M controllers. (Bear in mind I still have a couple in regular use as my basic DC test units.) While well constructed by the standards of their time, the 'double insulation' feature does present a potential hazard. Protection from a mains voltage shock from the casing is entirely dependent on the mains wiring insulation and connection integrity, and the grommet protecting the mains lead from the case edges.

A fault in these construction aspects is potentially lethal, and a user was killed by such a fault.

An electrician should be requested to perform a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) and full inspection, and rectify any defects before use.
Hi Bigmet, thank you for your concern but i am a qualified PAT tester and always preform a PAT on all second hand equipment i buy just in case (i dont like messing about with elecricity especially as both of my sons enjoy watching my train set at work)