Just saying hello

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
caragenous

Just saying hello

Post by caragenous »

Hi all

I have just joined the forum and am very new to railway modelling.
I have to admit that initially my main interest was in the modelling, electrics and electronics. Since looking into things I have become more and more interested in the trains. I am just beginning to build a layout based on a station in Norfolk in 1960. The one I had in mind had a creamery and a granary both based around the station, though possible in different eras.
I am looking for any information on trains that would have been used in 1960.
Any information is greatly appreciated.

Tim
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.
Dublo

Re: Just saying hello

Post by Dublo »

Hello Tim

Welcome to the forum, we are a friendly group of people here. If anybody has the information that you require, I'm sure that they will be willing to share with you. Any pictures of your layout you would be willing to show us ?
burnie

Post by burnie »

Hi Tim, I used to travel by train from Leicester back then, are you planning mainline station or branchline?
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Hi Tim,

Does it have to be 1960 because some classes that worked that area were gone by then. D16's worked that area of the country as did B12's and J15's (all available RTR).

Have a look here; http://brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=d ... cos&id=394

A glance down this list shows many locos that are available or soon to be available RTR. B1, B17, J39 (old tooled model, new in progress), V1/V3 (old tooled model), L1, K2, K3 and N7.

And there may be others that I've missed. This is just from one shed and you may find that other sheds held more classes that are available.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hi Tim - Welcome to the forum

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi Tim. Welcome on board.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Hello.....
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Tim welcome to the forum, any questions you may have ask away.

John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
caragenous

Post by caragenous »

Dublo wrote:Hello Tim

Welcome to the forum, we are a friendly group of people here. If anybody has the information that you require, I'm sure that they will be willing to share with you. Any pictures of your layout you would be willing to show us ?
Thank you very much.

It is all very much in the planning stage at present. I am still contemplating size, as I have a double garage but I also use that as a workshop so am trying to come up with a work around.

Tim
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.
caragenous

Post by caragenous »

mahoganydog wrote:Hi Tim,

Does it have to be 1960 because some classes that worked that area were gone by then. D16's worked that area of the country as did B12's and J15's (all available RTR).

Have a look here; http://brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=d ... cos&id=394

A glance down this list shows many locos that are available or soon to be available RTR. B1, B17, J39 (old tooled model, new in progress), V1/V3 (old tooled model), L1, K2, K3 and N7.

And there may be others that I've missed. This is just from one shed and you may find that other sheds held more classes that are available.

Jim

Thanks so much for the information and list JIM, very interesting indeed and just what I was looking for. I am still trying to work out how the abbreviations to certain models and to what work they did. I choose 1960 only because I actually remember seeing the steam locomotives on the station around then and thought I might have travelled to Norwich via Wymondham on one though it seems as though they had been pulled from passenger work by then. I might have to make it slightly earlier, though the only rolling stock I have is a Britrania class 7MT, in late BR pulling 'The Norfolkman' coaches. I appreciate that this would probably have never run on this line, instead going to Norwich from Liverpool Street then Sheringham. I would still love to incorporate it in the layout.

Tim
caragenous

Post by caragenous »

burnie wrote:Hi Tim, I used to travel by train from Leicester back then, are you planning mainline station or branchline?

This is branch line and though a small village station due to the United Dairies creamery and a large granary it does add quite a bit of interest, especially for a first layout.

Tim
burnie

Post by burnie »

You'll be needing at least one of these then...………………..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3415 ... SwXtNaXh0f
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

caragenous wrote:
burnie wrote:Hi Tim, I used to travel by train from Leicester back then, are you planning mainline station or branchline?

This is branch line and though a small village station due to the United Dairies creamery and a large granary it does add quite a bit of interest, especially for a first layout.

Tim
Right, J15 on freight with perhaps an N7 with a couple of coaches. K2's are a little on the big side for branch work but that isn't to say they wouldn't've ventured there. V1/V3's and possibly J39's as well. K3's are out, too big as are the B1 and B17 though the B12's might have wandered D16's as well. L1 might be a little on the big side but it's your layout so use modeller's licence if you like any of these locos!

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Sails

Post by Sails »

Welcome Tim,

Plenty of friendly and helpful chaps here,

Mark