Strange Problem with a Bogie Tank Wagon - Help Needed

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Hornchurch

Strange Problem with a Bogie Tank Wagon - Help Needed

Post by Hornchurch »

'

As per title, I have a strange problem with a Bachmann Bogie Tank Wagon.

I've acquired one, only to find that it's rattling like mad from inside the cylinder.

It's obviously a 'counterweight' to add gravity to what is otherwise a lightweight piece.

Damn thing is rattling around inside & whilst I know it probably WON'T on the track, it's there !

So, my question is (to those who have one, or knowledge of it's construction)....

"Is it possible to gain access from underneath, by dismantling carefully" ??

"Or, is it (most likely), ONLY accessible by splitting the ends of the PAINTED Plastic-Cylinder" ???

I'm loathe to do the latter, lest I do harm to the smooth & excellent paintwork & livery.

Sensible suggestions please....

Last edited by Hornchurch on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigmet

Re: Strange Problem with a Bogie Tank Wagon - Help Needed

Post by Bigmet »

Since no one else has jumped in. I don't own one, but have seen a few; and taken apart an awful lot of models, including some of Bachmann's current railway wagon models.

Careful look along the underside first. Are there any hints that anything below the tank barrel is clipped in or screwed on? (Probably helpful to take the bogies off.) These may conceal openings into the tank interior. (It's unlikely the barrel is a full cylinder its whole length, would make mould release more difficult.) Moulding technique is very good now and close fitting clip together or screw attached parts often look like a solid piece. A bright light behind the model while you flex it a little may reveal such well concealed joins.

The ends are clearly separate components. I'd look at those - as you obviously have done - as another natural access point. They may simply be clipped in, possibly also tacked with a little cement. I would explore from the underside to see if one of the ends is looser than the other and might be worked free without visible damage.
Hornchurch

Post by Hornchurch »

'

Many thanks for your reply BigMet, it's very much appreciated

Re: Your 2nd paragraph, yes, there appears to be a very narrow thin-strip, screwed-in, tiny, tiny screws
(think smallest jeweler type from a watch), & yet I can only see TWO of them, but I guess there'll be FOUR

This thin narrow-strip has ALL the underchassis detail molded to it.
Seems pretty clear to my untrained eye that in order to gain access (above), the bogies NEED removal.
I sound like a real chicken here (cluck), but I'm loathe to do any damage & could USE advice on the bogies.

If I do venture forth to remove them (bogies), how many turns will suffice ????
(most important for/during re-fitting - lest I overtighten them)

Plus, am I likely to lose ANY bogie retaining items within the (seemingly) inaccessible cylinder itself ????

As these things are damn expensive, I'm loathe to fork it up & make matters worse.
Thankfully, the exterior is pristine, so the "end-cap" removal option is a clear "no-go" for me.
(it would most certainly scar the paint/Join-line & destroy it's current pristine appearance)

There must (surely?) be one of you guys out there who's done this on a Bachmann twin-bogie tank wagon ?
(maybe not even repair, but possibly during a livery change ?)
Oxley

Post by Oxley »

Hi Hornchurch,

I had the same issue but my method was a touch brutal. You know how you shake a can of spray paint
with the marbles in it to mix the paint - well I gave the tank a couple of hard shakes but mainly in one direction
and the weight popped one end off. No damage, just dry glue to clean up on the end, glued the weight back in
and the end back on.

Worked for me but maybe I was lucky. (definitely no skill involved).

Regards.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Popping the end off using the loose weight as a hammer, ingenious! The description of the way the end cap came out is what I would expect, push fit with just a light 'tack' of cement to hold it in place. (Bachmann's construction generally is like this, strong enough to 'hold' but fairly easy for the modeller who may want to take things apart without damage, just one of the reasons I like their product so much.)

Bogie removal, the pivot screw usually needs 3 to 4 turns to release. Put a radial scratch in the blacking of the screw head, and you can count the number of turns to undo. Done carefully you will not do damage; and I couldn't tell you how many 'stripped' threads in plastic I have repaired on s/h models. It's very easy, a short piece of plasticard strip in the stripped hole, add a smidge of liquid cement, put in the screw. If that's not enough to hold, two pieces of plasticard strip, etc..
Hornchurch

Post by Hornchurch »

Oxley wrote: Hi Hornchurch,

I had the same issue but my method was a touch brutal. You know how you shake a can of spray paint
with the marbles in it to mix the paint - well I gave the tank a couple of hard shakes but mainly in one direction
and the weight popped one end off. No damage, just dry glue to clean up on the end, glued the weight back in
and the end back on.

Worked for me.
-
Bigmet wrote:
Popping the end off using the loose weight as a hammer, ingenious!

The description of the way the end cap came out is what I would expect, push fit with just a light 'tack' of cement to hold it in place.
(Bachmann's construction generally is like this, strong enough to 'hold' but fairly easy for the modeller who may want to take things apart without damage, just one of the reasons I like their product so much.)

Many thanks for your replies chaps.

OXLEY = Whilst at first reluctant to use your method, after much thought, I gave in & tried it.

Took longer & FAR more vigorous shaking than I ever imagined = FINALLY, it gave way...!!!!!!

Relieved is putting it mildly, as I managed NOT to damage the underside detail or end-cap**.
(**that was my initial fear, thinking that I'd damage the paint-surface, at the joint)

It came away clear & I photographed the results..... (I'll try & upload them here?)

ImageBACHMANN - BP-SHELL WAGON 019 by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr

Copious amounts of 'clear' UHU glue (Yellow/Black packaging) AFTER tacking the bar down...
(with Loctite super-glue, aka, Cyanoacrylate in "Gel" form)

Made a bit of a hash with the ladder, initially, but got it sorted in the end.

Funny how that "rattling" counterweight bar drove me to distraction enough to deal with it :lol:

(once again), Thanks for the advice.

ImageBACHMANN - BP-SHELL WAGON 014 by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr

Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That's good to see, nice job. Hopefully that gives you some new confidence in fiddling around with Bachmann product.
Oxley

Post by Oxley »

Glad it worked for you with no damage.

Oxley.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Good one. If that had been me, I'd have ended up with nice slot exactly the same size as the weight in the end of the tank. :)
Pete.