Restoring my triang blue pullman

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
retiredoperator

Re: Restoring my triang blue pullman

Post by retiredoperator »

Hi Bufferstop. You seem like a most knowledgable modeller, and I would like some advice.
I have written on NRM about my LSWR M7 by Hornby, and the story that " it could not pull the skin off a rice pudding" not as though I have tried that. Now in after a lot of searching,head scratching, asking opinions and consideration?
I have bought a second hand GWR coach hoping that I can work a miracle my changing it into a LSWR coach. Am I wasting my time? Kev
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I can answer the weak pulling power. It is most likely a weak magnet as over time magnets lose their strength. It could be excessive oil resedue or dirt in the motor plates. Usually the magnets. These can be remagnetized or even replaced with today's super neo type magnets.
I've not read the rest of the post while I make this comment so if others have already given an answer I apologise for repeating.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Sorry I missed your post about the coaches, is this a GWR clerestory coach. If it is they are a fairly generic representation of a period coach. You could probably get away with just a change of colours, or if you have pictures of LSWR examples just the removal or replacement of various bits and pieces like buffers roof vents etc. The Hornby (ex Triang) clerestories have appeared in several guises in GWR, Midland and GNR liveries, adding LSWR to the list is hardly likely to be stretching credibility any further. I have a couple in GNR teak which I run with Furness Railway 0-4-0 tender loco number 20.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

I have just got three "Neo" replacement magnets for early Triang power bogies which were barely able to move even after I'd cleaned commutator and brushes.
The magnets were transformative.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

As recommended, I'd go with the Traing/Hornby short Clerestory coaches: their plastic panelling will make them much easier to relivery, you probably would not even require masking tape. Think about South Eastern Finecast flush glazing too, it's not expensive and the transformation is well worth the minimal effort.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Frankie2

Post by Frankie2 »

Excellent restoration job. Could you tell me what colour silver you have used on the roof as my Pullman requires the roof repaint. Thanks.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Southeast Finecast do cheap and cheerful flush glazing for the entire Triang Pullman set. Applied carefully, they are OK.

Paint job looks good,

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Looking at the first picture, it is quite an amazing restoration. :)
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Lysander wrote:Southeast Finecast do cheap and cheerful flush glazing for the entire Triang Pullman set. Applied carefully, they are OK.

Paint job looks good,

Tony
That's only for the reversed and fake final livery versions. The original blue body like he painted was flushed glazed from new with a printed one piece window.