KLEAR is back, under a different name

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
TimberSurf

KLEAR is back, under a different name

Post by TimberSurf »

For those that do a bit of styrene kit construction and other modelers like wargamers and rail, there was a go to product on sale in the 80's and 90's that was designed to seal your lino floor with, after cleaning with a mop, that never saw the kitchen, as it was the ultimate sealer/varnish for the modelling cave!
Branded 'KLEAR' and made by S.C.Johnson, available in all high street shops cleaning shelves, it was priced at about £3 for 500ml and was a bargain (for a modeller). It disapeared from shelves for a few years and returned as a "new improved" product but was no where near as good and was yellow! (originally called 'klear' as it was transparent and dried transparent!)

It has recently re-appeared (in the states) as a product called Pledge Floor Care Finish
It is every bit as good as KLEAR and in fact reported as slightly better (new chemical technological improvements)

So great news for the countries that stock it, but postage to UK is a bit steep. Price varies greatly, but around £10 plus £20 postage! :o
If your cherished bottle of KLEAR is empty, at least you have an alternative, but for us Brits, it defeats the point of it being the ultimate product if it costs more than proprietary modellers paint suppliers offerings!

So please post if you see it in your local supermarket or if you find it cheapish online (my bottle only has about 3ml left in it! :roll:)

For those that are unaware of its tributes watch this
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Mike Parkes

Re: KLEAR is back, under a different name

Post by Mike Parkes »

TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Mike Parkes wrote:Could this be the same https://www.homecareessentials.co.uk/pr ... l/w0195new ?
I believe not! It can be used in a similar fashion, but it is a milky liquid with with a pungent odour and is nowhere near as good as Klear.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Wow the difference of the canopy on the video linked is amazing! :o
I wonder how much it is in bulk?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread