bargin

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
numbnuts846

bargin

Post by numbnuts846 »

As i am getting back in to the hobby again and collecting stuff for a loft layout i was lacking a controller so i popped down to the only model shop in weymouth. Howleys toymaster for the said controller just a basic one so a can run an oval of track for my locos. Now heres the good bit. Total cost for basic one is £25 plus £18 for transformer... I looked up an brought the toy story 3 train set instead for £32 with same controller track and train. Ok the train might not fit my layout but its already taught my 19 month old lad how to stop and start the trains .it was down from £80 as well
After 23 year gap i am back in the hobby i love and my son of 20 months is following in my foot steps
Tiddles

Re: bargin

Post by Tiddles »

Nice find :D

I saw one on eBay for £34 free P&P :shock:

I was going to get the set when it came out in the hope I could detail the train. But when I saw it I realised what a horrible model it was. No piston rods and molded on trucks so am not surprised that retailers are giving it away :lol:

But for that price it may be worth making piston rods and fitting the coach body's on to Athern waggon chassis.

Tiddles.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

They make good potential conversions for 0-16.5 (0n30 or 0e) use.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

numbnuts846 wrote: I looked up an brought the toy story 3 train set instead for £32 with same controller track and train.

Alert, Alert!
It may not apply to yours, but an awful lot of these have defective meshing between the worm gear and the drive wheel.

See locos for sale on eBay
"Condition:Used
“Excellent appearance but gear slipping.” "

If spotted before the gear wheel is chewed, a slight shim at the rear of the motor can ensure a more reliable tooth engagement.

I bought two locos and both had this problem, but I was changing the motors anyway. and building 0-16.5 locomotives.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I've noticed a few other modern mechanisms with massive gaps between the worm and the cog they drive. Wierdly they are the sought after mechanisms due to smooth running qualities. Yes they have hardly any friction and so will run exceptionally well, but they won't last long as they are only just catching the teeth between the worm and the cog the worm drives. You'd be surprised on the modern locos I have seen this potential issue with.
It is difficult these days in that as soon as one removes the body one potentially voids any warranty, yet its only by removing the body that one sees potential issues to make adjustments to correct them before any excessive wear takes place.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If the instructions say anything about lubricating parts inside the body, removing it can't invalidate the warranty, similarly if there's a DCC socket in there. A civil court would probably not uphold that restriction in any circumstances. Only if an item is clearly marked "no user serviceable parts inside", would it be considered a reasonable restriction.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Mountain wrote:I've noticed a few other modern mechanisms with massive gaps between the worm and the cog they drive..
I've had Dapol/Hornby pugs of various ages that were better for a shim adjustment to the motor alignment. The gears there are pretty fine.
Not all: maybe 50%?

Chris
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The ex-Dapol now with Hornby small steamers (Terrier, J94, L&Y Pug) are all variable for motor alignment and gear mesh because the plastic mouldings that hold the motor and the gear shafts are made on what is now worn tooling. A little flash on the mouldings and consequent distortion on assembly makes the gear mesh something of a lottery; seen everything from the worm just bearing on the tips of the teeth as described above, to worm binding on the worm wheel leading to noise and sluggishness. It's a shame because the base design is actually competent, and will run sweetly long term if sorted.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Which leads us back to the question of quality control.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Bigmet wrote:... seen everything from the worm just bearing on the tips of the teeth as described above, to worm binding on the worm wheel leading to noise and sluggishness. It's a shame because the base design is actually competent, and will run sweetly long term if sorted.
Seconded!

Chris
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Often done deliberately to allow for eccentricity in the bore of the worm, leading to a shushing sound as the wheels rotate. I've actually found better consistency in the nylon moulded gears from the Chinese bargain packs than you get in multiple specimens from Hornby. Dad-1 reckons they probably make one in 10,000 that's spot on. Well that's tough luck chaps, 'cos he's got one of them and I've got the other. It could be quite a while before another one comes around.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions